Old 03-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #11
AKA: 'tiredTeacher
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
Does the "new" smell always mean it is from the chemicals that are in the building materials and if so, how long does it take for them to go away?
We are accustomed to associating off-gassing of materials and adhesives as a "new" smell. There are a lot of synthetic materials in a RV as well as an abundance of adhesives. Our 1995 Sunline we bought in 2010 still had a faint smell to it when we opened it up for a trip. (By the second day it smelled more like bacon.)

Wright and Penny
Richmond, Va.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
I read an article on how to get rid of it a while back. Can't remember all the specifics but basically it was to cook it out. Shut the trailer up tight with the heat all the way up for days at a time. Takes three or four cycles to completely burn off then it's gone for good.

taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #13
Thanks, everyone. The only thing we know about the TT is that it was owned by a couple in their 40's who had no kids but took their dog along with them. We were told they only used it twice and found out they didn't use it as much as they thought they would so they traded it in for a vehicle at the car dealership. I think I am mainly concerned about the "new" smell being from the chemicals used in manufacturing. I had heard somewhere that Forest River travel trailers tend to take a long time to out-gas so I was wondering if maybe that is why it still has that smell after 4 years. I know that when we go to the RV shows, there are some trailers I can't stay in very long at all until my throat starts hurting. Hopefully I won't have any problems once we are able to go camping in it.
2011 MicroLite 23LB
2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
zinger60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:20 AM   #14
Zinger, I wouldn't put any credibility into statements such as "Forest River TT tend to take a long time to out-gas". If that is going to be your thoughts going into this then you already "hate" your rig. Instead, threat it like it "IS YOUR NEW" travel trailer because to you, IT IS. Enjoy all of the features, components and comforts it will provide you and your family as you get out and explore this incredibility beautiful country we live in. Camping and all that's involved with it is a massage for your soul and sense of adventure. Enjoy the New rig!
2011 Georgetown 330TS
RAV4 on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #15
The best smell in my opinion for anything with wheels and an interior is the smell of ozone. Ozone deodorizes an interior and leaves behind the smell of fresh rain. You can buy an ozone generator pretty cheap off ebay for $100 bucks or less and it doesn't require anything but 110V to run it. Very little maintenance.

Important to know though, ozone replaces oxygen in the air, so it must be used empty and aired out, or bad things will happen if you decide to run it while occupied.
If you don't like my opinion, I'll give you a full refund on what you paid me for it.
ridersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #16
Burn some candles, put dryer sheets in and around the whole rig, buy the electric plug in air deodorizers, place raw onions out in the kitchen area to absorb smell and bacteria in the air......There are hundreds of things you can do to counter "smells". If the OP is freaked out about Forest River "gassing out" than they should quit now with camping other than a Coleman nylon tent. But on second thought the nylon and the chemical rain repellent and seam seal may give off odor too.

2011 Georgetown 330TS
RAV4 on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote