Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #21

1) 1990 and me girlfriend (now she's my DW) and I were tent camping at the state park on Put In Bay. We had a beautiful site on top of a cliff overlooking the west coast of the island. Experienced a beautiful romantic sunset followed by one of the windiest rainstorms I have ever experienced. Slept in the car that night (1985 Dodge Lancer so not much sleep was had) and packed up wet the next morning.

2) 1997 made reservations online sight unseen at a private campground in Mamoth, KY. Arrived to find the driveway into the park was the steepest gravel road I had ever seen. Carefully pulled UP to the office and checked in. Biggest dump we ever stayed at. The one and only restroom had a bees nest larger than my head that the owners refused to do anything about. Luckily we had our own facilities and full hookup. All we did was sleep at the park, all day was spent spelunking.
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #22

So Hoff,you were employed with(Geico)at one time? Do you still crawl around in the dark! Have you seen the light? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #23

Youroo,

I've always been in the dark when it comes to most things.

My DW, DD, and I all three enjoy exploring caves any chance we get. We have visited every one in the local area (some in this area aren't worth much) and this summer will be visiting a few in the Black Hills area of South Dakota on our way back from Yellowstone, can't wait!
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
If you can be this camping trip, you win !

If you can beat this camping trip you win.
Was on the outer beltway around Boston (I-495) near Haverhill Oct 1999.

I was traveling at 62 MPH, was hit by a Ford expedition in the rear end of my 26' Flagstaff. it was brand new ! Fellow was traveling at high speed weaving in and out of traffic. Had not been for the fridge, he would have come out the front of my TT.

No, I was not stopped, I hauled him for 1/4 mile before I could pull to the shoulder of the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OCT 1999.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	4878   Click image for larger version

Name:	OCT 1999 #2.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	4879   Click image for larger version

Name:	OCT 1999 #3.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	4880   Click image for larger version

Name:	OCT 1999 #4.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	4881  
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #25

That wins
Wisconsin Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin Camper View Post
That wins

Yep, that wins hands down! WOW!

Mine is nothing compaired to any of the others. Broke leg while camphosting.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Shucks, I was going to post here, but can't compare with that.

Sid, your trailer tires were probably over-loaded.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #28

that is the saddest thing i have ever seen!!!!! no one can compare with that one!
momtovn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbait8 View Post
yep, that wins hands down! Wow!

mine is nothing compaired to any of the others. Broke leg while camphosting.
game over, you win
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:36 AM   #30

Camping in KOA campgrounds has been our worst experience. Filthy bathrooms, rude hosts, unlevel and unkept campsites, kids and adults out of control at all hours. We have not stayed in any KOA's in years because of our experience with them.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:56 AM   #31

wow!! im glad you posted this , we were going to try them this year... phew!
momtovn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:43 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesm View Post
Camping in KOA campgrounds has been our worst experience. Filthy bathrooms, rude hosts, unlevel and unkept campsites, kids and adults out of control at all hours. We have not stayed in any KOA's in years because of our experience with them.
Should try them again as they seem fairly nice to us. We even have the KOA card and have so far not met any rude hosts. Most KOA's we have been to have free WIFI and fenced dog parks. Our 2 fur buddies love to run in those fenced parks off leash. The only one so far we have not been happy with is Bowling Green KY but have stayed in many states and campgrounds around the US.
00' F350 XLT LA West Custom DRW 7.3 PSD
Granted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:13 AM   #33

had an interesting trip:
i had just got off a 45 day turnaround that had its share of problems (12 hr nights 1 day off).
first night spent in a trailer park in Ia. that is a little different: you r the outsider visiting someone's neighborhood. just feels different...not a bad experience.
made first stop at Mitchel SD. when we left there, we bucked a head wind; used almost 1 tank between there and Wall (should have used 1/2 that). made a stop near a river somewhere in between. noticed the fan was running on the fantastic fan? (temp controlled fan that comes on as the cover opens) and the cover was gone. replaced cover while in Wall.
On the way from Wall to Cheyenne, i thought i saw something come off the bottom of the trailer but could find nothing and nothing missing. as i entered chyanne, the awining came unrolled. rerolled then went on past to Greeley, Co.
When we left Greeley in route to NM, had someone come along side pointing, pulled over and had discovered that the only thing left of my left front trailer tire was the rim and a bead. (we were well South of Denver...must have been flat even while driving thru Denver...was not flat at Greeley).
Jacked up the trailer and was unable to get the lug nuts off. wrench was a little too big or a little too small. (i have sense replaced those nice decorative lug nuts with solid ones).
Made my way thru a neighborhood and found a tire store on the other side. replaced that tire and a questionable one.
continued on to NM, happened to see some tread pass from behind the trailer. tire was not flat (as view from mirror) so kept an eye on it and continued. wasn't sure if the tread was something we ran over or not. when i stopped for the night, found that the left rear tire was riding on the steel belt. Fought the lug nuts on that wheel as well. then shuttled abt 20 miles to get a tire and tools.
we enjoyed the rest of the loop back to Louisiana; was out 30 days. Repair cost once home a little over $5000.
right after buying the trailer, i purchased a jack and tool. even went thru a run of jacking and removing one lug nut without problem. wasn't the same on the road.
oh, left out that the washer/dryer quit at first campground just inside TX on I-40. that turned out to be a connector inside the w/d cabinet that looked good but had arced and formed an insulating layer between the connectors.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #34

My worst trip in 10 plus years of 5th wheeling was this last one from Colorado to Padre Island, Texas. In a new (under warrenty) 2011 Flagstaff, lost the bedroom escape window sometime before the first gas stop (about 160 miles) Which also ruined the blind and curtain. Forest River say we must have left the window open, But since we have had the trailer the window has never been opened.
When stopping the first night, the steps (directly behind wheels) were mashed in enough so couldn't get them down without using the lug wrench out of the truck to do some bending to them.
When watering up after getting to Padre, Couldn't get the water pump to build up pressure. Found a big puddle of water comming from the outside shower. The cold water valve had come completely apart during travel. Reassembled, and afterwards water pump cycled about once every couple of hours. The next day it was once every couple minutes. Made it home without any more problems, except Forest River denying everything.
Also, everything gets bounced to hell, even on a short few miles from storage to home. Everything off the walls and alot of the drawers out. Table always tipped over. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:46 PM   #35

jimh, glad you mentioned your problems with the lug nuts and wrench size. Was washing my trailer today, and had one greasy hub cap. Took cover off and found the grease cap was off. Decided better check my wheel nuts. First off, the trailer has some fancy looking aluminum wheels and the lug nuts are in counterbored holes. Found a 4 nut lug wrench, but outside was too large to fit in counterbore. Ground down to fit, and checked all the lug nuts. Some weren't all that tight and some needed a breaker bar to get loose. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #36
(Kim)

Worst experience camping (without a TT), was not planning ahead and having to 'tent it' with only the tent; no blanket, no pillow, no NOTHING.......
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote