Old 05-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #11
We purchased our new motorhome from the PDI was very good. Picked it up in Des Moines Iowa about 750 miles from Denver. Local dealers were $15,000-$20,000 higher and keep wanting to sell up units in stock. We had minor warranty work done at local dealers not problem. Good luck

edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #12
Bought ours over a 100 miles away. 2 trips back and bad service, will never go back to that dealer again. Had to get problems dealer should have taken care of done at a CW because none of the FR dealers near will not work on it because we did not buy from them or dealers are bad and won't take to them.

Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #13
I did...bought from RVW, customized it, had it shipped 2000 miles, and still saved a lot.

I think the local dealer warranty service issue is overrated. Many local dealers have poor service depts and you may do better with an independent RV repair shop that depends on good customer service. I fix most of my RV issues myself, but when brand new I had a minor repair done under warranty. RVW referred me to a local independent shop and FR paid the claim soon thereafter.

Some folks are lucky and have a local dealer that provides great service, but I do not think it is the norm.
2015 Rockwood A128S
2010 Rockwood 2604
2014 Ford F-250 CC SB 2WD
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #14
I think the answer is "it depends", and whether you are talking about warranty or out of warranty service.
In my case, I bought new from a dealer 600 miles away, because of a big price difference. Before buying, I asked if I could have warranty work done at another dealer, as I had no intention of driving 600 miles for warranty service. I was told that "I could have warranty work done at any Forest River dealer" (they meant any brand that Forest River Corporate manufactures; I have a Coachmen Prism).
That turned out to be not true. As an example, the nearest Coachmen dealer refuses to provide warranty work, because "the Dublin City Council has passed a law prohibiting them from providing warranty work on any RV not sold by them" (I'm not making this up).
I have had numerous conversations about this situation with various executives at Coachmen. The truth seems to be that Coachmen/Forest River(and probably most other RV manufacturers) cannot force a dealer to do warranty work. Some will, under certain circumstances. It's up to them.
As far as Wholesale Warranty, they claim to have a network of dealers that will provide service. I have had no experience with this.
The best advice has been given by other posts above: if you can, buy local, and establish a good relationship with the dealer. At the very least, speak to your local dealer before buying elsewhere, to determine what their policy will be about servicing your RV, in or out of warranty
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #15
Out of town dealers

We previously bought from RV Direct when we bought our motor home. No problems and they treated us great. We saved thousands over our local dealer even after including our travel expenses to go back and get it. (We live in Arizona).

We just ordered a hybrid trailer from Wana RV in Indiana as they had the best deal and good reviews. It is a great road trip that we are looking forward to.
LinCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #16
Yes - Yes in deed, drove from Alabama to Detroit to get the best deal - drove 750 miles for 6,500.00 -
lynn brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #17
Moderators' Assistant
We bought our HTT from a dealer 2000 miles away and went there to pick it up and drove back another 2000 miles.
We saved over $ 4000, even after trip costs, on a $ 22k MSRP trailer.
Forest River found us local dealers willing to do the warranty work.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #18
Bought mine in Buffalo NY-------live in the FL. issues, Camping World did the warranty work , no questions ask
"old hot rodder"
2011 Ram3500 6.7
2012 40' Sanibel
Speed limit 65 , Fords & Chevys , do your best
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #19
We bought ours 1 1/2 away each way and wouldn't do it again. The first year under warranty we must have made 5 trips.
Jo, Elliott, Cloey & Zoey (Havanese sisters)
Georgetown 2014 328TS; 2010 Toyota Corolla
JoanneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #20
Negotiated the whole deal including the trade in via text, email and phone with a dealer 389 miles from home. Beat the local price by 5 grand! Would do it again in a heartbeat. Local Forest River dealer would service with no problem even though they don't sell Shasta's.

2014 Shasta Phoenix 32RE 5th wheel.
2015 F250 crew cab 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4.
clicker1944 is offline   Reply With Quote