Old 03-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #11
There are other groups of women RVers. Just do an Internet search. Sisters on the Fly are located in the west, so if you live more central or eastern, one of the other groups may have a chapter in your area. We are awaiting the arrival of our TT so I don't know if I will ever go by myself. Thirty foot long might be too much for me to handle by myself. Time will tell!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #12
Site Team
There are a lot of female solo campers, and they can surely offer advice and cautions but what really matters is your ability to take care of everything alone. Practice at home with husband hitching up, towing, taking down and operating systems will give you the confidence you need. Try a few short weekend trips with hubby and do everything yourself. I bet you can after a few dry runs. Best of luck.

2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #13
My wife surprised me when i got home from a guys trip to Oklahoma. I got camper unloaded and was getting ready to go dump holding tanks in a field, we live in country, and she asked if she could drive. She did a great job of turning our 39ft 5er. She even wanted to back it beside our garage, she was a little crooked. But it was good enough for me
nducker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:42 AM   #14
CampingGator, Sisters On The Fly is the largest women's camp group in the United States - it's not just a west coast group - it's a nationwide group.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #15
We have our trailer on a seaonal site so I pack up the dogs and away we go!
I love to go eary May and late Sept when rv park is quite and I am usually the only one in our area. Great time to rest relax and read!!
norma264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #16
My DW did all the towing before we met. She lived with her mother and they did local and long distance trips. She has towed a trailer form Ontario to Florida and from Ontario to BC (over 3000 miles one way). Just take your time and do not be afraid to ask for help. You must realize that most campers are ready to help another fellow camper in need. Now get out there and enjoy yourself.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #17
I guess it depends on the Mister, but if he is there, he will want to help or nonverbally show disapproval. To encourage you, though, I had me and my 6yo DD during setup Friday and, as I was backing up, a neighbor immediately walked over and guided me while backing up. I'm a guy, but we need help too sometimes. I'm still learning (only our third trip) and I have found folks willing to help and offer advice.
bakwoodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #18
Backing up is all about practice, practice, practice. Gender does not factor in.

I agree with above, there's always someone in camp to help, too.
Eric, Tara, and most of China
2013 Camping Nights: 2
2014 Camping nights: 31
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:02 PM   #19
So is there standard backing in lingo, or signals? My kids will try but I can't understand their signals.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:24 PM   #20
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
So is there standard backing in lingo, or signals? My kids will try but I can't understand their signals.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

As a boater, we use "port" or "starboard", or you can use passenger side/driver side rather than left or right (which gets confusing for obvious reasons), and if handy, cell phones or walkie-talkies. My $.02.

2015 Grey Wolf 27RR
Ford F150 FX4 SUPERCREW 5.0L
2011 Harley Davidson FLHTP
bigoil7 is offline   Reply With Quote