Old 05-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #41
BlueRidge 3025RL

Thanks for your updates, Have ordered the fob for the 12v power converter off eBay, also same issue with shower door. Still don't have the patio light working yet, relays work though.

Sent from my ME173X using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 05-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #42

Narboza, looking at your pictures makes me miss my Blue Ridge 3705BH terribly. Now that my employment is a little more stable, I sure wish I had hung on to it.

I'll say one thing, if you ever sell that thing, it will be worth the top end of your asking price the way you take care of it! I've really enjoyed reading your posts about the mods and fixes you are doing. I congratulate you for fixing things yourself and enjoying the camper. I would have had a much better first year with mine if I had taken your approach to it.

2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.jackson View Post
Still don't have the patio light working yet, relays work though.
My Alta remote system has a 5 amp fuse for the Main Door Patio Light on the receiver itself. On my unit, it controls the yellow light by the main entrance. That is the only switch on the "convenience center" control panel which is momentary off and momentary on.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
I'll say one thing, if you ever sell that thing, it will be worth the top end of your asking price the way you take care of it! I've really enjoyed reading your posts about the mods and fixes you are doing. I congratulate you for fixing things yourself and enjoying the camper. I would have had a much better first year with mine if I had taken your approach to it.
Thanks. It has been interesting. On the whole, this unit is well-built. Of course, it was destined for Florida's biggest RV show so I hope they paid extra attention to it. Honestly, I counted on that since we put the deposit down on it at the show. I do my own projects at home and this is just a house on wheels. There is more stuff to come.

We have owned it less than three months and are on our third trip now -- two days camping at a convenient KOA so the kids could spend a full day at the LEGOLAND Florida water park.

We were specifically looking for a bunkroom. While at the show, I watched at least three couples peer into the rear entrance and say dismissively "Oh, it's a bunkroom," and move on. What was wrong for them is perfect for use. We love it. It just felt right.

Home Port Orlando
Old 05-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #45

I cannot seem to make it through a camping trip without a mechanical adventure.

We had a great time at LEGOLAND yesterday. The trip home was uneventful, although I had to drive through a horde of love bugs. I parked on our street in front of the house. This made the right of the trailer side low from the slope of the street since the trailer was still hitched to the truck and I had not leveled it.

While cleaning the trailer prior to storage, the DW wanted me to check the rear shower track caulk since I did not replace it. I poured a gallon of water into the track and watched it flow through the drain holes into the shower pan with no leakage from under the track like before. With that demonstrate, I moved on with the cleaning only to hear a call from the DW about a bathroom leak.

Sure enough, there was water puddled on the fake wood Congoleum. It had come from under the shower pan and not down its side. That told me there is a leak from the shower drain itself.

I went down to the basement and sure enough, there was water in a fortunately placed plastic bin top. While looking at the pipes in the overhead, I pulled away the wet tape around the gray tank vent and found it was duct tape which had been spray painted black to match the surrounding area. Here is a picture of the interesting tape seal. This is the point where the vent starts up to the roof.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gray Vent and TV Cables.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	52188
The shower P-trap was also wet but very accessible since I had already removed the rear walls of the basement. Here is a picture of the gray tank vent coming up out of the tank and then proceeding forward until it goes up the wall between the bathroom and the bedroom. I will talk about all those TV cables in a later post. The shower P-trap is visible behind the vent.

Name:	Gray Vent and Shower Drain.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	52187
I ran out of time to fix this leak since we had an important Mother's Day dinner to go to and I had to wash off the love bugs from the truck and trailer. I just managed to get the trailer into the storage lot before the place closed.

Home Port Orlando
Old 05-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #46

Hydraulic Misbehavior

While in the storage lot dropping off the trailer, I had a strange hydraulic event occur that I have read about others having and now I got to experience first-hand.

I have been using the Level-Up system regularly without problems. The system worked fine while unhitching Friday. It worked fine hitching today while hitching, but I may have had the slides open while we stowed the trailer for travel. When I got home, I did not level, but extended and retracted the slides normally.

Once at the storage lot, the system misbehaved. When I hit the AUTO LEVEL button, the pump sounded different and I saw no landing gear movement. Instead the bedroom slide above my head started to open. I shut the system off, reset the Leveling Control unit, and tried again with the same result. This suggested a hydraulic problem.

I did not have my manual override tools with me (bad!) so I could not check my theory. Instead, I just pressed AUTO LEVEL again and watched the system go through its normal auto level sequence (slowly) while the slides extended (slowly). Once leveled, I retracted the slides and left my hydraulic mystery for another day.

Home Port Orlando
Old 05-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #47

Weekly Fixit

It seems like every Sunday afternoon I am heading to the trailer to fix things. This week, it was simple stuff.

First, I added three wall-mounted tissue box holders to the bathrooms and the galley.

During our last trip a week ago, the glass shower door handles came off. The OEM had epoxied in a sheet rubber into the clamping channel. The epoxy used was poorly installed and as a result, the rubber sheet friction fit did not hold as intended. The FR installers had to put the handles on, but the OEM system failed quickly. The arrangement was not intended to fall off and be put back on, so the rubber sheet crumpled. Here is the handle after it had fallen off with the crumpled rubber.

Name:	IMG_0428.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	52733
I used a 1/4" wood chisel to scrape off the rubber and old epoxy. I then used lots of clear caulk in the handle, set it into position on the frame, then slid the door glass into the handle with all that caulk ready to grip it. It seemed to have worked when I left. I will clean off the caulk that oozed out when I go back later this week.

My front black valve is leaking much like the rear one did. This time, I put a twist-on waste valve on to keep the bad stuff in when I connect next time. I think I'll take my time fixing this dump valve.

Based on some comments elsewhere on FRF, I bought this aluminum telescoping extension ladder. I used it today to peek at my upper refrigerator vent and get some pictures. It held my stately girth easily. Recommended.

I took lots of pictures while I was there and measured different things. It turns out the thin wall boards have a 1-1/2" gap between then. That is enough space for wiring and vent/drain piping. These wall switches are easy to pull an measure through.

Name:	IMG_0525.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	52734

I pulled the inside skylight cover to clean off the construction dust. That is the roof material fastened down inside the wooden frame.

Name:	IMG_0537.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	52735

I am thinking about doing the dual refrigerator fan mod once I figure out how to remove the wood baffle I think the current fan is hiding behind.

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	52736

Home Port Orlando
Old 05-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #48

Level-Up

I have been slowly figuring out how the Lippert Level-Up system works. In my case, it is tied into the Alta remote system which adds complexity. The basic system wiring diagram looks like this.

Name:	Lippert Level Up Diagram.jpg
Views:	1196
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	52737
The diagram is poorly drawn, but the system follows standard principles. The low-amperage electronics controls the high amperage motor via relays. This is done in this system via a honkin' big relay called a Trombetta. It is the black thing on the left with the 0-gauge wires in this picture.

Name:	Trombetta and Diode Bridges 2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	52739
In my installation, there are two other components that are not shown in the standard wiring diagram. They are visible in the previous picture as the 1" square boxes screwed to the inner wall of the hydraulics space.

Name:	Bridge Rectifier.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	52738
The CM2501 part number tells me these are bridge rectifiers. The left one is wired into the retract circuit, while the right one is wired into the extend circuit. They are not used as rectifiers, but as isolators. These bridge rectifiers are how the Alta and Level-Up systems control the pump separately without interference. The convenience center switch is wired into the Alta system to control the slides. The convenience center switches for the awning and front door yellow light also go through the Alta.

I am not impressed with the hydraulic and electrical build quality in this system. The electrical components should be in the utility space. The hydraulic hose rats nest is due to the additional hoses added in this BR trailer to let me individually control which slide moves. When I got the trailer, this space was soaked with ATF from an earlier leak. I am slowly cleaning it up.

Name:	Hydraulic Compartment.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	52741
In the Level-Up system, orange hoses extend while the black hoses retract. There are many fewer black hoses because they function as a common header while the extend lines act as individual feeds to act as a stop mechanism when you do not want something to move. In my current case, the slides move when I try to level. That tells me that the Hydac solenoid valve is permitting flow when it should not be. Here is what a Hydac valve looks like. This one controls the landing gear and is mounted on the right side front jack. The silver cylinder is the operating coil. It is held onto the valve cartridge by the black nut on the left. The only portion of the valve cartridge you can see is the manual override sticking out of the left side of the black knurled nut.

Name:	Right Landing Gear and Hydac 2.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	52743
Eventually, I will post more about the system. Lippert is not very good at putting the information in one place.

Home Port Orlando
Old 05-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #49
BlueRidge 3025RL

Did skylight cover pull off easy? Also have construction dust want to clean up.

Sent from my ME173X using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.jackson View Post
Did skylight cover pull off easy? Also have construction dust want to clean up.
It just fell off. I removed the screws at both ends, then the ones over the shower door so the liner fell onto the door frame, then the ones along the wall. There was lots of dirt on both the insert and the skylight itself.

Home Port Orlando

Tags
blue ridge, 2014