Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #1

Furnace & Mattress Condensation

maiden voyage this weekend in the 2009 S-238. Temperatures in the low 30's so we had to run the heater. Installed pop up gizmos the second evening on the two ends but found it was still pretty chilly on the ends,. Main cabin stayed very warm but the furnace ( set on 60 ) ran all night with out shutting off. I had roof vents slightly opened for ventilation. Also is there a way to direct more heat out of the duct in the front of the camper instead of 95 % coming out of the duct at the furnace.

Also had mattress condensation the first evening ( without gizmos on )
Rob2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:29 AM   #2

I would suggest trying the Reflectix mod in the bed ends to help keep the heat in. Use some under the mattress too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GizmoBungies.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	72534
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2015 View Post
maiden voyage this weekend in the 2009 S-238. Temperatures in the low 30's so we had to run the heater. Installed pop up gizmos the second evening on the two ends but found it was still pretty chilly on the ends,. Main cabin stayed very warm but the furnace ( set on 60 ) ran all night with out shutting off. I had roof vents slightly opened for ventilation. Also is there a way to direct more heat out of the duct in the front of the camper instead of 95 % coming out of the duct at the furnace.

Also had mattress condensation the first evening ( without gizmos on )
as Wiscampsin suggested, using Reflectix in colder weather will do a lot in retaining heat. the PUGs only cover the vinylized top. the sides are not covered and they are just plain canvas, so heat will leak through the sides much easier than the top. though i'm not sure with your 238, since i'm more familiar with Roo/Shamrock.

same goes for the heat. our Roo has a furnace duct that we can direct towards the front bunk and the rear bunk. don't know how your Palo has it set up. pics would help, cause there aren't a lot of 238's out there, though it's a great floorplan.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:00 PM   #4

Haven't used the PUGs or the reflectix yet.....would it be wise to use them in the summer months as well as the cold temps.....this year will be the first full year with our hybrid
h4kintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:17 PM   #5

Definitely 'yes' for the summer. Besides reflecting the sun's rays off the tents, it keeps anything from staining the too. Pine sap, berries, bird dropping, etc
Old 04-04-2015, 11:33 PM   #6
Site Team

PUGs and Reflectix also help keep the tent ends cool in the summer.
they also help the a/c not work as hard.

PUGs and Reflectix are more applicable for summer temps, than colder temps.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:42 PM   #7

I've owned 2 pop ups and a hybrid. Condensation under those conditions is almost impossible to eliminate entirely however you have had some very good suggestions. I concur with those other posts. Good luck. Please make sure when you're done camping you open it back up and let it completely dry to avoid must and mildew in your new camper. It's a pain I know but will insure many good years out of your fabric. Have fun!
TST 507RV TPMS
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #8

10-4 on using them in the summer months....I figured that would be the answer but ya never know... I guess the only dumb question is the one you don't ask right! I can't wait to get her out of storage n get to camping, Im driving my queen nuts!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
Definitely 'yes' for the summer. Besides reflecting the sun's rays off the tents, it keeps anything from staining the too. Pine sap, berries, bird dropping, etc

Could you just use a piece of silver tarp and wrap it around the tent end? This is my first Hybrid and we were out this weekend in 37 and it was cold but refreshing in the front end

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 PM   #10

Here in the south we deal with a lot of humidity. No super cold temps but it gets really hot and steamy. We have an evadry dehumidifier that makes a big difference in keeping things dry. We also keep a vent partially open as well. Never had any problems with condensation.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
Here in the south we deal with a lot of humidity. No super cold temps but it gets really hot and steamy. We have an evadry dehumidifier that makes a big difference in keeping things dry. We also keep a vent partially open as well. Never had any problems with condensation.

How do yall like your dehumidifier and how noisy is it? We have been looking for one just can't seem to find one that is quiet enough
Old 04-15-2015, 06:11 AM   #12

We bought the Evadry when we got our Fleetwood Niagara Popup. Then the HTT and now our Salem. We've used it in all of them. The one we have is the big one. They offer several sizes but we went big thinking in this case the bigger the better. It's very quiet. We don't even notice it. We place it in the center of the trailer so it covers the whole trailer so we don't hear it at all when we are sleeping. But then we keep the fan on the ac running because we like the white noise.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace