Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #1

Workamping yes or no?

Question: How many of you out there in forest river forum land does the workamping thing? I have looked at a number web sites and researched youtube and it looks very interesting and enjoyable. I am now retired and my wife retires next year. I have been talking to her about it and she loves the idea of being snowbirds. So if anybody has any information about workamping and your experience with it I would appreciate the input. one last thing we also ride horses, so workamping with horses would be great.

Jim
jjfmd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #2

Our son who is almost 40 and his girlfriend have been workamping for about 5 years. After years of owning and running a restaurant, he sold out his part and bought a used Winnebago. They traveled the country for about 2 years and loved it. They knew that sooner or later they would have to get back into the work arena but they loved the travel and the people they'd met so when some one told them about workamping, they looked into it and have been doing it ever since. They've been in about 5 different locations. One was not good, the last one was spectacularly great and they left only because of flooding in the area and the rv area was shut down..still is for water to recede and repairs to begin. He said he heard stories about people committing for 6 months at another place, only to find out their financial payment was held until the end of the sixth month commitment. The staff in charge made it so difficult that people would routinely leave without getting paid. They stayed far away from that place

He said the most important thing is to know the requirements/expectations of the park and be sure of your compensation before hand, no unanswered questions. Some have contracts for you to sign, some are on a month to month basis. He said not to be shy about asking specific questions and if you can, talk to current park hosts to see how they feel about the place. Son and his girlfriend are now in a new workamping spot and liking it there but they stayed there for awhile to see how it was run and if they would like it before they let the park know they were interested in possibly workamping. There is a workamping magazine and an email list to get on that will send you notice of jobs that are available. Also just ask at the park you go to if they have any openings. Not all workamping jobs are advertised, they are by word of mouth.

DH and I have already begun the process of talking to people at parks we've visited and reviewing the openings on the Workampers emails because we will be doing it soon.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #3

Depends on your work I guess. Pipeliner has a camper or gets to pay rent on a house or hotel. We don't stay in the nice pretty parks because I couldn't justify it when by myself and gone 12 hours a day. Might be different with family.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #4

My wife and I are getting ready to full time and workamp. Just like with jobs in the real world you have to do your homework when applying. There are many jobs advertised out there. Know what you want and what they're offering.

I've also seen jobs advertised that needed people with horse experience. It's not only campgrounds.

Best wishes and good luck.... to both of us!
GypsiesAtHeart2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #5

My wife and I have been KOA Workampers for the past 2 yrs. We love it ! We are from Florida and have been in Montana the past 2 summers. Working in Ozark, AL. for the winter then going to White Mountain NH next spring. You won't get rich at it but it gives you something to do and places to see and spending money. Places vary in how much time you have to work for your site and how much you get paid for additional hours...........We didn't have a contract at our current location , probably should have, but the next two we do have. Everything is spelled out , work expectations and hours , compensation , days off , like I said pretty much everything. Both parties sign it and it is a done deal.........Personally feel better with a contract and Highly recommend it...........If you have any questions , please feel free to PM me.
2012 40' Sanibel
Speed limit 65 , Fords & Chevys , do your best
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
jkoenig24

I haven't done any Workamping yet but, I have joined Workamper.com and subscribe to Caretaker Gazette. I'm still trying to get my house in NY sold. Once I do, I'll be a full timer at least for the next few years. I can see doing volunteer work in the future.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #7

We did on several occasions and it was fun, with one exception. Make sure you work in an RV park. By this I mean very few tents and pop-ups (I know this will offend someone!) We made the mistake one summer of working in a campground where 80-90% were pop-ups and tents. They will trash a bathroom!! We had to clean the bathrooms at least twice/day on weekends and you can't believe some of the messes. If these people live like this at home I would hate to see it.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #8
Ready to Go

Great information.. thank you all.. I am hopeful to start workamping in a few years.

2001 F250 SD 7.3 Turbo
2013 Sanibel 39' 5th wheel.
JeffLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #9

https://www.workamper.com/register-new-workamper

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
2016-17 days, 2017-zero days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #10

Some people use work camping as a way to see the USA and that's great and a great way to do it. But not for me, I'm retired from WORK and I am just plain lazy, I would not work in a pie factory tasting every 10th pie. But I see a lot people doing it, Yellowstone comes to mind

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote