Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #1

Wireless rear camera

I am wanting to put a rear camera on my fifth wheel for both backing into a site and also being able to monitor traffic that is behind. I want something that is color, with night vision. Could some of you that have camera's give me advise. Thank-you.
Michigan-traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #2

The Garmin RV GPS has a option to install a wireless camera. We have considered doing it, but have not as of yet. I have talked to some folks who have installed the camera and they report that it operates reasonably well.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #3

I use a Voyager WVOS511 from rvcams.com

My 5er is 40' long so I moved the antenna using extension cables to the front cap.
Before doing so the monitor would lose signal from the camera.

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #4

I have the voyager remote camera on our 33' Wildcat and it works great. We do not have any "drop out" and the camera antenna is in it's original spot-attached directly to the camera. Very happy with this system.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
Broke and happy

RV Safety Wireless works pretty well but needed their booster kit to avoid signal drop.
bobfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
Roger and Paula

Problem with wireless is interference from other signals on the frequency. Have one on my PU.
Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #7

Thanks for the information. I have narrowed it down to either the Voyager WVOS511, or the Jensen WVOS511 which appears to be the same, but is $50.00 less. Does any one have further information on the Jensen? Thanks again.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #8
Roger and Paula

If you go out on Google, there are review sites that will give you reviews. I bought a Tdibrothers. Wireless is easy installation but the wires can get in the way. Plug and play, essentially. Lots of YouTube installation videos.

For an RV, I would look at permanent on as opposed to only when the backup lights are on.

That being said, I put a hard-wired unit on my motorhome. See if you can get a hard-wired unit that will allow you to unplug at the same point as your TT hookup. Image is much clearer, powered off of the dash display.

Good luck.
Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan-traveler View Post
Thanks for the information. I have narrowed it down to either the Voyager WVOS511, or the Jensen WVOS511 which appears to be the same, but is $50.00 less. Does any one have further information on the Jensen? Thanks again.
I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers, Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras and the Advent brand of appliances.

The WVOS511 is in fact a Voyager branded product. All of our observation equipment (monitors & cameras) are branded as Voyager. We also make JENSEN audio/video products, including JENSEN in-dash stereo/navigation/observation units for RV's. It would appear this may have lead to some confusion in how the various retailers have listed this system.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call our Technical Services dept at 877-845-8750 M-F 8:00AM to 6:00PM EDT and they will be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

jensenrvdirect
JENSENRVDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfa View Post
RV Safety Wireless works pretty well but needed their booster kit to avoid signal drop.
I have a wired Rear View Safety system. It's good stuff. Very well made! No doubt their wireless is as good.
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #11

Rear Camera

Self installed system. Hardwired. On all the time. Two cameras, 1@120 degrees, 2nd@90 degrees. Works good on the road and backing up. Got it on ebay.
2OLDDIGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:50 PM   #12

voyager makes a good camera system. They hold up pretty good for Ag use and that's a pretty rough environment.
iowasparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
The Garmin RV GPS has a option to install a wireless camera. We have considered doing it, but have not as of yet. I have talked to some folks who have installed the camera and they report that it operates reasonably well.
I've got the BC-20 backup camera option with the RV 760. The BC-20 does not have night-vision capabilities. I guess if used with a car, the reverse lights might be good enough to illuminate the scene but there is no such thing on most towables.

The camera range is also not totally sufficient from the back of my 5er to the GPS on the dash - it drops out enough that the GPS screen keeps flipping back and forth. Garmin is not the only brand with this problem and I admit I'm right on the edge of the stated range.

With the GPS, this is most annoying when its getting dark at the end of a winter's day travel and you really want it to stay on the GPS screen for those last few mile directions but the automatic headlights have already switched on the running lights. Wouldn't be so bad if there was a setting to keep the GPS from automatically switching to the camera whenever the signal "drops in" but there isn't. I bought the extension cable and am in the process of relocating the transmitter to the front end to deal with that.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:47 PM   #14

I thank all of you for the good information.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:08 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
I've got the BC-20 backup camera option with the RV 760. The BC-20 does not have night-vision capabilities. I guess if used with a car, the reverse lights might be good enough to illuminate the scene but there is no such thing on most towables.

The camera range is also not totally sufficient from the back of my 5er to the GPS on the dash - it drops out enough that the GPS screen keeps flipping back and forth. Garmin is not the only brand with this problem and I admit I'm right on the edge of the stated range.

With the GPS, this is most annoying when its getting dark at the end of a winter's day travel and you really want it to stay on the GPS screen for those last few mile directions but the automatic headlights have already switched on the running lights. Wouldn't be so bad if there was a setting to keep the GPS from automatically switching to the camera whenever the signal "drops in" but there isn't. I bought the extension cable and am in the process of relocating the transmitter to the front end to deal with that.
Good to know Furion isn't the only one with bad range and drop outs. I have a 15 ft SMA cable going to move the antenna closer to the truck on mine.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote