Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #1

Front Bunk Door Issue

We have a 2013 233S purchased last April, since purchasing it has had the front bunk door replaced twice. What is happening is after use when we close it up on the bottom right corner of the door, around the rivet, the metal frame that runs around the door begins to buck and the paint begins to separate and peel off. I take it to the dealer and they get right on the phone with Forest River, the first door they replaced right away thinking it was just a bad door. We picked it up and left the next week for a two week trip to Disney, as soon as I closed it up to leave the campground there it was again, in the same spot on a new door. Right back to the dealer ship we went. Again they were all over it, Northgate RV in Ringgold, GA, awesome guys, this time Forest River wanted to try just painting it, they tried it, never even called me to come get it, it didn't work on the lot. Then they wanted them to try painting it and running caulk around the rivet, I took one look at this and said NO! They agreed and was right back on the phone with Forest River. They scratched their heads for a month or so and decided to send another door. Now, haven't had a chance to use it yet but I was wondering if anyone else has run into this, the dealer said they are getting the feeling from Forest River that this is an isolated deal, if that's so I really don't see how another new door is going to fix it. If it does it again, I will contact Forest River myself but any ideas or thoughts would be apprecieated. We really love this camper and other than the front bunk have had no issues or complaints. Thanks again for the help.
BoldenCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Are there any pictures you can post that would provide an example? A Before and After would be good to see.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #3

I don't have any with me, but my dealer ship has them on file as well as the old door so I am planning on going by there Friday and will see if I can get some then to post. But like i said, if you are facing the camper, it would be the bottom right corner, where the box frame connects and there is a welded seam and to the left of the seam is a pop rivet and the metal framing around the door will buck away from the door panel and the paint around the rivet will bust like a blister and start to peel away. To me, it seems as if the door is getting in a bind when being used.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Site Team

the bunk door frame could have been installed off.
i'd have the dealer take the door frame out also and check measurements.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #5

This is the second door, third if you count the original, these new ones are all one piece, new tent, cables hinge, door the whole end comes out and they literaly just sit the new one in
Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #6

Pics from Door Number 3

Well we stayed at "camp driveway" this weekend to tryout door number 3, Fri and Sat nights, closed up on Sunday and the same results as the 2 previous doors. Any ideas, I have already taken it back to the dealer and they have taken pics again and are doing a video to send to FR and are going to inform them tha I wish to speak to them this time. Thanks for any advice/ideas on what could be causing this. We have had the camper about 10 mos and it has been at the dealer for at least 5 of those with the same repeated problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-25 12.32.45.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	24806   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-25 12.32.57.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	24807   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-25 12.33.09.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	24808   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-25 12.43.14.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	24809  
Old 02-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Missing Link

Looks like it is catching the frame/hinge when folded up.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #8

I should have stated this before, but you can actually see it do this when the bunk is open, doesn't seem to be an issue when it's closed. And it won't occur until we actually sleep on it and put load onto it.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #9

Ok, spoke with Roger at Forest River today, they are going to try one more door. This one supposedly has a double sided adhesvie of some sort that they have started placing between the door hinge and the bunk door frame to help strengthen it. Not sure if this will take care of it but told him we'd give it a shot, if it doesn't fix it, they are going to come get it. He said they would go ahead and come get it now if I wanted but since it is their busy season it would be 2 - 3 months before we got it back. At least this way we may get to use it a little. They said to inspect the other two remaining bunk ends and see if they need to be replaced as well but they have only seen this occur on the front bunk and a one time door replacment usually takes care of it, this will be door number 4.

Wish us luck.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #10

So how did door number 4 work for you and did you ever see this on your side or rear door?
jdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #11

Update, just got back from a week long trip about a week ago, so far all seems well with new front door. Basically all they did was take the plastic corner covers that are on the top of the side and back bunk doors (when closed) and placed them on the bottom of the front. So far seems to be working. To answer your other question Jdubs, no the back nor the side door have had this problem, however, that being said I have noticed now that if the back bunk is open and it comes a pretty good rain, I can leave it open a couple of days to dry and when I close it up there is a significant amount of water that runs out of the door, I am going by the dealer on Friday to talk with them about this, I am worried it is getting trapped inside the door and is going to rot out the bunk. Anyone else had this happen.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #12

I had this issue to with the rain pouring out but it was on the front door, the back door did a little last time I closed it but it did rain while we were at camp but still no water should be pouring out of it I would assume. It was a ton of water not just drips :/
urocav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock