Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #1

New Solaire 163X - small issues questions

Good Morning! Wasn't sure where to post this...
We just picked up our new 2015 Solaire 163X 10 days ago. We were told by the dealer that they would order it from the factory and it would be built, then transported to the dealer and then to us. Well, we picked it up and just found some small issues with it and I was wondering, is this normal or is my OCD kicking in and I am being too picky?
The biggest issue we uncovered is that the camper was not "just built." We picked it up on 10/21 but the camper itself was built on 6/27/14. I called the factory and confirmed that yes, it was built in June and sat in their "stock lot" until the order came through from the dealer on 9/30. The color scheme we asked for had a cloth couch and trim which we preferred over the Naugahyde as we have a large german shepherd and I was worried about scratches from his paws. Camper came with the fake leather - so again, I called the factory and they confirmed they were not making that option anymore and didn't have any in stock. The dealer neglected to tell us this so they are having a custom cloth couch cover made for us - problem #1 solved. But of course, now my eyes and ears are perked for more issues....
We did find a small tear in one mattress, a rip in the trim on the dinette and the screws on the electrical panel were stripped. The electrical panel issue was fixed that day and the other parts are on order to be replaced. There were also some minor issues I noticed, trim loose on the fridge, a small scrape on the rear bumper, (fixed that day as well) a black streak on the outside. (also fixed.)
My question is this: Is this normal for a brand new camper or am I expecting too much? When we did a deep clean of the camper last weekend, I noticed other small things as well - just filament on some of the metal screws not cleaned off, some screws crooked, silicone sealer on the glass of the windows, battery screws much too long and sticking out from under the hitch. I know these are small things that are easily fixed. However, my feeling is that I should not have to fix them...they should be correct when they arrive as this camper was ordered "brand new."
Our previous camper was a used pop-up, bought from its 2nd owner who was meticulous about its care so it was in beautiful shape for being 10 years old. I did not ever see any of these sloppy issues in that camper after 3 years of using it nearly every weekend from April to October. Were they just made better back then or did the previous owners "clean up" these issues in their years of owning it? Am I crazy to expect the trailer to arrive in perfect condition? I understand things happen in transport and life but I want to be the one to "screw up" my new camper , not receive it that way?
And do I need to be upset about the fact that that it is actually almost 4 months old when we received it? I mean, it sat in the weather for all those months, exposed and aging? I was furious when I first noticed that but after I confirmed with the factory that is was not used by anyone or any dealer in a show or anything, was not a lot model and did in fact, just get made and put in stock, my mind was eased, slightly!

So...sorry for the long post but I was hoping those of you with more experience purchasing RVs could give some feedback.
2009 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
Jennifer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #2

There are always some minor issues with every camper. A good PDI inspection at time of purchase should uncover most issues before you leave the lot. As far as build date, it sounds like the factory had something had (almost) exactly what you ordered. Options and colors always subject to change without notice. I wish you luck. Your problems sound minor(although annoying) compared to some things i've read here

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrickim63 View Post
Your problems sound minor(although annoying) compared to some things i've read here
Thanks - and yes, I agree - if these are all the issues we have run into, I can certainly not complain! And I definitely don't want it to sound like I am whining about these minor things!
Just didn't know if this was normal since this is the first new camper we have purchased.
And if you think I am nit-picky about this camper, you should see me try to buy a house or a car!
I have had the same car for 14 years however and it is still going strong with 257,000 miles on it so I must have done something right all those years ago.
2009 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
Jennifer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #4

Yup minor issues but get them fixed while under warranty.
Marines0811 is offline   Reply With Quote