Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #1

Worth the investment or just let it go ?

We still have our original 1987 Jayco 1006 Deluxe pop-up we bought after our second of four was born. We used it up to 2000 and it's spent the last 18 bouncing around the 4 kids. She finally came back home today and I'm pondering what to do. Sell off REALLY CHEAP, or make a restore project out of it. Interior is still in pretty decent shape...some minor repair on some woodwork. Plumbing needs to be replaced...modernize to electric pump and actual faucets. One bed rail need some work as a couple bolts are broke and there is water rot on the roof sidewalls. New canvas is a must, tires, upgrade electical (it's 115v 15amp service right now) and a paint job.
Canvas is looking to be $900 to $975 to replace. Is this worth the investment, or just cherish the memories and let her go ?
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180708_114444.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	178757
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:28 PM   #2

That 'vintage' trailer might be worth more than you think in terms of money.

As to worth restoring.... probably depends on how much time you want to invest.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #3

The bigger question is do you need a pop-up camper? If you do it's worth restoring. If not you will never get back your money from the restoration.
mbcabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcabinetmaker View Post
The bigger question is do you need a pop-up camper? If you do it's worth restoring. If not you will never get back your money from the restoration.
Good question. I'm sure if I redo it, one of the kids may want to start using it again...(hahaha...they'll have to buy it first)...We have 38ft Cherokee we bought new last year. We went to TT in 2000.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
That 'vintage' trailer might be worth more than you think in terms of money.

As to worth restoring.... probably depends on how much time you want to invest.
Definitely enough to last all winter long.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:49 PM   #6

With everything you mention that it needs, you’re looking at a fair chunk of money just for the materials. Unless you really want to own a popup going forward, I’d sell it and use the money on your next trip!
FWIW I sold my 1998 Flagstaff 12ft popup this year in excellent condition for $2400!
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #7

When we decided to move on from our tent trailer (years ago) we sold to cheap to a young couple just starting out. They were thrilled to be able to buy a meticulously maintained trailer and we felt good about being able to send it on to someone who appeared to love it as much as we did.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #8

If one of your kids is interested in putting in some sweat equity helping you rebuild it and owning it, sell it to them for whatever the cost of parts would be.

One of my best memories as a kid/teenager was rebuilding the engine of my first car with my dad. Although it was said that I would pay for the parts, it ended up being my high school graduation present.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
If one of your kids is interested in putting in some sweat equity helping you rebuild it and owning it, sell it to them for whatever the cost of parts would be.

One of my best memories as a kid/teenager was rebuilding the engine of my first car with my dad. Although it was said that I would pay for the parts, it ended up being my high school graduation present.
Now, that gave me goose bumps! What an awsome dad you were blessed to have grown up with.
And your right , that would be a GREAT father/mother and children project!
Rugman1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #10

A friend of mine recently restored a Coleman pop-up that the family has many memories of using 20 to 30 years ago. He gave it to his daughter as a present, and now a third generation is making memories with it.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugman1952 View Post
Now, that gave me goose bumps! What an awsome dad you were blessed to have grown up with.
And your right , that would be a GREAT father/mother and children project!
Dang. I guess I am blessed. I helped my dad with all kinds of stuff. Engines, clutches, brakes, various auto repairs,
yard/garden work(hated most of that), home remodeling, roof replacement, clearing land, fishing and hunting.....heck I thought most of that was WORK!!!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #12

Iwannacamp: The practical knowledge and experience you gained were/are priceless. You more than likely have benefited from what you learned during those formative years and have used it more often than not around your own home, to say nothing of your RV. You were blessed for sure.
card16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by card16 View Post
Iwannacamp: The practical knowledge and experience you gained were/are priceless. You more than likely have benefited from what you learned during those formative years and have used it more often than not around your own home, to say nothing of your RV. You were blessed for sure.
I am and thank you. I would not trade it for anything....well maybe the gardening I would. The rest of it has served me well.

If we were chatting I could tell you many stories about how little we had and "what it caused me to become" with tools. I have more tools than I can store. My dad said it was because we had to work with nothing and it "changed" me.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by card16 View Post
I am and thank you. I would not trade it for anything....well maybe the gardening I would. The rest of it has served me well.

If we were chatting I could tell you many stories about how little we had and "what it caused me to become" with tools. I have more tools than I can store. My dad said it was because we had to work with nothing and it "changed" me.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:19 AM   #15
Camper Bruce

Send a message via Yahoo to CamperBruce
as hard as it may be gift it if possible or sell it, I just sold my Pop Up, I had for 8 years - the young lady that bought it seems happy to have it. Camper Bruce
CamperBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:06 AM   #16

Only you can make that decision of what to do with it. No you can not make a monetary return on your investment.

Talk it over with the family then decide.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Dang. I guess I am blessed. I helped my dad with all kinds of stuff. Engines, clutches, brakes, various auto repairs,
yard/garden work(hated most of that), home remodeling, roof replacement, clearing land, fishing and hunting.....heck I thought most of that was WORK!!!
Me too, I still cherish those memories and as a result of the lessons he taught me still do my own maintenance on almost everything I own. I get a sense of pride and think of his lessons every time I do so.

Here is a suggestion, talk to your sons, tell them you want to "pass it down".

Id offer to purchase the materials and the first one who is willing to help you repair it, will own it. This way you will not only pass down the camper but the knowledge of how it is constructed and how to repair it as well.

Whoever gets will cherish it and maintain it well because they will have that knowledge. If none step up, Id sell it.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #18

If it was affordable, i would restore it as i enjoy that type of work and then probably give it to some young couple looking to start their own memories with their family. When my wife replaced her vehicle we were blessed to be able to give her vehicle to a young couple starting out as they did not have dependable transportation. We have been blessed and pass it own.
RnRushin is offline   Reply With Quote