Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #1

Blue Ridge Slide Issue

We purchased a new 2011 Blue Ridge 3025 fifth wheel in February. Last month we pulled the unit to Myrtle Beach and somewhere in the mountains of North Carolina I looked out the rear view mirror and noticed a slide issue. Apparently when I make right turns the top of the slide pushes out anywhere from a couple of inches to over a foot on sharp curves. I took the unit to a local dealer and their fix was unbelievable. According to them, Forest River approved them to order tension rods to be placed between the slide and the wall when the slides are in and we are traveling.

Did I miss something here? I must have passed 100 RV's on the road and not one of their slides came out at the top when going around curves. The dealer said all the older units used to have these rods. My first one was a 1998 and it didn't have rods. This is warranty work as well. Has anyone heard of this before? Shouldn't a brand new unit's slides be able to take a curve without going out a foot or so at the top? Not sure which direction to go, sounds like I need a personal audience with FR.
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #2

Our new 5th, with a slide, came with a warning to make sure the slide lock was installed before travelling. Our previous 3, 5th wheels all were the same. We always installed the locks. When we took delivery of our present 5th I asked the dealer service head about the lock bar. He said to toss it. Well, just in case I have it stowed in my baggage compartment. I don't use it, but the first sign the slide is moving, in it goes. The bigger slides come with 2 lock bars.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Don't know about your unit, but are the slides electric/mechanical, or strictly hydraulic? If they are hydraulic, sounds like you have air in the system, or a leaking valve. If hydraulic, may need 4 or 5 cycles to get all the air out, with 10 minutes or do between extend and retract. If they are mechanical, could be something loose, and letting the slide mechanism shift. Either way, it isn't supposed to move.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #4

Was wondering whether to toss the bar or not. Sounds like I'll keep it, and keep on using it. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #5

I have the same 5'er and my dealer didn't even provide me with slide lock bars. "You don't need 'em with a hydraulic over gear system" is what I was told at my PDI.

I agree with the air/leak in the system. A hydraulic/gear system should be "locked" in whatever position you put it in.

I suggest asking your dealer to bleed and leak test your system before they seemingly put a Band-Aid on it by way of a slide lock bar.

If you need technical/warranty help from Forest River, contact Terry Milarczyk by phone or tmilarczyk@forestriverinc.com
45 ACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #6

Wow, thanks for all of your advice. My 5er does have the hydraulic slides and it sounds like air in the lines may be worth checking out. I will also contact Mr. Milarczyk for help. We really like the unit and for the price we shouldn't have to put band aid fixes on the slide. I will keep you posted. Once again, thanks to all for your help and advice.
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:12 AM   #7

Hydraulic will not move unless air in lines or a valve is leaking.Take it to your dealer and get it fixed. Locking bars are bs
JR Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #8

I would favor a leaking Hydac valve. That would be an awful lot of air to move a slide significantly.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Smith View Post
Hydraulic will not move unless air in lines or a valve is leaking.Take it to your dealer and get it fixed. Locking bars are bs
A leak Anywhere in the system will allow cylinder movement! Also piston seals inside of a cylinder leaking will allow movement "Without Oil Showing" on the exterior! Youroo!!
Old 01-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #10

Top of slide is not held in by Hydraulics the weight alone holds it in place. If the cylinder is not adjusted for stopping correctly it will cause additional force at bottom and letting the top swing out easier when in turn. I would check that adjustment they have the spec's on lippert's site.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ridge