Old 08-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #111

Just a quick somewhat related idea. You can always hook jumper cables to the coach battery in the trailer to run the system and expidite charging. 6 ft of 2 guage cable beats 24 ft of 16 guage plus the pumps will work immediately.

2004 Explorer 4.6 awd (16 year old daughters car)
2009 Mazda 6 (wife's ride)
Bunkfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkfamily View Post
You can always hook jumper cables to the coach battery in the trailer to run the system and expidite charging.
True, but I do not regularly carry them in my one-year-old diesel. If I need a jump to start a dual-battery, dual-generator truck, I have other issues to resolve. My jumper cables are very heavy 4 gauge similar to these.

I resolved the core issue by replacing the battery. Though the Interstate deep cycle battery was less than a year old, I have no idea what was done to it before I bought the trailer. It obviously was not treated well or it would not have failed so quickly.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #113

It has been a while, but the trailer is now parked out behind the garage of a new house. That purchase and subsequent work has kept me busy. Courtesy of the prior property owner, the trailer is now plugged in all the time. It has become a favorite weekend "camping" spot for the family. Now that the trailer is readily at hand, I can get back to doing more customization.

Home Port Orlando
Old 01-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narboza View Post
It has been a while, but the trailer is now parked out behind the garage of a new house. That purchase and subsequent work has kept me busy. Courtesy of the prior property owner, the trailer is now plugged in all the time. It has become a favorite weekend "camping" spot for the family. Now that the trailer is readily at hand, I can get back to doing more customization.
Good for you, your going to like it so much more. Next will be an intercom so people can call you in for dinner....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Next will be an intercom so people can call you in for dinner.
Actually, a wireless intercom is in the plans, though I had not thought of putting one at the trailer. Hmmm....

Home Port Orlando
Old 02-01-2015, 04:30 PM   #116

Anniversary

We will soon pass the one year point for ownership of our trailer. The love of using it is still strong. It is to the point that the kids want to sleep in it every weekend now that we have moved it to our new house.

Of the 4600 miles on the unit, we added 3300, mostly during last year's Epic Summer Vacation.

We had it all of four days before I crunched it into a post. I never did that again. The lawnmower scrape at the storage lot was NOT my fault. Now that wood breakage by the slides -- yea, that was my fault.

We used it for 35 nights, which is a respectable amount for the first year. That time was across 11 campgrounds and the back yard. There was one night on the road it spent alone in a Dover AFB parking lot when there was no room at the Family Camp.

The trailer was an excellent purchase for the family. We are looking forward to where 2015 takes us.

Home Port Orlando
Old 02-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #117
Swift2

Congrats your 3715. Many good times ahead I'm sure.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #118

Well, it has been a while. There has not been much trailer use except for a trip to Ft. Wilderness last year. We have another one coming up, so I have been looking at my work list. During a walkthrough, I found the shower floor stained. I found what I suspected when I went on the roof -- a cracked shower skylight. I cannot say if it was due to the heat or due to getting hit by a branch. in any case, I did a quick shipping tape repair to beat one of our usual thunderstorms. I went back up today and put a piece of Eternabond tape over the crack and some weak areas on the edges.

I ordered a replacement from Amazon. While they promised two-day shipping, that ended up becoming 4-6 weeks. Looks like it has to be manufactured first. I'll post any interesting info I learn about the replacement. It should be relatively straightforward, if a little messy.

Home Port Orlando
Old 06-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #119

Skylight Replacement

Every major trailer project seems to attract extra adventure. So here I was replacing a skylight. How hard could it be? Well, it helps to understand the terminology first before you go buying things.

To recap, our shower skylight cracked, probably from a falling branch. I checked and measured I thought I was getting the proper size replacement. It turned out the one I ordered was two inches shorter than the one I was replacing. In the end, I made it work, but therein was the adventure.

Skylights are ordered by the size of the bubble area. Each is assumed to have 1.5-2 inches of flange around the bubble. Replacements come with pre-drilled holes, which is a very good thing. The bubble is supposed to correspond to the opening in the roof of the trailer. I now know to measure from underneath to get the hole size correct. For the record, my bubble/hole size was 36x25. The original flange dimensions were 40x25.5.

My replacement skylight was shipped with one caulk tube of white Surebond SB-140 skylight and window butyl sealant. The instructions said to seal the underside of the flange with butyl tape. The tape is readily available at Amazon, Lowes, or Home Depot. I set the skylight upside-down on my bed to apply the tape. Besides the skylight, I carried a few things up onto the roof with me.

Battery screw gun with a Phillips bit
Caulk gun with the butyl sealant loaded
Rubber gloves
Rags
Plastic grocery bag
Putty knife
Extra screws
This video
shows a replacement on a fiberglass roof. Mine did not go this way while removing the sealant. I used the putty knife to start scraping off the old Dicor lap sealant from the top of the skylight. I used my fingers to peel the Dicor off the rubber roof. All the old Dicor went into the grocery bag.

With all the Dicor gone, I removed all 41 of the skylight screws. I reused the screws in the new skylight, adding two more to complete the install since the new skylight had more holes than the old one.

I used my fingers to separate the old skylight from the rubber roof. The manufacturer used a white sealant underneath, but it had hardened over the 2.5 years since it was built. Most of it came off with the skylight. I manually removed the rest and cleaned up the roof seating surface. The rubber roof material was wavy where the old skylight had been seated. There was nothing I could do about that.

With the butyl tape already on the skylight, I just dropped the new skylight in position. Putting in those 43 screws was tedious. I started at the front inboard corner and worked my way down the sides. The butyl tape sealed all the old holes and did a reasonable job of sealing around the screws. It even squeezed out around the edges a bit.

Now for the Surebond sealant. This stuff is thicker than silicone caulk. It is also stringy. You have to plan your caulk gun movement to allow for that or you may get sealant all over your new skylight where you do not want it. I ran a bead all around the skylight then went back over all the screws. I could have done the job with 75-80% of the tube, but I used it all. I smoothed the caulk with a gloved finger. The rags got used controlling the Surebond.

After drying, the caulk volume was visibly less, but it still looked like it would seal well. The work took about 90 minutes, was not difficult, and can be done by any competent DIY-type. The video was a big help by providing a good how-to before going onto the roof.

It looked like the old skylight had not had predrilled holes based on the uneven pattern. The screws had been overdriven and there were eight or so cracks already present that explained why there was so much Dicor on the flange. My recent crack did not come from a screw and did not reach the flange which is why I suspect it was from an impact.

Home Port Orlando
Old 06-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #120

Skylight Liner

A correction to the previous post. The bubble/hole size was 36x21. The original skylight flange dimensions were 40x25.5.

I used 1" butyl tape. It was the widest easily available and worked well.

To drop the inner liner from the skylight, use a screw gun to remove all the flange screws except for two, one on either side. If you feel unsure, put blue painter's tape over the shower drain to prevent losing a screw down the drain. Hold the liner near a screw and remove one of the two remaining screws. Then remove the last one and lower the liner. When replacing the liner, only partially drive the screws with a screw gun to prevent breaking the liner flange. Finish with a screwdriver.

The liner's clear plastic is held in place with double-stick tape and is easy to dislodge. You can see a liner removal and tape replacement here.

Home Port Orlando

Tags
blue ridge, 2014