Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Our dealer tried to get us to sign the final contract and then they would fix the warranty items.

Since we were paying more for the unit than we paid for our first house.... we said that we would not sign the final papers until the items were fixed. We said we'd come back the next day or whenever it was fixed. Needless to say, repair people magically appeared and ALL things were all fixed in a couple of hours... including generator not firing, stove not lighting, etc.

We were prepared to lose our deposit and they knew it. They had our credit approved and like the attorney told us when we did the same thing on a walk through for our home purchase.... they had our loan approved and it was easier for them to fix the items than go through the sales process with someone else.

I think threatening to walk away (even if it is an empty threat) is hardball enough to get the dealer to fix stuff. A reputable dealer will do their own PDI and fix obvious stuff before they schedule yours. Our dealer did and found a glaring issue with our slide out that pushed our inspection back 2 weeks. When I showed up for the PDI there was a small piece of trim that needed to be fixed inside the TT but everything seemed to have already been tended to and any init picky issue I raised was fixed on site without hesitation.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:11 PM   #22

Our dealer called us the day before we were supposed to come in for the PDI and told us not to bother coming in as they found a scratch on the counter top and had ordered a new one. They said it would take 2_weeks for the new one to arrive and then install it. A couple weeks later they called and said we were ready for the PDI. The dealer delayed their sale by a couple weeks due to their own inspection prior to our inspection.
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1236 View Post
We found this trailer at an RV event near us. I spent a good 2 hours or so walking around, looking at things while we were there. Nothing seemed out of normal at the time but obviously we didn't get a chance to check the function of stuff, just general build quality. We ended up putting a deposit down and signed a purchase agreement.

At this point I know the trailer is pretty much ours, I'm just wondering that if I find something wrong during PDI, and they can't fix it there, can I delay delivery untill it is fixed? Or do I have to take delivery and then schedule to have them warranty the problems later?

thanks.
YES, you can delay accepting the camper. They don't have your money really until you take delivery. Even though you have signed a purchase agreement you can walk away.

You DO NOT have to accept it. MAKE them fix EVERYTHING before you take delivery. Let them know if they will not do that you will find another dealer who will
Old 05-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky55616 View Post
Our dealer called us the day before we were supposed to come in for the PDI and told us not to bother coming in as they found a scratch on the counter top and had ordered a new one. They said it would take 2_weeks for the new one to arrive and then install it. A couple weeks later they called and said we were ready for the PDI. The dealer delayed their sale by a couple weeks due to their own inspection prior to our inspection.
This post is a good example of the urgency dealers have if they want their money. Once they get paid and have a signature, you loose any leverage you had. Every RV owner is getting their unit ready for the 2018 season and dealers are swamped unless the sale ( payment) on the line you are just another customer and could have a several month queue.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
This post is a good example of the urgency dealers have if they want their money. Once they get paid and have a signature, you loose any leverage you had. Every RV owner is getting their unit ready for the 2018 season and dealers are swamped unless the sale ( payment) on the line you are just another customer and could have a several month queue.
Even after you have signed you can still walk away and not lose any money. If the unit is not acceptable you do not have to take it and a simple call to your bank can kill the entire deal.

The dealer Does Not have the right to even keep any deposit you have made. Once you drive away with it your leverage is gone.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #26

Of course not all dealers are bad. Do your inspection the best you can. If anything is found wrong DO NOT take delivery until problems are fixed. Once its off the lot its your problem. Most dealers dont know your name after that. As far as the legal part Im not 100 % sure. Different states different laws.
Kwralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #27

As one that has been battling FR directly on their not fulfilling warranty issues, your ONE AND ONLY OPTION is to do a 3-4 day PDI and DO NOT ACCEPT it until EVERYTHING is correct or Fixed. After you take delivery, you have NO CLOUT without taking legal action! You need to check everything, even items you would never even consider, such as everything being installed in the first place, headlights, Drawers, Cabinets & their doors, AC, Heater, Generator, Plumbing Leaks (fill holding tanks until backs into shower to make sure no leaks), Dash, end caps, ALL Fans, Outside shower, Underside for RUST!, Windshield installed correctly with proper amount of sealing compound (if you pull back the grommet and no compound, it was not done!) And this is just a gloss over, That is why it WILL TAKE 3-4 days. Id dealer resists, run, do not walk!
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #28

I don't have much use for dealers except for initial purchase. We usually buy loooong distance. So we do a walk through and ensure major systems work before giving them the check. Any cosmetic or smaller issues we handle or use independent service to warranty the bigger stuff. Never see a dealer again. We are on our fifth RV and haven't had any problems with warranty work using independents.

We will never go to the lengths some posters advice to go to during pdi. Three days? With the current demand for RVs, if I was the dealer/salesman and I heard some of these demands I would leave you standing in the lot, ranting to yourself, while I look for a more reasonable buyer. And they will find one

Sure, be reasonably thorough when looking over your prospective purchase, but don't be 'that guy'.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdi