Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #1

Tires slinging water into camper?

We left for Fl last week. Of course the morning we leave its raining and freezing rain. We had to push out the slides for a little while for last minute packing of food and etc. Of course during that time a thin layer of ice accumulated on the slides. I scraped off what I could, pulled in the slides and down the road we went. We drove thru a lot of rain for about 2 hours. We stopped in Nashville that night to break up the ride. When ran the slides out, the little strip of carpet by the main kitchen slide was wet. I just ignored it thinking it was from the ice that was on the slide when we left home.
Fast forward a week. We left Fl and ran into a few hours of heavy rain in Alabama. Again we stayed in Nashville for the night and again we had wet carpet. It seemed to be more concentrated above the tires.
I looked under there this afternoon and noticed that there is a rubber gasket from the frame towards the slide but it doesn't touch the slide. I'm guessing that is the culprit but here's the kicker, I also got water in the underbelly too. I noticed it before we left Nashville yesterday. There is a relatively large hole where the ram that operates the slide goes thru and is also directly above the tires.
We have driven thru the rain before and never had any issues but they were nothing like the rains the we encountered during our recent Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1459723873.823725.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	103781travel. Even once we got to Fl we had two consecutive days of solid straight down rain, 9" total I heard, and the camper was as dry as you'd expect it to be.
Has anybody else had an issue of water being driven in by the tires while driving?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-03-2016, 06:24 PM   #2
Carknocker Family

Watching for advice. Though not a blue ridge with hydraulic slides. Mine does leak above tires when traveling while raining. Adjusted mine a couple turns down on the 1/2 bolts, but have not traveled in rain since.
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #3

We also have had this same problem recently. We took it to dealer the first week of March, just picked it up yesterday because they won't get to it until May. Did not bother to say that when I made the appointment nor when I dropped it off. They just towed it to their storage lot. Don't recommend Chesaco RV in Joppa MD for any reason.

So I went underneath to see what is going on. What I found was a 3\4" X 3" gap in the plastic cardboard material to the slide bottom. I would have to take picture hard to explain. I stuffed a piece of high density closed cell foam (does not absorb water)in that hole. Sprayed the garden hose at full pressure for 15-20 mins. No signs of leaks but really needs to be road tested.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
Watching for advice. Though not a blue ridge with hydraulic slides. Mine does leak above tires when traveling while raining. Adjusted mine a couple turns down on the 1/2 bolts, but have not traveled in rain since.

What do you mean by adjusting the bolts?

Old 04-04-2016, 05:58 PM   #5

We've had a 3600RS for a couple years now and have not noticed anything like what you have described. We will be heading up to DC for a week this weekend so I'll keep an eye out.

Sorry I couldn't help.
Troy, NC
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #6

Yes, I found the lp hoses and electrial line were interfering with the seal when the slide was closed, letting water in from the tires.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:48 PM   #7

We ran into similar issues driving in heavy rain last fall coming back from Houston. Repair shop told us a rubber seal under the slide was left off and they installed one. Haven't been in the rain yet to know if the issue is truly fixed. One thing it did do though--we always had a small gap where we could see daylight when the slide was in. The rubber strip seems to have eliminated that.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #8

I have a 2015 Rockwood Roo Hybrid with two slides, one over each wheel well. They both leak while driving in the rain. The dealer claims he got one side to stop but I have lost patience with his constant delays and band aid fixes on the other side. The dealer did replace the carpet but not before the leak was 100% corrected. What an idiots! After 6 months and multiple tries by the dealer it is going back to the factory tomorrow. The warranty folks in Indiana seem very dedicated to making it right. We'll see. Luckily I am heading that way on a non-camping family visit so it will not be a special trip.

It just seems to me that there should be some kind of inner fender to stop the wheel spray and take the pressure off that rubber seal.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #9

A year ago February my rig went back to the factory for some warranty issues. After they brought it home I looked at the work order only to find out that the transporter tried going under a 12'8" railroad bridge just south of my house. That required the replacement of both side walls. Also on the work order I saw that they added rollers or guides for the slides. I thought awesome, a nice little upgrade. I think it ended up raising the slide up enough while in the closed position and the rubber gasket never got adjusted to it. I'll have to look to see if I can adjust it somehow.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
Carknocker Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmford View Post
What do you mean by adjusting the bolts?

I adjusted these two bolts, mind you only two turns. Counted just in case I needed to put back.

Do not know if all slides have them.

If you run the bolt down, it tilts the slide in at bottom and tightens bottom seal outside and top seal inside to camper.

If you run it up, it tightens seal inside bottom, outside top.
Attached Images

2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #11

Gotcha! Thanks for explaining.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:25 AM   #12

Blue Ridge Slinging water

I also have a 3025 Blue Ridge with same problem, water leaking in underbelly😔. I had to remove all insulation in rear of coach because it was soaked. I have installed a homemade reflection device between tires and slide openings to try and stop.Do not know if it works, have not drove in rain? I do not have water getting inside camber, just in underbelly. Hope this helps😎
Old 04-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #13

I'd be curious if your homemade device works. I think I'll try to move that gasket when it warms up as long as there's enough material to screw to.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #14

I will post reply when I find out.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Old 04-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #15

not sure if its the same thing but our SolAire got water in it that was wicked up by the tires the first time we drove in a bad rainstorm. We contacted the dealer and brought it in. They found several areas under the trailer that hadn't been sealed well with foam so the water was getting in there then running down the wires, etc and into the tt, soaking the carpet and leaving water on the floor. They sealed all of the holes with expanding foam and its been fine ever since. Might take a look underneath and see if there's any places that water could get in that you could seal up with foam. Cincia

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
I adjusted these two bolts, mind you only two turns. Counted just in case I needed to put back.

Do not know if all slides have them.

If you run the bolt down, it tilts the slide in at bottom and tightens bottom seal outside and top seal inside to camper.

If you run it up, it tightens seal inside bottom, outside top.
All slides do not have that, only the LCI mechanical. You are 100% correct count your turns and make sure it's the same on both sides of the slide....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #17

Hi we have a 23 ikss Rockwood Roo and had that problem with the slide. It went back to the dealer and they put a thicker heavier rubber gasket along the bottom. It didn't work. Still took water under the table. They said they would have to research and get back to us . In the mean time we have a friend with the same camper, same problem. He figured out a fix. He shaped a piece of metal and screwed it to the underneath of the slide. So when the slide in the metal is covering the wheels. Seems to be working. The dealer took pictures of it.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:20 PM   #18

We had gravel under the slide on our 3025,it tore the flooring when slide was moved in or out.Factory said impossable..I replaces 3in seal on bottom with 4in and prob is solved.when slide comes in it lifts up,3in seal left about 1in air gap and tires would throw gravel up onto floor.
JR Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:10 PM   #19

We had a leak in the same place. The underbelly was also retaining water. We discovered the cargo doors were installed upside down allowing water to gather and sent it inside in the same area as your leak.
okie dokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, tire, tires, water