Old 10-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #1

winterizing question

I've owned a Coachmen Class C for a couple of years and store it outside under a carport in the cold Wisconsin winters. I've only blown air through the city port to purge the lines and added rv antifreeze to the drains. Seems to be working ok. I do understand some people pump rv antifreeze into the lines. How necessary is this?

donkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #2

I am not familiar with your particular RV but main concerns would be the same in any northern winter climate, drain fresh water supply tank, drain low point drains, by-pass, isolate hot water tank if it is conventional, drain and flush and drain hot water tank leaving it empty. I have tried the air only methods but am more confident of success when I see pink in all outlets including bowl after flush. I remove water filters and faucet screens at beginning of process and disconnect shower hose. and allow pink to back flush to city inlet after the rest of system is filled. Each unit is going to have different individual connections but principle is same.
At the risk of being positive, I followed directions and repeated what local dealer does. Dealer actually sends reminder and has brief class in how to winterize in fall.
Good Luck

updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #3

Have always done our own winterizing and have never done the air method. I prefer to run the pink stuff through all the plumbing (except water heater) so that I know all the water is out of the system. Have never had an issue except the one year I forgot to pour some antifreeze in the toilet. Our seal dried out and the next spring the toilet would not hold water. Only way to repair the seal was to remove the entire toilet from the unit. Now I always put just enough in the toilet to keep the flapper covered.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #4

I too have always winterized my unit with the pick stuff. I just feel much safer with it. I dont want to deal with busted water lines come spring. I could only imagine trying to find, repair a water line in the walls and floors. The less repair I have to do means more time camping.
happyttowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:22 AM   #5

I always do both, just to make sure I get ALL the water out. When I blow the lines out, I notice that even after having the air running for a LONG time, there is still considerable moisture coming out in the form of a very fine mist. Sometimes you can't even see it until you put your hand under the faucet for a while and eventually drops of water form. This makes me afraid that that water will collect someplace and freeze enough to cause damage. I've heard several different people say that the only place they had a froze line was in a very small elbow in or near the toilet. As another poster pointed out, a lot of the water fittings are in very difficult places to locate (in walls, under cabinets, in the enclosed underbelly). So after I blow it out, I run anti-freeze through the lines. I'm pretty liberal with it, just to be sure. So I got 6 gallons for about $18. Well worth the peace of mind.
A2pfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:34 AM   #6
NH Maple Maker

On my first TT a previous owner hadn't winterized it properly and the pipes under the bathroom sink had frozen and split. I had to remove the bathtub and work around the toilet and vanity to replace the broken pipes. I wouldn't want to do that again even though my current TT has a lot more room to work. I run the pink stuff through for peace of mind. Two gallons of RV antifreeze at Tractor Supply cost less than one gallon at CW without the Good Sam discount.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #7

I have heard that the blowing method alone does not get all the water out as mentioned, but specifically does not get the water out of your pump and you can split seals in there. I always blow then add the pink stuff. never had a problem. Dont forget to add a splash in all your drains when done, just to be sure and run your outside shower.
ChrisMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger5301 View Post
Have always done our own winterizing and have never done the air method. I prefer to run the pink stuff through all the plumbing (except water heater) so that I know all the water is out of the system. Have never had an issue except the one year I forgot to pour some antifreeze in the toilet. Our seal dried out and the next spring the toilet would not hold water. Only way to repair the seal was to remove the entire toilet from the unit. Now I always put just enough in the toilet to keep the flapper covered.
One way I found to combat that problem is in the fall when I winterize, when I'm done, before I pour AF into the bowl, I "PUT ON A PAIR OF RUBBER GLOVES"...I depress the flush pedal and apply Vasoline to the entire seal...Topside and underside. In the spring, most of the AF is still in the bowl, with some gone due to evaporation.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #9

winterizing question

I’ve wondered if anyone ever runs pink stuff through the lines, then blows it out? That way there wouldn’t be as much of it stinking up the lines, but it still would have removed any water that may have been left?
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
I’ve wondered if anyone ever runs pink stuff through the lines, then blows it out? That way there wouldn’t be as much of it stinking up the lines, but it still would have removed any water that may have been left?
There is one poster here that does exactly that. Seems like an extra step to me but whatever works....

Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter