Old 07-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #81

Interior Door Frame Damage

We have had multiple interior door hinges tear free from the pressed wood cabinet face frames. FR calls these frames "Lumbercore vinyl wrapped cabinet frames" and they look OK, but have no real endurance. Hardwood face frame stiles would be much better.

The following damage was while going from Orlando to Pittsburgh. In all cases, I repaired the damage by the same method. First I used a hammer to tap the puckered frame fibers flat with the rest of the stile. I then cut one or two toothpicks to the depth of each hole. Finally I superglued them in place, making sure I soaked all the torn wood fibers of the frame. When the superglue was dry, I screwed the hinge back on normally. This worked because the toothpick provided the bulk to fill the larger hole made by the torn out screw and gave the screw something firm to bite on. The superglue also held the torn cabinet frame fibers together.

The half bath sink cabinet door just fell off during travel. All four screws in the two hinges tore free. We think the door came open and then the bouncing did the rest. I know it was shut prior to travel.

A cabinet door above the main room couch had the upper hinge tear free. It was never left open, so it happened during normal use.

A Galley upper cabinet door was hit by the slide since it was not closed completely. The door knob was bent, the lower hinge torn off and the front face of the cabinet stile scraped. I used pliers to bend the hinge metal straight. I fixed the frame holes as described above. The scraped stile got covered by Gorilla Tape to hide the damage during travel. The bent knob was easy to remove and got replaced with a knob from the outdoor kitchen cabinet. The knob itself was undamaged, but the machine screw holding it was what was bent. A new machine screw fixed that.

The bedroom French closet doors are a major irritation. FR used standard home sliding door hardware to hang the doors and screwed the upper rail into an overhead backer board. The screws supporting the track have been working free and the overhead backer board is also loose. The doors are heavy. The bouncing at the front of the trailer has taken a toll. The first major problem was when the left side wall latch tore free. Then I found the backer problem. Now I see the lower track guide is not working well at restraining the lower edge of the doors. It is time to rethink how it is installed.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #82

Tracing AC Loads

Doing this is easy and just takes a little time. I had the trailer in front of my house and connected to a garage outlet via a heavy extension cord. With all AC breakers open, I connected a noisy tool to the outlet I wanted to identify. I then flipped breakers until I heard the tool start. I then moved through every receptacle and identified its source breaker. I found some interesting design points in these newer Blue Ridge trailers.

The galley area has three receptacles. Nicely, these are all off of different GFCI circuits so busy cooking should not trip them: the GFCI in the bathroom powers the receptacle at the end of the sink cabinet, the two under the cabinets are themselves GFCI outlets on different circuits. Overall, it is a well thought out arrangement.

There are four receptacle circuits. Well, actually three with the single GFCI receptacle under the microware cabinet being powered from the refrigerator circuit. Technically it is a circuit albeit small.

Each major load (refrigerator, converter, central vacuum, washer, dryer, microwave) has its own receptacle to make connections and upgrades easy.

Nearby receptacles are off of different circuits. For example, the outlet at the front of the table is off the "SO" slide out receptacle circuit, while the outlet at the rear of the table is off the general "Rec" receptacle circuit. The same is true for the receptacles on either side of the king size bed.

Here is the load table I created. The colored circuits (GFI, Kit, Rec, and SO) each have a separate breaker. All the other circuits power a single load, except for the Refer breaker, which powers the refrigerator receptacle and a single Galley GFI receptacle under the microwave cabinet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 120 VAC Loads.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	59014

Home Port Orlando
Old 07-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #83
BlueRidge 3025RL

And you work fulltime? How do you get all this done and give us great information, :-)
Old 07-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #84

Nice chart, much better layout then the Rockwood. How many breakers do you have in that Blue Ridge? I have 6 outlets off of 1 15amp breaker alone in the unit. Good job
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #85

I keep my trailer info in OneNote. One of the tabs is for draft posts. When I have a topic I want to write about, I start something there. When I have all the info, I turn it into something cohesive in a few minutes and then paste it into the forum software. I have a couple of hundred pictures of the trailer that I have taken since the trailer is often parked in storage. Most only mean something to me and would be useless to post. I intersperse these pictures to make the posts more understandable.

The table comes from Excel. Enter your data. Copy the range you want. Go to a document in Word. Click the Paste button in the ribbon, click Paste Special, select Bitmap from the list, and click OK. Once it is in the document right click the picture, click Save as Picture..., select the format type, type your filename, select the destination folder, click Save.

There are 14 circuits -- six double breakers and two single breakers -- in the eight slots.

Home Port Orlando
Old 07-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #86

Towels

If you need new towels for your trailer, consider the Ikea FRÄJEN line. These have proven to be very absorbent and quick to dry. They are available in-store only. An unadvertised feature of the ones we bought is a cloth loop sewn into one long edge of each towel allowing them to hang securely even during travel. Recommended.

Home Port Orlando
Old 07-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #87

120 Volt AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I have 6 outlets off of 1 15amp breaker alone in the unit.
My brother's Sandpiper had every receptacle in the trailer off of a single 15 amp breaker when he got it. He rewired it for 50 amp service and split the receptacles into two circuits to relieve the cooking load. I am very happy with the 120 volt electrical design in our unit.

Home Port Orlando
Old 07-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #88

Back to your spare tire dilemma. As I was packing our camperClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1406501180.903268.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	686.4 KB
ID:	59098 this morning to come home I noticed that the valve stem is facing out. Mine is a '13. Funny how they make little changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #89

Summer Camping Trip

We are back after 20 days on the road for the 2014 Epic Family Vacation. 3000 driving miles. 2500 towing miles. 19 camping nights. 1 hotel night due to a non-availability. 8 campgrounds. Lots of family. Jets, lots of jets. Good times. No major trailer mechanical problems, though several small ones like the hinges. The truck ran flawlessly, though it gulped down the DEF. More posts to follow.

Home Port Orlando
Old 08-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #90

Slide Topper Damage

This was unexpected. While we were camping in Delaware last month, a line of strong storms moved through. This was the line of storms on 23 July that spawned the F-1 tornado that killed the two tent campers and injured so many at the Cherrystone Family Camping & RV Resort. For us it was a wind and rain event that we slept through with no obvious problems. However when I was rigging for tow, I noticed the bedroom slide topper was wrinkled when closed.

Name:	Topper Bed Damaged 1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	59614

Name:	Topper Bed Damaged 2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	59615

When we got to the NAS Patuxent River campground, I looked closer and found that the ends of the topper fabric were still properly attached where the screws secured it, but the middle had been pulled out of the channel mounted on the side of the trailer.

Name:	Topper Bed Damaged 3.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	59616

Name:	Topper Bed Damaged 6.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	59618

Nothing appeared to be broken or torn. I assume the wind caused enough flapping of the fabric to work it loose from the channel. When closed, the only indication was the wrinkled fabric. When open, the loose fabric sagged. No water got into the bedroom. The toppers really did their job to keep the debris off the slides when we were in those pine forests.

I have a fix planned, but first I need to get a small scaffold and some cotter pins.

Home Port Orlando

Tags
blue ridge, 2014