Old 10-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #11

The old adage "if momma isn't happy, no ones happy" should apply here

I understand your thought process, but having just moved up to a Hard sided TT from a large pop up. Heres my two cents:

Not all pop up are equipped with Restrooms, and pretty sure the DW will not accept a hike at 2am to use the outhouse.

Set up... Rain, putting canvas out after rain, etc.. it sucks...Other than leveling and plugging a few things in.. we are ready to camp in about 15 minutes.

Storage... everything except our clothes and food are in the camper.. .we can be ready to go in less than an hour

We started with a small TT. It fits our needs, but you couldn't pay me go back to a pop up. We don't worry about the rain coming or going, how much time we have to get ready, etc...

I think you are making a mistake, you need to elimnate the things that keep you from going, not change your equipment

Old 10-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #12
Paradise has arrived!

We are in a tt in a permanent cg. Our neighbors moved in last year with a pup and he's already talking about a tt. Permanent site is not the same as "real" camping but thought I'd through in my 2 cents. He tiried of the cramped conditions pretty fast and it's just him and the wife. If you've never used a pup maybe you guys can rent or borrow one for a few days. Even if you just spend the days in your driveway you'll get a feel for the lifestyle. Try to pick a few rainy days just to make it realistic!

Old 10-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #13

If you are struggling to find the time or will to get camping I think a pop up would only make it worse. I loved sleeping "in the eves" of our pop up but the up and down, load and unload was daunting. Easier to stay home! A m/h or TT is so much quicker and easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #14

No canvas on and a-frame. Happy wife, happy life!

I have thought that a smaller rig would be good for the sake of fuel costs as well as less concentration required on long hauls. I may move down to a 23 footer, but I really don't want the hassle of canvas. I'd get a hi-lo before I did a Pup or a-frame. Partly because when we need to go inside away from everything else, cloth sides don't really provide the privacy we look for.
Partly because we have dogs that may decide that chewing on canvass is a great idea after they get bored.
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #15

I would like to chime in and add an "older" woman's perspective. I agree totally with your wife...you may both be in excellent health and great shape....but time does take a toll, and women and men ARE different. Downsizing makes perfect sense, both from an economical point of view, and ease of maneuvering the unit. However, it is unrealistic to assume that it is no big deal for a woman to give up a fair size rest room and a comfortable bed when the facts are that aging is happening all the time, and those "luxuries" make camping and traveling comfortable. YOU may not want or need those luxuries, but most older women do...otherwise, the trip may be fun, but sleeping and taking care of nature calls can be miserable...before long, the trips stop being fun altogether. That being said...have you looked at the 19 to 23 foot Micro Lite travel trailers? A used one would cut the expense, in case you don't use it as often as you plan, and the comfort would still be there on trips...and the smaller units go just about anywhere a pop up would go. Hope you find a unit you both enjoyand hope you'll let us all know what you decide on...and why you decided on it.

2012 V Lite 30WFKSS
2011 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
WWTTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #16
Site Team

Have you also considered the R-pods? I haven't tried them myself, but my dealer highly recommended them when my parents were looking for something around the size/weight of a Pup but without the setup.

As other's have said, if you're having trouble justifying taking the motorhome out, you'll need something that will make it easier to get out and about instead of something that's just going to turn into a pain to setup every time. If you're buying again, the goal should be to get out more. Otherwise, just sell the motorhome and rent for those few times you do feel like going out.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #17
ARLO

Are you trying to convince your wife, us or yourself??? We had three popups and remember all the times we had to set up and take down in the rain. Listen to your wife. Hard side beats popup every time. There are a lot of smaller tt's that are easy to tow and set up. I think a smaller tt is a very fair compromise between a MH and a pop up. I vote TT.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #18

Thought I would chime in here as I'm trading in a pop up next week on a TT. My wife and I were tent campers until we had kids. We bought a pop up two years ago to see if a camper was a good fit for our family. We had a lot of fun but my wife told me this year that she wasn't doing another year in the pop up. Kids aside, the pop up can be a pain - condensation, set up and take down, storing everything in bins, setting it up at home so the canvas can dry, trying to plan around the weather (I.E. packing up early because of the threat of rain), temp control, no "real" bathroom, on and on. To start out pop ups are great. I agree with many other posts that a small TT sounds like the way to go.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Have you also considered the R-pods? I haven't tried them myself, but my dealer highly recommended them when my parents were looking for something around the size/weight of a Pup but without the setup.

As other's have said, if you're having trouble justifying taking the motorhome out, you'll need something that will make it easier to get out and about instead of something that's just going to turn into a pain to setup every time. If you're buying again, the goal should be to get out more. Otherwise, just sell the motorhome and rent for those few times you do feel like going out.
We have a Palomini which is in that similar size class. The only long term issue I have with ours and the R-pods is the bathroom size. They are quite small and you have a wet toilet area after someone showers. It's still way better than standing on a step stool and taking a bucket shower but ...... This and preferring to have a better equipped kitchen is what has us on the long term requirement for something bigger (which doesn't mean huge).

I think you rental suggestion is a good one. Not only would it meet the occasional use problem but would allow the OP to try some different trailers and find something that both he and his wife could live with.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #20

Do you like being hot when it's hot? Cold when it's cold? Or do you like to kick back in a comfortable recliner and watch a big flat screen while the led fireplace flickers away with a tumbler full of good bourbon?

Sorry, I had a little moment there. I'll never go back to a pop up. Then again I live in the woods and use the 5er for getting out of the woods at shooting comps, fish camps and making the wife happy wherever she wants to go.

My 2cents

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote