Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #21

If you are not in a hurry to purchase, then wait for a local RV show and take your time looking. I recommend taking pictures of the different units so you can review them at home. Take a note book with you and take notes of the pros and cons of each unit. When you find an unit you like. Sit in it for 1 hour or more. If you do not feel comfortable after an hour you will not like it. One thing to consider is the washer and dryer. Is this a necessary or a like to have. They will take up extra space that could be used for storage. We have friends that did not take the washer option and installed a small freezer in it place.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #22

One thing to consider is: can you get into the toilet when the slides are in? Many of the newer 5th wheels are set up so you can't get into the toilet with the slides in. There is nothing like pulling over on the interstate and going to the toilet when you have to go. I don't know if the same thing applies to the TT's but it is a good thing to check.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reb Kitt View Post
One thing to consider is: can you get into the toilet when the slides are in? Many of the newer 5th wheels are set up so you can't get into the toilet with the slides in. There is nothing like pulling over on the interstate and going to the toilet when you have to go. I don't know if the same thing applies to the TT's but it is a good thing to check.

X2. We wound up with a little chemical toilet in the camper because you couldn't get in the bathroom with slides in. Some rest area bathrooms are really gross. This is an important issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

X3 on getting to the toilet and fridge with slides in. After climbing over the dinette to go to the bathroom at rest stops in my old tt, we added this to our must have list. My new fiver has full easy access to toilet and fridge when all 4 slides are in.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:10 AM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

We found a Wildcat 327ck with 3 slides where the living area is 13' wide and the kitchen has a horse shoe wrap around counters. Without opening the slides you can use the bedroom, bathroom and access the frig, pantry, stove and the sink.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:51 AM   #26

I know the OP said you weren't considering a toy hauler...but consider this: DW and I wanted a TH for our Harley's, but one advantage of it that we never even thought of until we used it for the first time (even without the bikes) is that the garage space serves as your "mud room." If it's wet or muddy out, you can enter through your door in the garage area, take off your shoes, hang your rain gear up to dry, and never track all that dirt/mud into the main living area. Plus the garage can be set up for all sorts of uses, even if you don't put any "toys" in it. Storage, extra garage fridge, extra bedroom, playroom for kids/grandkids, etc. The possible uses for that extra space are endless, and go beyond just toy hauling.

I would also give a X2 on the "take your time," "do Internet research," and "make sure DW likes it" advice!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:52 AM   #27
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Love our 8329

We bought our Rockwood TT 1 year ago and have learned a ton since. Couple of things we learned:
The 5th wheelers don't necessarily have more room in them unless you get a longer 38", or 41' and then you need a bigger truck to tow that weight. From the guys I've met...you then probably need a diesel to tow 15000 lbs or so.

We bought a 35'TT and tow it with a Toyota Tundra that is rigged for towing.

We absolutely love the TT. I'm 6'4" and weigh in at well over 250lbs. I feel very comfortable and everything fits including the shower. We lived in it in Phoenix for 3 months then camped with the grandkids for another 45 days this summer and when we put it into storage...we miss it.

It is a Forest River Rockwood 8329SS and we love the floorplan. The TV entertainment unit is in one of the slides and the viewing area is positioned perfectly so you don't have to turn your head to watch TV. It came with a sound surround, external grill that attaches to the Propane system, has a hook up if you want to move the TV outside and a bunch of other add ons.
If you can't find a Rockwood, the sister brand.(and identical floor plan is named Flagstaff), I'd go check one out before you buy.

Other then that, good luck with your decision and I'm sure it will be the right one.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #28

You are doing it right, take your time. There is so much to see and if you don't have a TV yet, keep an open mind regarding fivers. When we were in your position, July 2010, we didn't buy until February 2012. We ended up with a fiver because they seem roomier and are much better to tow and hookup. No worry about sway, ever. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #29

Thank you all for the replies. I can't quote everyone but I did read each and every response and you all make valid points.

I understand the investment of an rv and a tow vehicle. We only use one car so trading that for a tv is not too much of a stretch for us.

I am going to take some time and probably go to the Pomona rv show as that will be the best thing with so many options available. I am still considering all options at this point. Although I really like the rockwood 8329ss as someone had mentioned.

Thanks again for the replies!
Coastie4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie4Ever View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to check them out.

What type of bad experience have you had?
When we were looking we went there and found a trailer we really liked. After dealing with the negotiating games they play we didn't feel comfortable with the price. My wife and I got up and left. We went back the following week to look at another floorplan we saw online. The saleswoman told us the sales manager remembered us from las time and didn't want to work on the price. So we went where we could get a better deal and that was JWRV.
Camping World's prices seem to be higher and they also have higher doc and transaction fees. I'm sure people have had good experiences there, but mine was not so good. They don't seem to feel like they need to earn your business. My impression was that they felt like we owed them our business.
Just my preference, I will give my business to JWRV over any other RV business in the Vegas area. And no, I don't work for them. LoL

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:46 PM   #31

Evo2700- JJ treated us fair and didn't make us regret our purchase.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #32
Maron

We bought ours from a Camping World in Wauconda Illinois and had a real good experience. The salesman was very knowledgable, the sales manager was very fair with the price a nd we were impressed by the staff, service area, and information during the initial preflight...or whatever you call it before you take your new vehicle.
Additionally they gave us great service and attention when we came back to get some things fixed. They even had a clinic on "how to winterize" your own unit...for free plus all the donuts you could eat.
The discounts from Good Sam were appreciated as well and...no I don't work for them. I'm happily retired and living 45 miles away from them.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Lol!!
Its a crap shoot getting some options without ever seeing them in person, because little things do make such a big difference in a camper. We rolled the dice on the superlounge on our Sabre and im so glad we did!!

I strip down and dive under the bedspread to check 'fit'. Big surprise when others come into the room during the RV show!
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #34
Maron

Okay, I'll bite...what is a superlounge?
Old 12-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #35
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maron View Post
Okay, I'll bite...what is a superlounge?
Here's a couple pics
Couch takes up the whole main slide, instead of a dinette and couch or recliners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1418226050069.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	67446   Click image for larger version

Name:	1418226078899.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	67447  
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #36
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 hole View Post
I strip down and dive under the bedspread to check 'fit'. Big surprise when others come into the room during the RV show!
Lol!!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #37

We wanted the super slide party couch too. But it didn't come as an option; We're trying to figure out how to retro fit on in our 5er.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer