Old 01-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Potential Hybrid

I am new to this forum and have some questions. We have been camping for about 5 years now. We started with a jayco popup and loved it. Looking to expand to a hyrbrid. I have narrowed my search down to a Solaire 213x or a Jayco x23f. Its seems like you get more for your money with the Solaire but the Jayco seems to be a little more solid inside. The major difference I can see is the way the tent beds are secured on the Jayco, versus the velcro on the Solaire. Does anyone have any feedback as to which system is better.

consultantfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
I don't know which is better but I did want to welcome you to the forum.

2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
We bought a Solaire 213x this past summer. We love it. We looked at the Roo, Shamrock and Solaire. We preferred the floor plan of Solaire but the tent ends on the Roo. The price and location of the dealer also played big role in our decision.
PhotoDj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
We also considered both a Jayco and Solaire hybrid last winter. Ended up with a Roo, but it was because of a new floorplan that they offered. I think either tent end is probably fine.

One thing to throw in the mix - the Roo/Shamrock tent ends are permanently attached. That eliminates the flap that comes down and covers door when the bed is down. What we found good about that is there is a lot less material to potentially get pinched in the seal when closing the door. That, I would speculate (from reading on here) is one of the main causes of leaks. Leaks in the tents is pretty rare it seems, but there is a potential for leaks when the doors are closed. All the manufacturers seem to be constantly improving their seals, but no seal will work right if there is material caught in it.

So you could check out the 233S if the 3 bunk floorplan is what you are looking for. I think between the 3, it would probably come down to personal preference in features & decor, and price.

2005 F-150 FX4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:54 AM   #5
Moderators' Assistant
since you're comparing a Forest River brand, with a non-Forest River brand, you might want to post this question in a hybrid forum not associated with a particular brand, like this one.
doubt if you'll get much info on the Jayco here and probably overwhelming positives on FR's hybrid, the Roo, Shamrock, Surveyor, Coachmen and Solaire.

try non-brand associated sites such as Hybrid Explorer, Popup Portal's Hybrid section or's Hybrid Forum. you'll find owners of all hybrid brands there.

i am surprised that Palomino hasn't moved to the permanently attached canvas on the Solaire, like all the other FR hybrid brands.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
I can't remember if the new Roo/Shamrocks have a double seal on the bunkends or not but the Solaire with the semidetachable tents have an inner and outer seal. Once you detach the outer flap it exposes a flat surface for the inner seal when the bunkend is closed. I haven't noticed any leaks with our trailer yet!
PhotoDj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
Welcome aboard
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
Welcome to the forum. I just moved from a Coleman Utah pop-up (after 11 years) to a Rockwood Roo 21ss. Only got in 2 trips before cold weather, but loving it so far. Don't know much about the Solaire, but I spent a lot of time looking at hybrids online and kept coming back to the Roo. Final decision was made when I found a great deal on a (barely) used 2013 Roo at a dealer. Good luck with whichever you choose!
Ann ("Older than springtime, younger than dirt.")
Molly, my rescued cockapoo, who loves camping
2013 Rockwood Roo 21SS
2003 Dodge Durango SXT w/full towing package
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Thanks for your replies. My wife and I decided to go with Solaire. We liked the 2013 Roo but didn't care for the changes they made to the latches in 2014. The latches on the Solaire are the same as they were on the 2013 Roo. We also didn't care for the indentation on the beds in the 2014 Roos. I agree the cabinets appear to be better in the Roo, but we seemed to get more on Solaire for the same price. I found a 2013 in Chestnut exterior which I wanted since I am hoping it will show the dirt less. Suppose to pick it up in March.
consultantfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
We just purchased a 2014 213X Three bunk Solaire. Moving up from the Pop up and I can hardly contain my excitement. Spring is not going to get her fast enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4057.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	45719  

MissDLynn is offline   Reply With Quote