Old 09-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #1

With a heavy heart...

I bid farewell to this community. While I wasn't a prolific poster - I was a prolific lurker. You guys taught me a lot about camping in general and Forest River in particular...

After 3 RV shows and visits to 4 different dealerships, as much as our heart was set on FR, we ended up buying an Open Range Light 5th Wheel. I once said that I wouldn't trade our FR 2304S for anything, that was before we adopted a third dog...

Drive safe, camp a lot, and build wonderful memories! Thanks for everything!

Old 09-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #2

As others will say... You ain't got to leave.

Thanks for the warm wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
I bid farewell to this community. While I wasn't a prolific poster - I was a prolific lurker. You guys taught me a lot about camping in general and Forest River in particular...

After 3 RV shows and visits to 4 different dealerships, as much as our heart was set on FR, we ended up buying an Open Range Light 5th Wheel. I once said that I wouldn't trade our FR 2304S for anything, that was before we adopted a third dog...

Drive safe, camp a lot, and build wonderful memories! Thanks for everything!
There's more to the FRF family than owning a FR unit. You are welcome to stay and share. Many RVs are very similar.

BTW - congrats on your Open Range Light 5th wheel!

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #4

It is said that knowledge is wealth, why not stay around and become rich. Well, rich with knowledge anyway.

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
Site Team

Just because you are now a SOB (some other brand) Doesn't mean you need to run away.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
Experienced Newbie

Stay and chat with us.
I own a Cougar but come back here for the banter and other general information

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
Anacortesians

I expect to be doing the same before the end of the year. Unlike you, we're bagging it altogether. We've had a 4 years with our Georgetown, after buying it from the original owners, who'd had it 8 years.

We've had the typical nit-picky problems, but two of them were troublesome and one is till not resolved.

Last year, 2 days before leaving on a 4-week trip down the Oregon and Northern California coasts, the OEM fridge (a Dometic) died. There was no time to get it replaced, so we set out planning to rely on ice. Yearh, sure! We must have visited every Fred Meyer store along 101, from Astoria to Brookings. New fridge - $1800! At two weeks of that, we decided Brookings was the southern tip of the trip and headed home.

We picked up a couple of minor body dings on the trip which I'll be getting my local body shop to take care of before we put the rig on the market.

The second major issue is the generator. When we bought the rig at 8 years old, it only had 48 hours on the Hobbs indicator. We've since pushed it up to about 70, but two years ago, over the winter break, I had cardiac surgery. Convalescence took longer than anticipated, and I didn't get out to do the monthly "exercise the genny" routine. It hasn't run since. I think it's going to need professional intervention.

We're giving things up becuase of the cost. We started out with a 26' Class C when gas was $1.75 a gallon and it was rare to find a CG overnight price much above $15. gas is up around $3.75 to $4.25 and even State Parks are pushing $30. On a limited retiree budget, it just doesn't work for us any longer.

Since we won't be RV-ing in anything, It's doubtful that I'll remain in this brand-specific forum. I might stay with iRV2.com or RV.net for a while, but who knows?
Old 09-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #8

Just because you bought an Open Range (congrats by the way) doesn't mean you have to leave.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #9

I lurk on other brands plenty - but I gotta say, this place is different... It has a "je ne sais pas" thing...

I probably will get another brand next for budget reasons. If I could go to the rallies it might be different.

(I have even used knowledge gained here to look like I know what I am talking about elsewhere... don't tell anyone though.)
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #10

F and E Damp--I visited Anacortes once. Beautiful place. Must be a lot of great local camping. Good luck with everything.

GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote