Old 11-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
Back from Trip#1 with the Solaire 163X!

Well - we took the new camper out for a short weekend trip, Friday night after work until this afternoon. Everything went great! {PHEW!}
I was worried about a lot of things...well, actually, basically everything!

Luckily, my worrywart ways were for naught. Towed well - no problems there. Got to the campsite around 730 pm and it was pitch black and snowing. Just flurries on the way there so nothing too bad but it was COLD...BRRR! Tom and I had a routine with the pop-up to avoid stress and fights but since this was the first time with the new camper, we talked on the drive up and tried to come up with our "new-going forward plan when we arrive." It went ok, aka - minimal yelling and swearing at each other under our breath! We knew the site well as we have camped there many many times in the pop-up in the past, so that helped - it is a large site and almost completely flat. We set up some lanterns/flashlights at strategic spots and Tom did a great job getting her in and avoiding the tree-obstacle course nature has put up across the road.

Took us about 10 minutes to get her level and set up and then Tom took the dog and went on a drive to find firewood while I got the beds made, the heat running and made it cozy on the inside.

The wood was too green to get going, and, let's be honest - we were too excited to be able to hang out in our new camper - for the first time - at a campground - to NOT be in it!
So we popped in a movie and snuggled up for night #1.
The only problem we had was that when we turned on the furnace, the air conditioner fan was running too. We couldn't figure that out so it was a loud night. The next day, I played around with the thermostat and found the auto setting-that solved that problem. We had no cell service where we were or I would have been asking you folks for help on that one.

Day 2, was warmer - 50s and sunny so we spent time outside with the dog, doing the usual "camping" thing and just enjoying being there. Only had a few neighbors - 1 other TT and a group of tenters - we walked up and met them and socialized a little. Got my phone and Kindle bluetooth hooked to the camper stereo so we had some music. That evening we put a lasagna in the oven and watched another movie before going to bed early. I have to say it was the first time I have ever cooked in an oven and watched movies while camping. And I loved it!!
Got up this am, made breakfast and coffee on the Coleman stove outside rather than inside as we didn't have the water hooked up and I really wanted to keep the mess out of the camper. Closing up went well - cleaned the trailer to within an inch of her life - (I swear I swept about 45 times this weekend)
We decided to take the mattresses out of the ends and put them on the floor between the couch and dinette. We just figured the less pressure on the ends, the better. Or maybe it doesn't matter but that is what we did.
Tom tightened some wayward screws and adjusted some seals that needed twerking. And homeward bound.

When we got here, we removed all the food and the LED TV from the trailer and added some Lever bars of soap. (I read on one of these threads that they help keep rodents out? Not sure but I am going to try it!) It is back in storage tonight....and I miss it already!
I have a list started of things I now know I will need come spring - and I hit up a few stores this afternoon and crossed a few things off my list already. I desperately need to get some new clothes/shoes for work and quite a few things for the sticks and bricks house too...but its not nearly as much fun to buy those things as it is to buy things for the camper!!

So, all in all - a successful first outing and we are really happy and even more in love with our TT now. I hope to keep having stories like this to share as we get to know and enjoy our new Solaire.
I took some pics and will try to get them posted soon.
Back to the "real world" and work for another week.

2015 Solaire 163X
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 High Country
2009 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
Jennifer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
Average Joe
Sounds like the perfect first trip! I remember the smiles from ear to ear on our first trip. The getting used to a warm camper and TV.....priceless.

Joe and Karen
2014 Sunseeker 2450sf

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
Glad your first time out went well! It's such a huge step up from a popup, it'll make you appreciate it that much more. Enjoy!
2014 Roo 23SS
2013 GM Sierra CC
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Nites Camped 2016 -25
Jimandchris is online now   Reply With Quote