Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #1

Winterizing mistake?

When I winterized my grey wolf 26bh yesterday I dumped antifreeze in the fresh tank and ran it through lines but I bi passed the water heater first.I found these directions in the user manual and even got help from the dealer over phone and I was not advised otherwise. Now everywhere I check says NOT TO DO THIS.What did I get myself into?
Grey9712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

First you should know that you did not damage anything by putting anti-freeze into the fresh water tank. RV antifreeze is potable - meaning its safe to ingest (although it tastes bad and requires more AF and more money than you need to spend). You can install the Camco RV pump converter winterizing kit for the future so you do not need to fill the FW tank.

Also, bypassing the water heater the way you did was perfect. It doesn't need to have AF in it for the winter.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Was your antifreeze pink? The pink bottle should have a lable that states it is safe for humans) Your freshwater tank should have a drain cock valve. Drain it (till it stops dripping). Mix one table spoon of bleach and one gallon of fresh warter and pour it in your freshwater fill connection. Do this at least twice, I fill and flush mine at least three times every six months or if the water I was filling with had a foul odor or taste. Then just run your FW pump until all the pink is gone. Oh ya start with the faucet farthest away from the pump.

Happy Trails
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #4

Yes it was pink.Thank you both. donanddona should I do that when I de winterize?
Grey9712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

After you flush out your fresh tank several times, you should also sanitize all lines with Bleach solution. RV antifreeze may not be poisonous like car antifreeze; but it does support bacteria growth.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

yes yes, simple to do so do often...
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #7

You said you bypassed the heater, thats the right move, do that every year when we winterize. You didn't mention if you drained the hot water heater, I will assume you did, if not make sure you do so
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #8

One of the first things i do on my 5th wheel is open all the drain lines..bypass the water heater and drain it. also open pressure relief valve ..(seems to speed things up when draining wh )..pump the pink stuff through all water lines till pink has been coming out for 3 seconds..fill all the traps with pink stuff..dont foget the outside plumbing ..shower...faucet...blank tank flush lines.. good luck !!!