Old 04-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #1

Forest River - Palomino Recall 15V-156

So I unfortunately got a strange letter in the mail a few days ago letting us know there is a safety defect in some SolAire trailers manufactured between July 2014 - August 2014. Ours has a manufacture date of 6/27/2014 but our VIN is included in the Recall Notice.

It says the following:

"The trailer may have been manufactured without the exterior furnace vent, which allows the exhaust to be vented into the trailer posing a high risk of carbon monoxide exposure and a potential for a fire to take place inside the trailer at the location of the furnace which may not be easily accessible during and emergency. The lack of a vent on the exterior of the trailer also violates the furnace manufacturers installation instructions."

So - we are picking up the camper this evening to go on a weekend trip but I have been worrying over this since we got the letter. I am 99% sure we have an exterior vent on ours but I am doubting myself now...thinking that what I am seeing is not what they are referring too?

I attached this picture I found and I think what I see is the furnace vent but I would appreciate it if y'all could take a look as well.

Later in the letter it says that if the dealer inspects the trailer and sees a furnace vent, they are just to take a picture of it and advise Forest River of the VIN. We live a few hours from the dealer so rather than haul it up there just to take a picture, I thought I would check with your knowledge base first.

Here is the picture....I had to zoom in so it is not that clear. And like I said, we are picking it up tonight so I will get a better picture then as well.

Thank you!

2009 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
Jennifer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

No picture

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre

Old 04-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #3

I don't think the pictures got attached.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:52 AM   #4

Here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141026_163113-1-1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	72712  
2009 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
Jennifer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
Site Team

The metal vent to the right of your outside shower is for your vent. Now, the question becomes, is the vent hooked up? Just because there's one the exterior that doesn't mean everything's alright on the inside.

You'll have to open the cabinet, bench or whatever it is you have on the inside where that furnace is located and confirm it goes to that vent you see on the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
The metal vent to the right of your outside shower is for your vent. Now, the question becomes, is the vent hooked up? Just because there's one the exterior that doesn't mean everything's alright on the inside.

You'll have to open the cabinet, bench or whatever it is you have on the inside where that furnace is located and confirm it goes to that vent you see on the outside.
I don't think you can see anything from the inside. On mine, I had to remove the outside vent to see it, and it is a major PITA to remove if it is connected. I would imagine, if it isn't connected, the outside cover will come off very easily once you break the caulking loose.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #7

If the vent blows hot air and if you block the inlet air on the bottom I would assume it is connected correctly.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #8

If you can get your hands on an inspection camera it may fit in the vent and you can see if it's connected that.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I don't think you can see anything from the inside. On mine, I had to remove the outside vent to see it, and it is a major PITA to remove if it is connected. I would imagine, if it isn't connected, the outside cover will come off very easily once you break the caulking loose.

On my Flagstaff it's under the dinette bench. Real easy to lift the bench and see if there's something between the unit and the outside vent. But that's just my trailer. I'd hate to try to do this if it was, say, under the fridge or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #10

Sounds like a good reason for a backup CO detector.
Cars and RVs, neither one sends out problem notices until something bad happens.

Tags
forest river, palomino, recall