Old 03-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
your worst experience in camping

We had a terrible rainy weekend. So bad that late at night we were totally surrounded by water. Could not sleep and left the trailer on the site for the night. On our way out of the campground the road was washed by the heavy rain and we were barely able to pass.We returned in the morning to pick up the trailer. On the same road the bulldozers were repairing the collapsed road. We did not get a single drop of water inside our new minilite 1809s. A good test for our first try on this new trailer.

capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
The first thing that comes to mine that stands out the most is that in 2006 when we were headed to Hershey PA with our new Rock Wood 8314ss was when i was towing on the interstate I-76 and started loosing control of my tow vehicle and camper when i hit 51 mph, i was swaying from side to side taking up both lanes, it was a good thing no one was around me.

I finally got it under control and could only travel at a top speed of 45 mph, once i arrived at the campground and park the camper into my site about 1/2 hour went by and the next thing i knew my left rear tire was flate, to make a long story short the bead to the tire was damaged due to the constant swaying.

The reason for this out of control swaying was because the service department at the dealer installed my hitch system incorrectly, i could have lost everything that was important to me.

So this is the worst thing that has happen and nothing else has top it yet......Be safey.

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
The last day that I was at work would be my worst day camping!!!
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
I'm with Rockwood06. Our worst time was coming across a very long , high bridge in Jack. FL. A big truck was passing us, the wind was blowing really hard and our camper started swaying. My DH had the good sense to use that brake thing under the dash. Didn't last long, but had to pull over to make sure there was not a flat tire or anything else wrong and to get our nerve back. I sure hold my breath going over bridges now. UGH.
choice spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Another bad experience was a really bad storm many years ago. Tent camping. Storm was so bad we got our pillows and got in the truck. Next morning we had boats on the shore, pots and pans up the roads, broken limbs everywhere and PFDs floating in the lake. Looking back that actually brings a laugh to us now.
choice spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
To add a little brevity to this...

My worst experience in having to pack up and go back to work!
John & Nicole
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0L 4x4
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
Site Team
It would be the time I listened to my sister about how warm Sequoia National Park would be at night in August. I took my air mattress, sheets, and a small blanket. Even being in the MH I almost frozed to death over night!! I was ready to come home at 3:00am even through I drove some 8 hours to get there.

The next morning my brother came to the rescue.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
My worst experience was when I damaged my truck trying to back into a site that was way too small for the trailer.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
We were on the Maitland river when a tornado touched down a few miles away,a foot of water in no time and then spent the rest of the night watching the river rise ubtil i had to pull out at around 1am,still it beats work.
MPI_Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:30 AM   #10
AKA Bluebird
Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
#1 Blowing a TT tire in one of the tunnels of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.
#2 Having my awning turn into a parasail on a high-rise bridge while coming into Annapolis after crossing the Chesapeake Bay.
#3 Carefully instructing my mother to let the toilet flush lever snap back into place and having her gently, for fear of making noise and waking myself and the DW, return it to an almost closed position in the middle of the night. I almost fainted when I stepped out of bed in the morning.

Happy Camping! ///// Richard D.
2006 4x4 Ford 250 SD / 2007 Flagstaff 827 FLS
One very patient wife and one furry child who travels with us. Forty-two years of trailering and camping, and I still have a blast.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote