Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #41

Assuming tiffen people are snobs is as bad as assuming a homemade "camper" people are redneck, no?

Everyone assumes stuff. Let's all get over it.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #42

I don't consider myself a snob, but I wouldn't want to have to look at that thing parked next to me everyday at my seasonal site.

In the 80's my brother moved back from Oklahoma, everyone was too tight to rent a truck to haul his belongings. I built an enclosure on the back of our 3 axle flatbed fifth wheel that we hauled our 16,000 pound boom lift on. 2x4's in the stake pockets, nailed sideways into a bottom plate nailed to the trailer floor. Old corrugated aluminum we'd salvaged off of a smoke trail from a power plant redo we did was the siding and roofing. It held up from So. IL to Oklahoma and back. His house trailer didn't do so well, they blew out all 6 tires on it at one time or another.
Then we used it for material storage on the job, we were dodging scales pulling it around with that lift on it anyhow, started hiring a semi hauler to move the lift.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
I don't consider myself a snob, but I wouldn't want to have to look at that thing parked next to me everyday at my seasonal site.

In the 80's my brother moved back from Oklahoma, everyone was too tight to rent a truck to haul his belongings. I built an enclosure on the back of our 3 axle flatbed fifth wheel that we hauled our 16,000 pound boom lift on. 2x4's in the stake pockets, nailed sideways into a bottom plate nailed to the trailer floor. Old corrugated aluminum we'd salvaged off of a smoke trail from a power plant redo we did was the siding and roofing. It held up from So. IL to Oklahoma and back. His house trailer didn't do so well, they blew out all 6 tires on it at one time or another.
Then we used it for material storage on the job, we were dodging scales pulling it around with that lift on it anyhow, started hiring a semi hauler to move the lift.
Oh yeah to add we pulled it from Marion, IL to Jefferson City MO later to use on a job, that's over 4 hours there and 4 hours back.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:47 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Assuming tiffen people are snobs is as bad as assuming a homemade "camper" people are redneck, no?

Everyone assumes stuff. Let's all get over it.
2 of the nicest people I've met at my seasonal in Florida, one was in a diesel pusher and the other was in a 40 ft Pinnacle. They both begged me to come in and look around. Turned out they both had construction backgrounds also.

They were only there for a week, I felt superior since I have the spot for the entire year, LOL.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #45

I do believe that's a Forest River prototype of an entry-level trailer planned for 2019.
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #46

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
I do believe that's a Forest River prototype of an entry-level trailer planned for 2019.
Will probably require a 1-Ton Dually with Helium-3 in the tires ....

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #47
Bubblehead Elite Rank

Back in May there was a weekend drag/swap meet/car show in SC. One of the hottest types of show cars are "Rat Rods". These are old cars / trucks that are....not the best looking vehicles out there. Most are painted matte black (primer black and grey are acceptable). Some have rusted body panels (which are just sprayed over). The whole 'look' is to make them as home built looking as possible. Loud in sound and sight. It's not my thing but I can see the attraction.

Anywho...I noticed several 'home built' trailers just like this. They were built so a 'rat rod' truck could pull them. Talked to one guy who had built 3 this year and had 3 more on order. I've got his card. The ones he had (and built) looked similar to this on the outside but were fairly clean and modern on the inside. They're more like a T@B or bubble trailer inside. Bed, TV, speakers, fan, and not much else. None of the ones I saw had anything like a bathroom...porta potty in a cabinet maybe. Some had a sink with a 6 or 11 gallon jug....but not much else. Despite the outside look the inside was nice.
(link to a rat rod trailer forum http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22334 )

Again...not my thing....but if the campground is ok with it then I'm good. I honestly could care less, they're the ones having to camp in it.

Heck...rather them than some other 'real campers' i've seen. I was a Walmart that did NOT allow overnights (posted). We got in about 7:30pm. 2 of us TT's had pulled into the far corner...day manager was cool since we had all bought groceries and sundries....about 9pm this 5ver comes in and parks sideways in the middle of the lot (taking up like 10 slots). He unhitches, fires up his loud generator, then drives the Hell off. After an hour I can see the night manager is starting to jerk and twitch. I knew what was coming. 5ver shows back up after going for dinner or whatever. Manager tells him to move. 5ver points to us and I know he's saying, "What about them?". Manager makes him leave then comes over and tells us to leave too.

Thanks Mr. 5ver...you got 2 small TT's kicked out because you were inconsiderate.
JayNC is offline   Reply With Quote