Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #1

WTH...delivery issue need Advice ASAP

Hey Yall:
Yesterday TN Transport delivered my Roo to my house here in the Smoky Mountains of NC. The guy took a wrong turn and got "stuck" and had a tow truck get him out. My neighbors came and told me the rest of the story....

Turns out my brand new Roo went off the road, 4 feet off the steep enbankment where it gently rested against a tree. The tongue of the camper was burried into the mud bank. According to my neighbors when the tow truck hooked to the rear frame of the camper they saw the camper flex. They said the guy asked for help in getting his Doge Dually out of the mud and bank that when they touched the brakes, the brake controller was set so high the brakes locked up. They also told me as the tow truck was getting the camper back on the road the wheels, really the tires on the wheel were really flexing over. The AC cover/cowling on the roof popped off too.

I noticed long after the delivery guy left we did have a crack in the panel below the fridge next to the light sockets. The event did occur during a steady rain and I did have water on the right side of the front bunk and the couch was damp too.

So, when I speak with Tropical tomorrow do I, A) demand a new camper, or B) state I want all this in a report of somekind and if I find leaks and damage that it will be covered?

I am so mad I could spit nails..the driver was not forth right about what had happened. Had I known I might have refused the camper yesterday.

Clearly, FR has nothing to do with this and it is really an issue with the delivery company and perhaps Tropical RV...
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #2

I would demand a new camper. Who knows exactly how much damage was caused by it going off the road and the improper towing.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #3

Second tmmar's comments, and see if your neighbors are willing to write a statement about what they saw. And see if anyone snapped cellphone pics. And see about getting in touch with the towtruck driver.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I think part of the responsibility rest on who hired the delivery camper? If you hired them, then it would be you and them. If the dealer hired them, then it would be you and the dealer, leaving the dealer to go after the delivery company. Anyway, you may have damage you won't see for a few years. May have bent the frame, causing uneven tire wear, and you won't see this for a few miles. Leaks, cracks, may appear, and you'll never know when, or why, was it the delivery damage or other. Did any of your neighbors take pictures? I would take some of the mud in/on the frame and tongue. Any cracks, leaks, just to have for ammo if needed. Bottom line for me, I wouldn't want it. They seem to give enough trouble down the road.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #5

The dealer hired the delivery company, they use them all the time. I paid for the freight through the dealer. Unfortunately, as I asked about any pictures of any kind, nobody took them. The driver did not call the Sheriff or NC HWY patrol either. I can get the number to the tow truck company and the neighbors already said they will make a statement. I sent Tropical an email this evening and I did send pictures of the cracked interior panel yesterday too.

I am voting for a new unit myself....

This is the story of my life.......I seem to get a lot of lemmons and man do I know how to make lemmon aid real good now.... Sherdep, I may have beaten you on delivery..but in this case you are the real winner here...

My soon to be 10 year old son joked yesterday...he wondered if this camper would last as long as our previous one (he was in the accident last summer with the last one)....guess not....
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #6

My god that's terrible. So sorry to hear all that transpired. I would vote for a new unit as well. Get the driver, the tow truck driver to both explain what happenned. Everything happenned before you got the camper so I would be willing to bet you got a good chance of getting a new one. Sad that another brand new Forest River had this luck.

Sam and Tonya
Equal-I-zer
samsc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #7

I would demand a new one. The damage occured before it hit your driveway and that thing could be seriously tweaked.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #8

X's a million!!!! Demand a new camper!
Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #9

I'm sorry this happened! What a major PITA for you. I'd not settle for less than a new camper or my money back.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #10

New camper!
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #11

Nothing less than a new camper.

Good luck to you. Wish you the best.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #12

Geez that sounds terrible. You know you may want to get pictures of the ruts where it went off road and had to be towed out along with the neighbors statment and any pictures you have of damage and or dirt/mud on the underside. I only say this as now days pictures and documents are key.
I say make them replace it, you ordered new and with no worries of flaws or future problems.

Good luck,
Barney
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #13

A NEW ONE NOW OR I CALL AN ATTORNEY. Do not give a minute to think.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #14

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
IM so sorry for you !!...............demand a new camper !! Period !!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlin44 View Post
Geez that sounds terrible. You know you may want to get pictures of the ruts where it went off road and had to be towed out along with the neighbors statment and any pictures you have of damage and or dirt/mud on the underside. I only say this as now days pictures and documents are key.
I say make them replace it, you ordered new and with no worries of flaws or future problems.

Good luck,
Barney
Good idea and you might try and get a statement from the guy who pulled them out.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #16

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Sorry for your problems again..........can you get pictures of the area where it went off the road.(tore up the grass,dirt etc.). Get a statment from towing company....now!. while it still fresh in the drivers(tow-truck) mind. Protect yourself! Im sure ,they'll have to get you a new one!

**** boy Im a slow typer, you beat me to the punch !!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #17
CampeRooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post
Second tmmar's comments, and see if your neighbors are willing to write a statement about what they saw. And see if anyone snapped cellphone pics. And see about getting in touch with the towtruck driver.
Yup, get the statements right away so that there's no time to forget what happened. Signed and dated...witnessed signature also, if possible. Might call the tow company and get the driver's statement if possible.

Start snapping some photos of everything wrong with it...good details of any cracks, anything broken, rubs, whatever. Check every nook and cranny and if it looks like there's a problem, take a photo of it. If you have a digital camera, to make sure the date and time is correct before you start taking pictures...that will be your time & date stamp of when you took them and it transfers to any computer or DVD that you transfer the photos to. The sooner the better. I also agree with the person that posted to go take pictures of the site of where it happened. Especially if there's any paint transfer in the trees, ground, rocks, whatever. If the tires were dragging, there's a transfer of rubber on the ground as well. Basically, you are now assigned to your own case as a CSI...that's how I look at it anyway.

I don't know how the local police would respond, but it never hurts to file a report and get a case number of your complaint. That will reference the issue with the local authorities and that will probably go a long way.

I had to do something similar when a postal worker walked past my pickup (in the driveway) and drug their mailbag all the way down the passenger side of the truck, leaving a trail of paint scratches behind them. It's all about the details...

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #18

New camper! that one should`ve never been disconnected from the truck! the driver should`ve just turned around and headed back with it. he has insurance to cover instances like that.

don`t give in! you will be discovering problems for awhile!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #19

Smokyroo, New trailer, keep us posted.
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #20

Smokyroo, sorry to hear about your (the dealer's?) camper. I agree with the rest, I would ask for a new camper. Keep us posted.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote