Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #1

Your thoughts on a trailer...

Hello all,

Ok my wife and I headed to camper world in Las Vegas today. We had plenty of time to look at all the different models (they let us free roam) I would like your thoughts on a few we saw. Keep in mind we are still open to a certain brand, we started looking at floor plans to find one that feels good to us.

We are not sure if we want a 5ver or a tt. We do not have a tv yet so we are open to everything. What we have eliminated are bunk models as we have no use for those, and they take up space for other things. We also do not want a toy hauler. Kitchen size (and counter space) is also important. Slides must also be present.

We started with the Montana 5ver, and those are nice rigs. We like the front living and rear entertainment models. We really like the opened up living areas as opposed to a smallish living area and more bathroom for instance. We like to stay indoors mostly so this is important to us. Washer dryer hookups were also nice. We are more rv'ers than campers.

We looked at other 5ver models such as the cougar and some others. Cougar and Montana are in the running.

Next we moved on to tt. We looked at the salem, which we considered initially, but after looking today we much prefer the bullet or the cougar. We liked the look of the rear kitchen, what are your thoughts on those? The rear bath is ok too for a little more space. Again we were really attracted to the rear entertainment model as it felt much more open. We also like the outside kitchen although I'm not sure I saw a bullet or cougar with one. They were packed pretty tight together.

This was only an initial run through one dealer, we are open to just about anything. What other brands or floor plans should we consider?

Thanks for reading!

Mike
Coastie4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #2

Mike, with so many shapes, sizes and options..... research... look... and sleep on it for a while.... research... look.... and sleep on it some more. The 'right' unit will appear and you will know that that is 'the one'.... and then 'The Force' will tell you so.....

(I call my DW 'the Force' sometimes )

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Site Team

If you are not in a hurry and this is your first RV. Try to find a place where you can rent one for a weekend. The best way to see what works for you is to spend some time in it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #4

Ahhh, the shopping stage. Some say, I do anyway, that this is the most fun stage of owning an RV. Enjoy this time, take your time. Go to an RV show if you can and look at many different models. Like it was said above, you'll know when the right one is yours.

Have fun!!1
Old 12-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #5

Just remember, take everything the dealers (TV or TT) say with a grain of salt. Do your homework. Think and think again. Take pictures/get brochures and write down what you like about each. It's out there and you'll know it when you see it. But, after a while you start to forget which one has what. And a thought, you indicated washer/drier would be nice. Yes it is. We have the all in one Splendide; love it for what it is but it takes at least 2 to 3 hours to do one load of laundry. It washes then dries it, if you don't want tons of wrinkles, you take it out after wash and shake it. Wished I could have gotten the side by side. Our trailer didn't have the room. Also, we have the 8cu. Ft fridge; better than the 6. Also ducted air and heat are the best. The second AC/heat in bedroom isn't ducted and, to me, is annoyingly loud. Love our outside kitchen as well. Have fun looking and remember, "If DW ain't happy you're gonna be miserable." So if there is something you or DW really wants - go for it. May cost a bit more but it will be worth it. Oh, and set your budget up front. No sense looking at what you can't or won't buy.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #6

Go to the Pomona RV show in the spring. Most styles and manufactures will be there which will give you tons of sit in time.

We currently have a Evo bunkhouse model BUT saw a 5th pass me on the freeway that really caught my eye. Stoneridge by KZ. looked at online and putting it as the next one in the future.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Check out the sabre line. They are as nice as the Montana but cheaper. I have the sabre 34REQS. Lots of space inside, nice windows so you can see the outside without having to be out there. It has the little island and lots of kitchen room. I think you need to decide how much investment you want to make. Do you want a larger 5er? then you need to be willing to get a larger tow vehicle (ie 350/3500 diesel srw or drw). With a tt you will have a little less living space but can get away with a lighter truck depending on trailer weight (think eco boost).

Take some time, sit in these trailers with the doors closed. Imagine your usage (ie clothes in this closet, dishes in that cabinet) etc. Walk around the trailer acting out daily activities like cooking.

How will you be camping... full hook ups then tank size doesn't matter, w/e sites then pay attention to grey tank size (you will likely not have enough tanks to run w/d without full hook ups). Boondocking then all tank sizes matter. If you want mostly national parks then larger rigs are not for you as they tend to be limited to the smaller rigs. Be aware the larger the rig, the harder it can be to get nice parking spots (it's a trade off).
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Take some time, sit in these trailers with the doors closed. Imagine your usage (ie clothes in this closet, dishes in that cabinet) etc. Walk around the trailer acting out daily activities like cooking.

I can only imagine that I'm the talk of RV shows - I sit and pretend to "go" in every bathroom! Some had decent leg room, some were too cramped for my style. It's the little things.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I can only imagine that I'm the talk of RV shows - I sit and pretend to "go" in every bathroom! Some had decent leg room, some were too cramped for my style. It's the little things.

Your not alone. I'm a "hefty heifer". I would take my shoes off and stand in the shower with the door closed, doing shower contortions. I'd also sit in the dinettes and plop on the couches and beds. It truly is the little things.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #10

Spend a good amout of time like others have said if the dealer wants your business they won't mind you doing that
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #11
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Lol!!
Its a crap shoot getting some options without ever seeing them in person, because little things do make such a big difference in a camper. We rolled the dice on the superlounge on our Sabre and im so glad we did!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #12

All very sound advice, I appreciate it very much.

We intend to camp with full hookups most of the time, will probably not boondock too often, as in once or twice a year tops.

I did check the sabre line it looks like a good one to research further, thanks for the tip. Also the stoneridge looks nice as well.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #13

If you're looking in the Vegas area, go to JohnniebWalker RV. My family has bought several from them and they are very fair. I've had bad experiences with the Camping World in Vegas.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo2700 View Post
If you're looking in the Vegas area, go to JohnniebWalker RV. My family has bought several from them and they are very fair. I've had bad experiences with the Camping World in Vegas.
Thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to check them out.

What type of bad experience have you had?
Old 12-08-2014, 05:53 AM   #15
Alleged curmudgeon

Mike, go back and re-read the first three responses...

Posts #2, #3 and #4 pretty much gave you the best advice you could receive...don't rush...do take your time if at all possible...study up...and have fun. Everyone's needs, stage of life, preferences, and camping styles are different. The analysis is cheaper when you follow that advice in your selection (sort of a "measure twice, cut once" approach). Enjoy the journey!
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #16

Now I've never owned anything but motor coaches. But try all the little things. Get in and out of the bed. Even try & make the bed. Usually difficult!! (No room on sides). The above suggestions great. Set on couch an see what angle the TV is.

Last and MOST important. Pick the unit your wife wants!!!

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #17

GCWR!!!!!!!!!! not what the TV can tow

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #18

Just experience FYI that applies as others have: start with the steps going and entry grab handle! Enough steps and stability?! Inside, unless you are into pain in neck, make sure you are not looking at TV sideways!
If a fifth wheel, make sure you can get to the refer and bathroom when needed. We use ours all of the time at rest areas across America. You will make compromises. New ducted, whisper quiet, air is the way to go.
We were CLOSE to buying a Keystone High Country and switched to a Cedar Creek Silverback because of construction. Gave up my small outdoor kitchen. Ours is 36 ft long and a 2500 diesel truck, with lift assist is necessary. Consider that as you shop!
New units have electric fireplaces. They actually WORK!
Upgrade your mattress at purchase! We bought top of the line Serta home edition, full queen! Best part of whole unit!!😀

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #19
Ret. Sheriff.

fifth fiver

Good luck in your search. We are on our fifth fiver and finally found one that suits us. We have a Sandpiper by Forest River and we love most things about it. Saying that.....we have been thinking along the lines of a diesel pusher..never satisfied completely I guess.
Johnrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #20

My wife and I have been trailering since 1970, we prefer the TT over the 5th wheel or motor home. The difference between the TT & 5th wheel is storage space. Most TT's don't have much storage space outside for "stuff". Our latest model is a 2013 Rockwood 8315BSS. It has plenty of ext. storage, but the 2015 has been changed, they dropped the storage at the rear under the closet. We like a front kitchen where we can see what is going on. If you have the kitchen etc. in the rear of the coach, a lot of times you are backed into the woods and can't see what's going on.

Good luck with your search.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer