Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2
Hello everyone in this post! We're 163X owners and have been since fall 2013, actually! We totally agree, we've only seen one other 163X "in the wild". We see a few of them at the dealer we bought our from and that's it! We really don't understand why as we love ours. We see the Roo's and other similar styles, but we get all the looks when we press the button for the awning!

Our ONLY complaint is a leak in front bunk. I've tried recaulking (per dealer) and still there! Of course, we're outside of warranty ranges. Any ideas?

btw, tip of the decade! Get some Reflectix insulation and cut it to the ends. It's awesome awesome!!! Helps keep it warm/cold plus blocks out unwanted sun at 8am (we like to sleep in)
__________________

__________________
paulandsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:54 PM   #12
2014 Solaire 147X
 
RamsFan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Firestone
Posts: 55
We also purchased our 147x in the fall of 2013 and have never seen another Solaire "in the wild."
Knowing what we know now about towing (our first TT), we wish we had gone with the 163x for the little extra room it has.
Where is your leak, which bunk and is it when open or closed?
__________________

__________________
2011 Chevy Traverse
2014 Solaire 147X
RamsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:54 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamsFan1 View Post
We also purchased our 147x in the fall of 2013 and have never seen another Solaire "in the wild."
Knowing what we know now about towing (our first TT), we wish we had gone with the 163x for the little extra room it has.
Where is your leak, which bunk and is it when open or closed?
I should have included those facts... the leak seems to be when it's open though we MAY have seen it when closed (per wife). It's the front bunk. As far as the 147x, there's not THAT much more in the 163x. In fact, I'd say the deciding factor between the two should be one or two axles. Also, the weight difference. With our tow vehicle, we should have went with the 147x... but! We're happy and that's what matters
__________________
paulandsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #14
2014 Solaire 147X
 
RamsFan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Firestone
Posts: 55
Looking at ours, I would suggest checking the 4 corners (upper/lower left and right) where the canvas attaches to the trailer, from both inside and outside the bunk. Looking for any little gaps where water could get in those areas would be where I would look first.
Glad to hear you are happy with your 163x as we are too!
__________________
2011 Chevy Traverse
2014 Solaire 147X
RamsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 9
We bought our 163x in May and have been out just about every weekend since we got it home. We love it! No problems, great prep by the dealer and with the Equalizer hitch it tows behind the Explorer like a dream. We added a power front jack as recommended by the person that prepped it for us. Well worth the extra money as cranking it up and down on the hitch would have been painful for this old guy. Hope you all enjoy your Solaire as much as we do. We are in Bar Harbor ME this week and having a great camping experience. Acadia National Park is beautiful.
__________________
Pilot172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
New 163x owner

Hello everyone,

My wife and I recently bought a used 2014 163x.

I have a couple of newbie questions, as this is our first RV
(tenting 30+yr).

First concern is the 12v batteries. We picked it up last month, from a local dealer, and it's been sitting in the back yard since. When I hooked it to the truck last night, I noticed the RV battery was close to dead. I know that over time the battery will go dead, but it's only been 5 weeks. I want to know if there is a master switch that needs to be shut off, or is this normal. I know some like the clock, and radio are still on when everything else is shutdown.

Also, I don't have 30a at home, so can I just plug in my dogbone, and charge the battery with 110 ?, or do I hook up a battery charger to one of the batteries. If I can just plug in the dogbone, is there a switch to activate or just plug in, and that's it. What kind of charger do I need? Can I use a car battery charger?
I know it should charge once I hook up to 30a, but I would like to charge it before we leave in the next couple of days.

Question #2, are there any useful links for understanding/troubleshooting the Electrical system ?

Thanks for any suggestions, and again, sorry for the newbie questions.


Rick
__________________
2ooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #17
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 10,465
Google "The 12 Volt Side of Life" to learn about RV electric.

You're lucky the battery lasted that long without being plugged into shore power.
RVs have numerous parasitic power drains.
You may have damaged the battery by allowing it to drain completely.

Yes, get a 30 to 20 amp puck adapter and plug it into your 110v outlets.
The trailer's converter will keep the battery charged.

I'm pretty sure your Palo doesn't have a factory disconnect switch.
They're easy to install.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #18
2014 Solaire 147X
 
RamsFan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Firestone
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ooler View Post
Hello everyone,

My wife and I recently bought a used 2014 163x.

I have a couple of newbie questions, as this is our first RV
(tenting 30+yr).

First concern is the 12v batteries. We picked it up last month, from a local dealer, and it's been sitting in the back yard since. When I hooked it to the truck last night, I noticed the RV battery was close to dead. I know that over time the battery will go dead, but it's only been 5 weeks. I want to know if there is a master switch that needs to be shut off, or is this normal. I know some like the clock, and radio are still on when everything else is shutdown.

Also, I don't have 30a at home, so can I just plug in my dogbone, and charge the battery with 110 ?, or do I hook up a battery charger to one of the batteries. If I can just plug in the dogbone, is there a switch to activate or just plug in, and that's it. What kind of charger do I need? Can I use a car battery charger?
I know it should charge once I hook up to 30a, but I would like to charge it before we leave in the next couple of days.

Question #2, are there any useful links for understanding/troubleshooting the Electrical system ?

Thanks for any suggestions, and again, sorry for the newbie questions.


Rick


Ours did not have a battery disconnect. I installed one and it helped, but there must be something that still draws, as it would still go dead, just took longer.
As Bikendan said, plug it in at home. My sits in storage since I am HOA, and I installed this. Works great.
Nature Power Solar Battery Charger Kit- 18 Watt - RDK Products 40158 - Solar Panels - Camping World
__________________
2011 Chevy Traverse
2014 Solaire 147X
RamsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
Thanks for the replies and links. I guess I'll have to watch it a little closer in the future. The disconnect sounds like the way to go.
__________________
2ooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #20
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 10,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ooler View Post
Thanks for the replies and links. I guess I'll have to watch it a little closer in the future. The disconnect sounds like the way to go.
you should have the battery tested with a hydrometer.
you may have damaged it permanently.
batteries shouldn't be allowed to go below 50% charge level.
__________________

__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.