Old 11-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #1

Anyone else with a Solaire 163X?

We just purchased ours a few weeks ago and are getting ready to take it on its first short weekend trip tomorrow.
I have searched the forums but have not seen that many others have this same camper...?
Thanks!

2009 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
Jennifer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

Palomino does not sell very many hybrids.
And smaller hybrids don't sell very well either.
There are way more Roo/Shamrock dealers than Palomino dealers.

'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #3

Thanks!

That is interesting....now that I think about it, I do usually see lots of Roos, Shamrocks and Jaycos at the campgrounds. It seems like every other site nowadays is a small hybrid - the campgrounds are full of them!!
But, very few Solaires I guess. I have seen some folks on here that have the smaller version of ours, the 147X and I think someone has the next bigger one, the 190 but I have not seen anyone that has this middle size.

Well, I guess we will see....maybe in a few years I will be the expert on this camper and when new ppl join the forum, I will be able to answer their questions for a change!
2009 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
Old 03-31-2015, 03:55 PM   #4
pxt

I'm looking really hard at a 163x right now. Any more reviews? Storage, towing, and bunk ends reviews..Ty
Old 03-31-2015, 04:34 PM   #5

PXT,

Well, I don't have too much to add yet as it is just now starting to look like spring around here. :-) But we did take it out once last year before we put it away for the winter and are going to take it out this upcoming weekend for a short trip.
The trip last year went fantastic, no complaints at all. Everything worked perfectly, was warm, comfy, cozy on a cold fall weekend.
We kept it outside this winter and unfortunately, never were able to get the cover we purchased put on. It snowed before we got over there to put it on and since then, it has been wet or snowy weather every other time we had a day to go over there. However, my boyfriend checks on it a few times a month and it is doing fine - dry inside, no leaks anywhere.
I cannot comment on storage really either as, like I said, we have only used it once and didn't pack it full of all our stuff right before the winter. I know I have plans on where I will put everything and I don't foresee any issues. We went to a few RV shows over the winter and looked again at small hybrids, including the smaller 147X, and we still stand behind our decision to get this one - the floor plan just makes sense for us - 2 adults and a large dog.
Towing - now I don't drive it, my boyfriend does - but we have towed it without a hitch distribution kit or sway bars, with a Chevrolet Silverado 1500, about 300-350 miles so far, with no problems. One of the main reasons we picked this size and style camper is due to the light weight and ease of towing as we like to go for short weekend trips and/or move around from campground to campground during longer trips and didn't want something that was difficult to grab and go.
One more thing - we did find a few issues with the camper when we did out initial walk through. And although we did have to follow up pretty aggressively with the dealer to get resolution, the warranty department at Forest River, came through on their end. In fact, we found a small tear in one of the mattress covers on the bottom and requested a new mattress cover. They sent us a brand new mattress instead, along with the other replacement parts we had mentioned. (We had them sent to us instead of to the dealer as we live a few hours from the dealer and will just do the repairs ourselves.)
So - that is all I have for now...I can tell you more after this weekend's trip.
2009 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
Old 03-31-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
pxt

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxt View Post
Thanks for your thoughts!
No problem! I can add more after a few trips in it obviously.

Between you and I - I hope you get one as I think I am currently the only one on the forums that has the 163X and I need a partner in crime.
2009 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
Old 05-31-2015, 08:28 AM   #8

Just a heads up - New member with a 163x We've used it for 6 trips last year, and just got back form first trip this year.

Had it covered in the winter (Toledo, so SNOW all the time). So far, only 2 mysteries to solve... we got a little water in the front bunk at the hinge... we think it came in during a monsoon AFTER we dewinterized it. Also, one of the speakers cuts out... The 12 Month Warranty just died, so... I get to investigate...

Keep an eye on the foam gasket around the bunks.. ours are loose... I'm thinking I need to glue them down.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2015, 03:35 PM   #9
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidewall View Post
The 12 Month Warranty just died, so... I get to investigate...

Good luck!
Did you not buy the 2nd year factory warranty for only $150?
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:46 PM   #10

Rolltidewall,

Glad to see another member with the 163X! :-)
We are still very happy with ours - have used it about 4 times this year so far - 3 state park trips and one "boondocking" weekend.
The cover for the porch light did fall off somewhere in transit on our last trip - not sure how or why but that is an easy fix. We did notice some moisture in the front bunk end hinge also when we packed up the first trip but it wasn't enough to even call it "water" actually...more like condensation. The last 3 trips we have cracked a window or the roof vents a tiny bit at night when we are sleeping and haven't had any moisture since. Could be a fix for you as well?
Let me guess, the speaker that cuts out is the one over the sofa by the front bunk? When we did our walk through, we noticed that that speaker sounded "blown" and asked them to replace it, which they did. However, it still vibrates quite a bit when the TV or radio gets loud. Nothing we cannot live with - the only time we really use the inside speakers is when we go camping in cold weather and watch a movie or something. The rest of the time - we just leave those front speakers off, turn on the outside ones and sit outside.
I haven't noticed any issues with the foam gaskets yet but thanks for the heads up. We have been traveling and storing the camper with the mattresses out of the bunk ends and placed on the floor between the sofa and dinette. We just figured, the less pressure on the bunk ends, the better...it probably doesn't matter but its just as easy to do it that way as it is to leave them in and close the bunks.

We have not used the hot water heater yet...mostly because it still confuses me! LOL! I simply do not know if there is water in the tank and I am worried about turning it on if there isn't. I have read everything I can find on the internet and watched YouTube videos and I am still confused on what direction all the valves should be facing to ensure there is water in the tank. I know...its not that hard but because I am so worried about doing it wrong, I keep second guessing myself!

We are in PA and have yet to see another 163X or even another Solaire at all, on the roads or in the campgrounds.
We do gets lots of compliments on ours as people really seem to like the outside colors so that is nice!

Have a safe and happy summer camping!

2009 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ