Old 08-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #1

Damaged door... warranty???

So we headed to camp this past Friday, headed home tomorrow. Anyways I get to camp, check in, drive to the water fill station and as I walk around the camper I see the gas shock attached to the door is hanging by a thread. Above the door is fine, on the door the screws ripped out. One hole is not bad bit one cracked the fiberglass pretty bad.

I have a RV forever warranty, good forever as long as I do an annual maintenance. Fingers crossed this is covered

Old 08-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Keep us posted.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:33 AM   #3

Step one - called warranty company who stated this is not covered. The book and the guy on the phone stated "interior and exterior components covered: door handles, latches and springs" but the gas strut or gas shock (what ever it is called) ripping off and cracking the door does not fall under those three things.

for all other coverage areas (suspension, brakes, water, A/c, LP gas, Kitchen, heating and more) there are more lengthy lists, but really for interior and exterior your only going to cover 3 things???

Think i will call and talk to the dealer where i got the unit and warranty. maybe they can fight for me a little.

if not i might try to fix myself some how but i can see the cracks getting worse. probably will need to take to a shop to either fix the fiberglass first or possible need a new door.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:38 AM   #4

Photos?
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Nights Camped: '15 = 22'16 = 46
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #5

sorry didnt take any, i can after work tonight. gas shock was attached to the top of the door. It has a angled piece of metal, one flat side attached to the door with two screws going through the metal trim around the door and into the fiberglass. not sure if there was anything behind the fiberglass. gotta get the ladder out to inspect closer.

one screw basic just striped straight out. The other kind of ripped down through the metal door trim and cracked the fiberglass. crack and hole is maybe about one inch.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:53 AM   #6

Did you hit something? (tree limb?)
Not sure I understand how the gas shock was 'hanging by a thread' if the door wasn't opened too far or you hit something.
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Nights Camped: '15 = 22'16 = 46
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #7
jeff

My TT came with that too. Never had the first $200 " inspection". I figured there would be more holes in that warranty than a piece of aged swiss
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Did you hit something? (tree limb?)
Not sure I understand how the gas shock was 'hanging by a thread' if the door wasn't opened too far or you hit something.
to my knowledge i didn't hit anything. 90% of my drive that day was on a 4 lane highway. the rest was down a few back roads and county roads. my brother was in front of me with a much larger 5th wheel than my hybrid. at any bridge or tree i was watching to see if he hit anything, which he never did, if he cleared i should have too. Never heard anything and i inspected the camper before we headed out.

so i am with you, no idea how this happened. my only thought is from the main park gate to the registration office the road was really rough. could have been during that.

just emailed the guy who was my salesman last year and is now the parts department manager. hoping the dealer can talk to the warranty company, or maybe the dealer or manufacture will do something for me.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
My TT came with that too. Never had the first $200 " inspection". I figured there would be more holes in that warranty than a piece of aged swiss
my inspection cost me $80 and i was able to go to a local dealer rather than where i bought it a few hours away. All warranties have holes but the big appliance stuff seems to be covered good here, just not the small stuff. If nothing else the inspection i had did find a small hole in the roof i didnt see, so warranty aside the hole may have never been noticed and could have cost a ton in the future.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpa098 View Post
So we headed to camp this past Friday, headed home tomorrow. Anyways I get to camp, check in, drive to the water fill station and as I walk around the camper I see the gas shock attached to the door is hanging by a thread. Above the door is fine, on the door the screws ripped out. One hole is not bad bit one cracked the fiberglass pretty bad.

I have a RV forever warranty, good forever as long as I do an annual maintenance. Fingers crossed this is covered
Plate both sides and run Bolts and place nuts on the inside! It will be easier than what they are going to put you through! Fac running screws into VERY THIN door Skin is asking for Failure! Youroo!!

Tags
door, warranty