Old 12-04-2015, 11:36 PM   #1
Winter Use

This will be my first winter with my 3025RL (2015) and am in search of winter use tips, I will be travelling between SE Louisiana and Central California via I-10 and may experience some freezing weather. I usually travel with a 1/3 level in fresh water tank and very little grey & black water.

Thanks in advance.

2015 Blue Ridge 3025RL
2015 Ford F-250 4X4
Days Camped 2015 : 58
Miles logged: 10,360
mlwilliams808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #2
Did that route 5 yrs ago in similar "unpredictable" conditions. Did NOT use exposed fresh water tank. Carried 6 gals of fresh water in the rv to flush toilet and warmed water on stove and micro as desired. Kept hot water heater in bypass mode. Picked rv spots by sourcing those rated as clean restrooms and showers via various on line sources. (RV Park Review and Good Sam travel planning. ) Used that method 4 nights from Atlanta until we crossed that last freeze line and refreshed the system.
No issue. Really not much inconvenience. Since tanks were never near capacity, only used 2 gals of anti freeze in traps and sink drain.
We used paper products vs dishes and tossed them. 3 adults traveled. Ate almost all meals in rv. Bought tv style micro dinners for evening or went out if restuarant was handy.
It's really no problem and makes it an adventure.
If you decide to dry camp, buy strong deodorant 😜.
Seriously, you can make it either fun or stressful. We chose FUN!
Lots of folks have tips. Pick and choose what works for you!
One park we chose in Texas surprised us by offering " cases " of small bottles of water due to broken lines in frigid conditions. We took two cases and laughed like crazy. Hey, power worked 👍. Heat was good!!
Travel safe and have fun out there!!

SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
itch'n to road trip
mlwillimas808 --- Have fun winter camping. We live in North Georgia where it gets below freezing often and love winter camping. Less people, no kids, no snakes and no BUGS! Enjoy that campfire and a hot toddy.
We did a couple of things that made winter camping better. We got a small electric heater to add to the gas furnace. Why pay for propane when you already pay for electric at a site.
In addition, we added some insulating foam board under our mattress (Home Depot). Wow! What a difference it makes in keeping the bed warm. Look into a heated mattress pad too (Walmart- Amazon). We turn it one before we got to bed. Nothing like crawling into a warm bed on a cold night.
Electric pipe wrap works well on the hose and exposed water pipes too. (Again, Walmart-Amazon).

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4 "Mae West"
2014 Work & Play 25ULA "Ula"
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight & Valor
Jasper Ga. -
Nights camped Not Enough 2014: 8 2015: 2
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
Does your Blue Ridge have the built-in tank heater option? If so, turn the switch on and it should work off of the tow vehicle power while on the road. Mine has it and I have had no issues.

Anyway, have a safe trip!
Doug and Becky Ridgeway
2014 Blue Ridge 3600RS
2014 Ford F-350 CC 4X4 DRW 6.7 PSD
Troy, NC
Major is offline   Reply With Quote