Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #1

2019 147X Solaire leaking front bunk

Well.. it appears our first venture out into the camping world starts off on a sour note. We bought a brand new 147X after contemplating buying used but didn't want to inherit others "head aches". Well the headache found us. Pulled off lot and sat brand new in driveway for a couple weeks. First storm rolls in... water everywhere up front. Mattress soaked, wood de-laminated and canvas full of water (water bed sound). Found a few other smaller issues with trailer as well. Into dealer for a month.. got call this morning that most items were fixed but they are waiting on warranty authorization for the others and want me to pick it up until the approvals come in. Supposedly new canvas and door gasket up front. Hooked up to trailer, doing my inspection before driving off and what do you know.. full of water again. (luckily another storm just hammered California past few days). Service manager appears to show disgust and right away has me drop trailer to pull back in shop. What service department doesn't even inspect their work before calling customer? So second time for repairs on a trailer that still has plastic on interior. Should have bought a cheap tent trailer to start off....
JKUman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Did you "season" the canvas before this happened? All Popup and hybrid canvas require seasoning before going on a trip.
The dealers should have informed you of this. But having lived in California for 60 years, I can tell you tha most California RV dealers know nothing about hybrids.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to eprovenzano Send a message via MSN to eprovenzano
When you go to pick up your camper this time, make sure your lay out the tent end and inspect every inch of the beds. Look at everything and unless its to your satisfaction do not ownership. This should not have happened from the factory, and especially after the dealers repairs.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Did you "season" the canvas before this happened? All Popup and hybrid canvas require seasoning before going on a trip.
The dealers should have informed you of this. But having lived in California for 60 years, I can tell you tha most California RV dealers know nothing about hybrids.
Bikendan: the leak came from the door gasket according to dealer but to answer your question, no.. nobody told me to "season" the canvas. No trips.. brand new sitting in driveway.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprovenzano View Post
When you go to pick up your camper this time, make sure your lay out the tent end and inspect every inch of the beds. Look at everything and unless its to your satisfaction do not ownership. This should not have happened from the factory, and especially after the dealers repairs.
Will do.. I was tempted to tell them to keep trailer and provide a new one but in California, there is no "lemon" law per say for RV's. As long as the dealer is making efforts to repair under warranty. I've taken pictures and videos of everything. I've even contacted the manufacturer and they said while leaks are uncommon they do happen. Said all warranty work has been approved so just waiting for the call that it is again repaired... I wouldn't advise anyone to purchase a hybrid after all this. I should have done more research.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKUman View Post
Bikendan: the leak came from the door gasket according to dealer but to answer your question, no.. nobody told me to "season" the canvas. No trips.. brand new sitting in driveway.
Should have been a document from the tent manufacturer, regarding seasoning and canvas care/maintenance, in the trailer paperwork.
I can tell you that when we shopped for a hybrid, at SoCal and NorCal dealers, not one knew anything about hybrids.
Unfortunately research before you bought, would have saved you some grief.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 02-20-2019, 04:46 PM   #7

I am sorry you are having such bad luck with your hybrid. We love our shamrock hybrid. We only had a very minor leak at the front bunk when we towed the camper in the rain, nothing like you have described. The dealer adjusted the latches and put a gutter on the top. No leaks since then. We have had a blast with it. Hope yours becomes a much more positive experience once you get out camping.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:07 PM   #8

I am also sorry to hear about your issues with a brand new TT.
As you are now probably now aware, don't trust someone at the dealer inspected and QC'd the work!

FWIW...I get a ladder I check the caulking around the marker lights and above the rain gutter above the bunks at least twice a season on my 147x. I also use some soapy water to clean the seals and inspect them as well.

Good luck and hope you are out camping soon!
2011 Chevy Traverse (traded 2018)
2014 Solaire 147X (traded 2019)
RamsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:33 AM   #9

I learned from experience and if it were me I would ask ' what if I see delamination ' after repairs. We had a similar leak on the front bunk door that caused delam some months after.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamsFan1 View Post
I am also sorry to hear about your issues with a brand new TT.
As you are now probably now aware, don't trust someone at the dealer inspected and QC'd the work!

FWIW...I get a ladder I check the caulking around the marker lights and above the rain gutter above the bunks at least twice a season on my 147x. I also use some soapy water to clean the seals and inspect them as well.

Good luck and hope you are out camping soon!
Yep, that was on the "to do" list. There was absolutely no QC. Even the bottom frame bolts were loose. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChow View Post
I learned from experience and if it were me I would ask ' what if I see delamination ' after repairs. We had a similar leak on the front bunk door that caused delam some months after.
Jim, where did you see the delam? From what I can tell, only the piece of fake wood in front of the bunk was delaminated which is supposed to be replaced. I'm going to ask that my warranty re-start after all repairs have been completed.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:29 PM   #12

JKUman,

This may not apply to the leak that you had. My leak was from the front door seal (I believe) and it took some time for it to get as bad as it shows in the pic, although it started as a small area in the corner. I will add that I did do a repair after this pic was taken that seemed to correct the problem along with replacing the door seals.

I hope the pic comes through, I've always had trouble with posting pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Bunk Delam.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	197611  

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:03 PM   #13

Given that there has been water in the door 2x you know of, you may want to consider asking for an entire new door?

Just a thought. Maybe get the Palomino factory involved just in case. I called them directly for a couple of small parts a few years ago and they were very helpful.
2011 Chevy Traverse (traded 2018)
2014 Solaire 147X (traded 2019)
RamsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:57 PM   #14

Video of water leak

Hopefully the video came through. Sorry for the camera angle. I'll send another of what we found after opening the bunk door.
Attached Files
This video is currently processing...
Old 02-27-2019, 06:01 PM   #15

Exterior pooling of water in canvas area

This is the amount of water that was left pooled up in the outside canvas section (no telling how much water got inside on previous video as the front mattress soaked up a majority of it).
Attached Files
This video is currently processing...
Old 02-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #16

Repair duration

On a side note, this thing has been in the shop two months tomorrow.. Is there any limit on how long the dealer can take for repairs?
Old 02-27-2019, 06:19 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKUman View Post
On a side note, this thing has been in the shop two months tomorrow.. Is there any limit on how long the dealer can take for repairs?
My current TT was in the shop for 5 months.
But I told them that I didn't need it till January.
Issue was with Lippert friction hinges in the the main door and screen door.
Factory said they no longer had a replacement door for 2016 rig.
They ended up having to have a blank door painted and matching decals made.
I used to leave my previous HTT all winter, to have warranty work done, so I got free storage.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
My current TT was in the shop for 5 months.
But I told them that I didn't need it till January.
Issue was with Lippert friction hinges in the the main door and screen door.
Factory said they no longer had a replacement door for 2016 rig.
They ended up having to have a blank door painted and matching decals made.
I used to leave my previous HTT all winter, to have warranty work done, so I got free storage.
Free storage... Never thought of it like that. Good point.

Tags
bunk, leak