Old 12-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
2015 Silverback/2014 F250
dont want to buy junk

Hello all, I and my wife have been looking at fifth wheels for 3 months every weekend some times traveling 200 miles to look at them.. We have looked at them all and narrowed the market down to Cardinal, Blue ridge, and ceder creek.. after long hard looking I think the Blue Ridge 3600rs with forced heat underbelly and tank pads is the one the floor plan ,storage in bedroom and kitchen sealed the deal but the refrigerator is only a 12cu in 4 door..We will be full-timers for a year then will be moving to Alaska and plan on taking it with us for camping there.. Is there anyone out there who can make me feel better about buying this unit..

chisumbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud
I don't have personal experience with any of those 3, but i would probably look real hard at the cedar creek. I've heard more issues with blue ridge than the other 2 that have been around much longer. But im sure there are plenty of happy campers with all of them!
Good luck!!

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant
if i was moving to Alaska, i'd be looking for a true 4-season rig, which none of the FR products are.

like Arctic Fox products.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
We own a Blue Ridge 3600. Love the floor plan. we have lots of issues but they ALL have been resolved by FR. Cedar Creeks are top of the line but are a heavier unit.
I agree, on the Artic Fox, they are cold weather units.
jkaspar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Looking at 4 Season RV

First I must say that Cardinal & Cedar Creek are excellent Forest River products. I highly recommend them both.

For The Guy who said that Forest River does not make a 4 Season Rig is mistaken. I own a 2014 Sanibel made by Prime Time Inc. (Division of Forest River). It is a 4 Season Rig with Under Belly Heaters and I'm proud to say I stay nice and Warm in the Winter and Cool in the Summer. If you have questions if it is a 4 Season Rig, (Google it.) I hope I have helped you?

popinfresh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
Here's a link to the construction video of a Cedar Creek. Watch it closely and listen intently. You will find the CC is make to withstand extreme temps and the heavier units come with LT (light truck) tires not trailer tires to name a few items. The CC also has an enclosed and heavily insulated underbelly and in addition heat pads on the holding tanks.

I personally think the Cedar Creek is the best of all the Forest River and their associated brands.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker
Oakman, this is a very good video. Thanks.
Don & Dona W/yorkies Gizmo, Master Chief, & Tali
2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS 2015 Ford 6.7 XLT
2010 Full Timers & Still Going
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
Take a look at the Brookstone models by Coachmen. These are four season units.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #9
We absolutely love our Blue Ridge but.......
Last spring we had our unit sent back to the factory for some water infiltration that caused some minor damage inside the coach. They took care the water issue along with a few other minor things that were wrong too. We camped a dozen times last summer and the coach was awesome until I was cleaning it after our Labor Day weekend trip. That's when I found another spot that water was able to enter the inside. Without much begging Forest River is taking it back to the factory again this February to repair it again. Now I have a big decision to make when we get it back after repairs, do we roll the dice and hope that the coach is fixed for good or do we dump it at a loss and try it again with a different brand? Not an easy decision. We have the 3710bh in the 2013 model year. It does seem like they had most of their troubles in that model year. According to the forum it seems to be the popular year as far as troubles go. I am guessing/hoping that the newer model years are better. We looked at the Sandpiper, Sierra, and Elkridge models that are near identical to our Blue Ridge. We always came back to the Blue Ridge. The only thing keeping me from buying another one is that we don't have a local dealer. Finding a place to warranty your RV can be horrible. Always think of that before you buy from a wholesaler! But as you might have noticed on this forum, there is not a single brand on here that doesn't have some sort of issues. This is very unfortunate when spending this kind of money. Good luck with your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2012 F350 DRW 6.7 PSD
Blue Ridge 3710 BH
garmford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #10
My wife and I bought a new 3600RS about 6 months ago. Had very minor issues (door lock broken, fantastic fan not working correctly, kitchen counter light fixture bulbs went out/defective) but they were fixed, no big deal. We have had no major issues and no other minor ones since and hopefully won't. We also researched many, many brands and chose the Blue Ridge (also seriously considered the Cedar Creek and Cardinal). So far, we have been happy with our choice.

Quality among RV manufacturers is generally questionable at best. They all have their issues and many times it is issues with the items all the manufacturers use in common (refrigerators, water heaters, pumps, AC units, etc.). I have owned 7 units over 20+ years and they all had their own set of issues. I either fixed them or moved on.

Research your potential dealer as well as the brand. A "bad" dealer can kill
any "good" brand due to poor customer service. A "good" dealer can more than make up for most short falls of a "bad" brand with excellent customer service and as long as the shortfalls they can't make up for are not a big deal, then you won't care.

In my humble opinion, all three brands you mentioned are good brands but understand, the Cardinal and Cedar Creek both are much more expensive brands than the Blue Ridge... you get what you pay for in RV's just as anything else.

Make the best choice you can for what you are looking for in all aspects... brand, dealer, money, and enjoy!

Major is offline   Reply With Quote