Old 09-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #1

Winterizing, One question

Hello All

This is my first time winterizing and I have one question, it's about step 6 below from the manual. I'm not sure what tank they are referring to. Is it my fresh water tank or the tank holding my antifreeze or another tank?
I have a 2015 329BHT Lacrosse.
Thank you

Winterizing With Antifreeze Only
1. Purchase 4-6 gallons of RV approved, non-toxic antifreeze.
2. Drain all tanks (fresh water and sewage tanks).
3. Turn water heater bypass valve to bypass position.
4. Drain water heater.
5. If you have a water filter system installed, remove the filter from the assembly and discard. (You will need to purchase a new one and install it when de-winterizing your unit.)
6. Fill the tank above minimum water pump operation level with the RV antifreeze. (Use of a long funnel may be helpful.)
7. Turn the pump switch 'ON' and open the cold water side of all faucet fixtures. Leave the faucets open until the antifreeze (generally pink in color) flows out of the faucets. Repeat for the hot water side.
8. Flush toilet until antifreeze is visible inside the bowl and pour one gallon of antifreeze down the toilet to winterize the black holding tank.
9. Pour antifreeze down each shower/tub, lavatory sink and kitchen sink to fill p-traps.
10. To winterize gray tank(s), pour one gallon down each related sink drain.
Dewinterizing Your RV

Old 09-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it looks like that wants you to pour antifreeze in your fresh water tank and then use that to pump throughout the camper.

A much better alternative (IMHO) is to install a fresh water tank bypass system....I'll see if I can get a picture to post. If you do a search in here, I'm sure there's lots of instructions already.

(Its a bypass kit that you attach right next to you water pump. When winterizing, you switch it and then run a hose into the antifreeze and then run the pump which gets it through all of the lines.)

Once you do it a few times, you'll only need 2-3 gallons to winterize.

6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a handy video on how to install it...you only have to install it once and will make your winterizing/dewinterizing MUCH easier. (I also use it in the spring to pump a water/bleach solution to everything to get it all squeaky clean.)

6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
Pickin' & Campin'

RE: # 6.... Do you have a dedicated antifreeze tank tank where the water pump can draw from?
It would require a couple of valves (to bypass the fresh water tank and city inlet) to turn to be able to draw from this tank or maybe simply a connection directly to the pump.

If your rig doesn't have something like this (and quite frankly I've never seen a dedicated antifreeze tank) then I suppose they are talking about the fresh water tank.

My advice... don't add antifreeze to your fresh water tank.
It will take forever (if ever) to flush clean next spring.
BUT... to be able to suck antifreeze into your plumbing, you have to have some way of getting the antifreeze to the pump. If your rig doesn't have a antifreeze draw point inlet, (or hose near the pump) you are either going to have to plumb one in or make the decision to dump antifreeze in your fresh water tank.

I would opt to install an antifreeze draw point.

Just my 2 ˘.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #5

Since you have a 2015 model RV you most likely have a bypass valve already installed on or near the inlet to the water pump. Locate your water pump and you should find a "T" valve with a short piece of tubing ( a couple feet long) that has a cap on it. That is the tube you put into the jug of RV anti-freeze. Just turn the valve on the bypass "T' and turn on the pump to suck the anti-freeze. Sometimes it takes a little help to prime the pump. You should be able to winterize with about 2 gallons (or less) of anti-freeze. DO NOT put anti-freeze in your fresh water tank (step 6). Make sure you drain your WH tank (check the anode rod for erosion if it is a Suburban WH) (don't forget to bleed the pressure on the water system before you drain the WH tank or you will get a bath and open the relief valve to speed the draining process) and turn the bypass valves located on the back side of the WH so no anti-freeze goes into the WH tank. Most likely there will be 2 valves to turn to bypass the WH, there is a check valve on the outlet side of the WH so no valve to turn there. Many YouTube videos on winterizing so check around. Also, open the drain on your fresh water tank, I usually open it when I leave a camp site on the last trip of the year so it will drain thoroughly while traveling. As far as putting anti-freeze in the "P" traps you will automatically do that when you run water from the faucets. Same goes for the black tank and grey water tank, you will be putting fluid in those tanks as you winterize. Add some if you like but really isn't necessary.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If your rig doesn't have something like this (and quite frankly I've never seen a dedicated antifreeze tank) then I suppose they are talking about the fresh water tank.
Camco makes a winterizing kit that has a dedicated anti-freeze tank used mainly for boats.

Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize