Old 06-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #1

Wireless backup cams

Our 2015 Flagstaff 26WFKSS, came with the little dohickey on the back of it, that is for a backup cam.
I think I would like to do it, but I'm not sure how much of this is pre rigged. The dealer wanted to sell me a complete kit, that included what is on the back of the trailer. Is there a second kit for those like me, who have some of the parts already installed? I already have plenty of extra stuff. If I don't have to buy the whole kit, it'd be nice.

Also, for those of you who have them already, how well do you like it?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #2

Wireless in general sucks IMO. I don't have the heart to tell DW that since she got one for Christmas. I just about have her convinced that all the static and no picture is okay. I tend to use my extended mirrors more...

I have a dohickey on the back of my trailer and it's just a vent.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #3

This is the real deal, as far as the mount on the back of the trailer goes. I've been reading some stuff about the poor reception with the wireless. I was wondering if they had made some progress, since they were coming out so-so pre-rigged from the factory. They wanted north of $400 for the whole system at the dealer. I'd hate to spend that kinda money for a great idea, with poor results.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #4

I installed a wireless unit on our 2012 Rockwood 8244, 5th. Got the system used from Ebay, it is an upscale system but worth EVERY penny IMO. Very easy to install (bid not want to go the wired system), 7" colour screen, clear as a bell in daylight also night vision works extremely well. Also a valuable safety feature in "seeing" who is behind you when driving normally, changing lanes etc. Would not on the road without it.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #5

I've got a 3-day old (to me) Rockwood 8282WS and a DW who's not a particularly good backup aid. Since it has the Furrion housing pre-installed, I was looking at that but this thread indicates that its $475 to get the camera and monitor.

That seems a bit too much for a single-function so I checked into what Garmin has for combined GPS and backup cam. Turns out they have an RV-specific 7" GPS with lifetime maps and traffic (RV-760LMT) and a backup camera add-on (BC-20) in a package for about the same price.

Garmin products have always been good to me for decades (have 4 of them now - plus one POS Magellan) and needed a new one for the TV anyway. It says the transmit range is less but rather than transmitting straight from the camera like the Furrion, the transmitter is on a rather long cable so you can place it more optimally (not stuck with xmit from where the camera is). The camera should fit in the Furrion housing because it looks much smaller. The 8282WS has cabinets along the top of the back wall so I should have no trouble connecting the transmitter to the camera even if I have to drill a hole from the housing and then finding some place inside the trailer where the signal will get into the cab of the TV.

I've got one on order and will let you know how it goes.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #6

The Garmin route is something I hadn't considered. I think they purposefully mounted the Camera mount on the back of the trailer to catch the slow ones. I'm hooked.
I think I'll stick with the Furrion, unless I hear something ugly about them. Hopefully they did the whole prewire, and didn't just screw the bracket onto the back of the camper.
I found a PDF, that explains the install, and how it works. There is the bracket kit which is already installed, and then the rest....which is the $400 plus dollar doodad, that has the cam, and the reciever/screen. You remove the face filler that is held on by 4 screws, and then plug the camera in, and screw it into place in the holes that held the false face. It looks pretty straight forward.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #7

We ordered our Columbus with the Voyager wireless camera installed. We also just completed a 2 month trip all over the West & NW. We did loose reception occasionally for a few seconds, but overall I was very pleased. It works great for backing, changing lanes, passing, & during heavy traffic to see that very small car on your bumper. I will not be without one again.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
I've got a 3-day old (to me) Rockwood 8282WS and a DW who's not a particularly good backup aid. Since it has the Furrion housing pre-installed, I was looking at that but this thread indicates that its $475 to get the camera and monitor.

That seems a bit too much for a single-function so I checked into what Garmin has for combined GPS and backup cam. Turns out they have an RV-specific 7" GPS with lifetime maps and traffic (RV-760LMT) and a backup camera add-on (BC-20) in a package for about the same price.

Garmin products have always been good to me for decades (have 4 of them now - plus one POS Magellan) and needed a new one for the TV anyway. It says the transmit range is less but rather than transmitting straight from the camera like the Furrion, the transmitter is on a rather long cable so you can place it more optimally (not stuck with xmit from where the camera is). The camera should fit in the Furrion housing because it looks much smaller. The 8282WS has cabinets along the top of the back wall so I should have no trouble connecting the transmitter to the camera even if I have to drill a hole from the housing and then finding some place inside the trailer where the signal will get into the cab of the TV.

I've got one on order and will let you know how it goes.
Dave- I think i saw you picking your trailer up last week at Sauders? Welcome! I have a Motorola wireless baby monitor go for free on TD Points. Have tested and works just fine. Need to mount the camera in a waterproof case now for final install.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #9

Best wireless backup system we have ever used is 2 iPhones One of us (we switch-hit backing) is the spotter who calls the other on our hands free blue tooth installed in the TV.

A hour or so swapping roles on a sunday afternoon in a empty parking lot should sync you two up finely.

Kibitizer avoidance mechanism: Have spotter wear earbuds and driver keep the windows rolled up
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Dave- I think i saw you picking your trailer up last week at Sauders? Welcome! I have a Motorola wireless baby monitor go for free on TD Points. Have tested and works just fine. Need to mount the camera in a waterproof case now for final install.
Yes - that would have been me and the DW.

If you had been past there yesterday, you would have seen the whole rig backed up to a service door at Bast getting its GY Marathon LRD's. They look so much more confidence-inspiring than the 'Trail Distress' LRC's that came on it... like a normal tire, not like sorry water balloons. The Marathons were a little older (date code 3513) but at least they probably came from the same run (two different date codes on the originals). Still from China though. Wanna buy some low mileage LRC's before they go on Kijiji?

To get back to the topic, the Garmin GPS/backup camera kit arrived yesterday so I'll be installing shortly. Should be no problem fitting it in the Furrion housing - the Garmin camera is a little smaller than a golf ball. There's also a wire loom that looks like its coming from that area into the center of the cabinets along the top of the rear wall. Hopefully this is what carries the power for the Furrion mount and I can both tap into it for power and snake the cable to the Garmin transmitter through it.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote