Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #1

The Big Switch (popup to Hybrid)

Hello to all;
Well after 12 yrs of popups the wife and I are contemplating the move to a Hybrid. We are in the midwest and every year make the winter outing to the RV show to see what is out there and dream, also to prime ourselves after a long winter for the coming season. We our looking at the Roo 233s as it seems to have the most space and with three kids and friends room is a good thing. I have also seen the KZ coyote and Palomino Stampede but like having the dinette in the slide. I have done a fair amount of research here and on the net and would generally say that most people are happy with the Forest River product and the 233s in particular. It seems to be a very popular unit. I have looked online at dealer prices and have gotten quotes from RVW and RV Direct. RV Direct by far giving the best deal. It would seem as though people are happy with RV Direct. Any thoughts or guidance on both the unit and purchasing from RV Direct? Anyone finance with them and how was that? We have had many great trips in our popup (02 Coleman Niagara) and I will always have those memories but our kids are getting older and I am sort of tired of all the work of the popup plus it is getting older. We shoot for thirty days a year in the camper and would like to start taking the big trips out west and the 23s would make those trips much easier. This is a great forum and thanks for any input. Just shut up and go kampin!

Ken
2015 Rockwood Roo 233s, (so Sweet)

Life's Short, Just Camp
mkcom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Site Team

i want to suggest giving House of Camping in the Chicago area.
they beat RVW and RVDirect's prices and are a great family-run dealership.

ask for George and tell him Dan from California, said hi!
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

to the forums. We did the same thing years ago. We had a 1999 Coleman Bayside and enjoyed it very much. But with 3 growing daughters it became a bit cramped so we traded it in for a Keystone 233s Hybrid in 2001. It was very nice and as you said the set-up time was reduced and we had more room and a bathroom. We kept it for over 5 years when we made our last upgrade.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:11 AM   #4

Welcome to the site, we had a 1993 Coleman Pop-Up years ago, then moved to a hybrid, and now a TT. Hope you have years of enjoyment with what you decide.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #5

Welcome!! We traded our Fleetwood Sea Pine in for our Roo 233s. I also looked at the Coyote but didn't like how the sink was next to the bed; I have little boys who would love to play in the sink while the rest of us sleep. So we went with the 233s and very glad we did.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #6

thanks

Thanks to all that have replied. I will look into House of camping but when I went online their prices seemed to be hi. That could just be online and perhaps more investigation is required, at any rate I will look into it. First things first, anyone interested in a 02 Niagara? Ken
2015 Rockwood Roo 233s, (so Sweet)

Life's Short, Just Camp
mkcom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #7

I purchased my Forest River from Couch's RV Nation and had a pretty good experience. I had it delivered and still beat local prices by thousands. TravelTrailers, 5th Wheels & Toy Haulers by Forest River | Camper & RV Sales - Jeff Couch's RV Nation

We also moved from a popup to a TT (not a hybrid though). As much as I enjoyed the popup the TT is a lot nicer with the family now. But the popup was a lot easier to get around. We bought in the winter during a sale and got a great price... Spring is about the worst time to buy. Fall/Winter they don't want to keep them over the season on the lot.
brianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #8

You'll enjoy the move up - we moved from a pop up to a TT and not sure it's as 'camping' feeling as before it's a lot more 'vacation' than before!

As for where to buy...we bought local and are proud of it. I'm not sure we paid more based on internet pricing and factoring in delivery costs and our time. And I know that my money will stay local to help the our economy, and keep myself and my wife employed and my friends and relative working. YMMV.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:15 AM   #9

We made the move up this year into a Roo 23ss. Purchased from RVW but financed through a local credit union at 5.24%. A shorter loan but if you can make that higher principal payment you save a ton on interest.
Namthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #10

Welcome to the forum. We started out tent camping, got a pup, traded up to a 30 foot Featherlite. We had an accident, totalled it and sort of downsized in length to the 233S. However, the 233S with its 3 queen beds and the dinette in the slide actually has more room, although less counter top space than our Featherlite. We are still the kind of campers where the trailer is for sleeping more than anything else as we dont hang out at the camper very much so for us this was an excellent move.

We have camped in it once back in April and really liked it. My wife has some back issues and her back never hurt while sleeping on the beds which is a good thing.

We bought ours from Fla and did not finance it, cant help you with either of the last questions. Good luck and enjoy it.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:38 AM   #11

welcome to the forum,
your switch isn't big at all. We just went from a tent to a Rockwood 8293RKSS wich measures out at just over 32'.
As for pricing I sugest you check into http://www.roskopfsrv.com/2601.html

They are just up the road a bit in Menomonee falls WI. what we did was sent t a blanket e-mail to all the dealers near us stating exactly what we wanted and asked or their best price and why I should buy it from them. I sent one e-mail to all the dealers so they all could see who it was sent to and also mentioned that I was looking at RV direct and RV wholesale. Of the 4 dealerships and 2 online sellers Roskops was lowest by nearly 2K. Couple this savings along with a dealer who cares about a customer.
We were at the Milwaukee RV show doing our paperwork and about 30 people stopped to say Hi to Gary as we were working on the deal. This showed me that he has a good reputation truly does care about his customers.
here is his response to my price request:
Hey John,
Thanks for your interest in Rockwood travel trailers and especially in the 8293RKSS floorplan. At this time I do not have this model in stock, but we can order it out. Sale price will be $XX,XXX.00.
Why buy from us, 4 RVDA certified techs, 8 bay service dept., fully stocked parts store(which as a customer you will receive a discount on parts), upon pick-up of your new trailer there will be no extra costs for items like a battery, filling the LP tanks, sewer hose or electrical adapter. Also you are dealing directly with the manager(no sales people, no false promises)Gary Roskopf(Roskopf's RV)
So, if you can swing the drive check them out and tell Gary the Hechels reccomended them to you.