Old 06-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeblercamps View Post
Hi folks,

So I'm heading to the East coast and 2 buddies reminded me that I need to grease the axles when I'm out there. Or I should.

I'm not a mechanic! Lol
I wasn't going to pry the Hub off, but are ball bearings behind it?

Is it easy to do?

I might call a local dealer and pay them to show me.

Cheers,
Brian
It makes No difference if unit is New bearing should be checked/greased! Since you stated "Not a mechanic" you probably Dont have the Tools or Jacks/safety equip. to perform this job anyway,any GOOD repair shop should be able to do this inspection/lube job correctly! Youroo!!

Old 06-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #12

It's not a hard job, but time consuming and you have to have the time, new seals, tools, jacks, and jackstands.

If you have never done it, take it to a tire or RV place you trust and it's usually $250 or less. I have mine done yearly by an independent RV repair guy I know for $160.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #13
Canadian Member

If your axles have the zerk grease fittings, you'll need a bottle jack, proper sized sockets and a torque wrench capable of 100-110 ft.lbs., plus the grease gun and high temp bearing grease (I use Lucas Red N Tacky).

Here is a video of the Dexter E-Z Lube system.
https://youtu.be/WzW1kK8oWkc
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #14
Swift2

My son and I bought new break plates and hand packed the bearings in 4hrs. Old breaks were covered with grease and looked unusable to us. It is messy job. Bought the break plates at the local RV dealer for $65 and could have gotten them for $45 something on the Internet but were pushed for time. Good luck and get a tube of hand cleaner😉
Old 06-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Dexter axles website has some good videos on servicing the bearings. I would do this before going to the east coast. Although it is not clear if it is necessary. Age, mileage, road conditions all factor in on when to service bearings.
I do mine once a season, I pull the hubs clean bearings check seals and hand pack bearings. I use a infrared temperature gun to monitor the bearings. If I see temps over 150 degrees I will give them a shot of grease. I also have ez lube hubs so that makes it kinda simple. You will have a hard time finding a shop that will "teach" you how to do it.

X2 Pull all wheel once a year in the spring. Check for any wheel end issues. This year has two outer bearings that were showing some hi heat color so replaced them. Also has a wire broken off one brake magnet sp caught that. My theory (And history shows it works) ...... a little PM at home beats sitting on the side of the road somewhere with a when end issue. When I'm traveling I like to have to do a minimum of maintenance on the road. Just sayin !
Old 06-27-2016, 07:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift 2 View Post
My son and I bought new break plates and hand packed the bearings in 4hrs. Old breaks were covered with grease and looked unusable to us. It is messy job. Bought the break plates at the local RV dealer for $65 and could have gotten them for $45 something on the Internet but were pushed for time. Good luck and get a tube of hand cleaner😉
Or better still use disposable gloves!
Old 06-28-2016, 08:35 AM   #17
Newly Retired

Some axles have a fitting on the axle end just under the hub cover. You can work the rubber cap out of cover or grip the metal cap with channel lock plyers. Shooting Greece in the fitting is Not as good as comleatly removing and manually repacking but still a good thing to do. Well lubricated bearings won't fail unless there is contamination present.
Check utube for help.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #18

I have the same camper and it has the fittings for a grease gun. for my warranty i have to take it to a dealer for yearly maintenance (water heater, furnace, axel lube, check all seals and more). Pretty sure he just hit it with a grease gun
Old 06-28-2016, 12:08 PM   #19
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpa098 View Post
I have the same camper and it has the fittings for a grease gun. for my warranty i have to take it to a dealer for yearly maintenance (water heater, furnace, axel lube, check all seals and more). Pretty sure he just hit it with a grease gun
Is that an extended warranty? Aftermarket?

Depending on the mileage you put on your trailer, I would recommend that you should pull the wheels and manually clean and repack the bearings at least every other year. If you do a lot of miles, it would be better to manually do the bearings once a year. Using the grease fitting to inject fresh grease periodically throughout the season is a good preventative maintenance measure.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Is that an extended warranty? Aftermarket?

Depending on the mileage you put on your trailer, I would recommend that you should pull the wheels and manually clean and repack the bearings at least every other year. If you do a lot of miles, it would be better to manually do the bearings once a year. Using the grease fitting to inject fresh grease periodically throughout the season is a good preventative maintenance measure.
its a life time/extend warranty the dealer through in for me

Tags
axle, bearings