Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #1

Zip lock vacuum bags

We packed up the trailer for the winter yesterday. DW got some of those Zip Lock vacuum bags for pillows, blankets etc. Wow, they really work. Great space savers.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Always Learning

Great space savers, just be careful that you don't nick them with anything- they rip very easily.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #3

We did that last year and every single one leak over the winter and the ones we put in draws caused all kinds of problems getting the draw open. This year we stored them in the open so if they leak they won't cause any problems.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
Campfire Master

We gave up on them. Never had one that didn't leak after a while. We use them now to store blankets at home under the bed to keep them clean.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVid View Post
We gave up on them. Never had one that didn't leak after a while. We use them now to store blankets at home under the bed to keep them clean.

John
X2

I heard that they've improved the valves so they don't leak like they used to...but I haven't bought new ones to verify. All of the ones I've had in the past leak and don't stay compressed.
ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #6

We always put our RV towels, sheets, blankets, quilts and our "camper clothes" in them at the end of the season. Bring the stuff in, wash, dry, fold and let them sit for a day to make sure they are truly dry, then put them in the bags. We do not put the bags in drawers, but put them in the closet. We have done this for several years and they do usually leak, but we just want them to remain clean, dry and not attract varmints.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #7

They are the bain of my existence �� I too have never had them work for me. It all looks good to start but when it comes downt to it they leak..... The best or worst time was when using them to over pack for a missions trip and after they failed trying to,get everything to fit in again. They must work for someone though or they would have stopped making them. Bikers use compression bags but I do not know how large they come (if they would fit bedding etc.... )
Wolfeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #8
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Great idea! we have some... never thought about using in the trailer. Great space saver not to mention, keep blankets and sheets smelling better.

We use our trailer over the winter. Not that bad to winter camp in North Georgia, Alabama.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #9
Toadman

We have used them for the past two years for blankets, pillows, sheets and clothing without incidence. We put them into storage containers after removing the air and sealing them up. Knock on wood, we have had no problems and have re-used bags from last year. I think the key might be in making sure that the seal is tight when you finish removing the air from the bag via vacuum cleaner. We had to re-seal a couple because the seal wasn't seated properly.
Toadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:10 PM   #10

I don't use the zip lock vacuum bags, just the regular xxl zip lock bags. Push out as much air as I can before sealing. They also have a loop handle for hanging if wanted.
I just leave everything in bags on the bed until next season.
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #11
Another adventure awaits!

Love using them ... Costco had a great pkg with various sizes for good price. ...
HESN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:28 AM   #12

ooh, did not know that! Will look at my Costco for them! Thanks!
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #13

We use them at home, and never had one leak. I suspect that maybe the cold temps in the trailer causes the plastic to become brittle, and then it cracks or tears from the pressure of being vacuum sealed. But that is just a guess on my part

Old 10-22-2015, 12:26 AM   #14

Just bought the Costco (Canada) box again this week. I've used these in my class B, motorcycle for touring and my sailboat, all of which have limited storage space. Works great for me, and I've had stuff in my boat not opened for at least 2 yrs.
Also use double lock strip or zippered Ziplocs for a few items, including some food items and just suck out the air as best I can. Helps some foods stay fresher longer, (cheese comes to mind here).
PS just looked the Costco box I got has 15 bags, 4 med, 5 large, 12 XL and 4 "travel valise" size. Dont' recall the price but it's cheap for my needs/uses vs the benefits and quick to use as well.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:46 PM   #15
Another adventure awaits!

19.97 at Costco for the box you described above ... Great value ... One XL bag is about $12 alone at local hardware store. Try using a straw to get the air out of smaller ziplock bags ...
HESN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #16

Straw idea sounds good for the regular ziplocs, never thought of that and will give it a try.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #17

And yes I was aware the Costco box was a great deal, as I've on occasion had to replace a single bag at the higher individual cost. Maybe should have bought a 2nd box (I'm now thinking to myself, LOL)