Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #61
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid 233T View Post

Very true! Looks kinda like plant mars. This is what my son thinks. He's a mini young comedian! Thinks everything is funny. :0)
I am with him on that! My fav thing to do while traveling there was to try a bison burger wherever I could find them! Wow is that some good eatin! Like going to the coast and eating all the best fresh fish you can! Yum!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post

I am with him on that! My fav thing to do while traveling there was to try a bison burger wherever I could find them! Wow is that some good eatin! Like going to the coast and eating all the best fresh fish you can! Yum!
Hummmm! A bison burger! Sounds interesting! Does the meat have a wild taste? Sometime dear meat taste this way to me. Is it fatty and oily like beef? Sometimes it taste good other times not so good.
Hybrid 233T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #63
Site Team

Quote:
Hummmm! A bison burger! Sounds interesting! Does the meat have a wild taste? Sometime dear meat taste this way to me. Is it fatty and oily like beef? Sometimes it taste good other times not so good.
Our experience is they are much like lean beef.
Try a bison steak on the grill one day!
Very little drip or flair up. Don't over cook it!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #64
Phat Phrog

Quote:

No actually it doesn't taste wild. You will be pleasantly surprised! Nothing like deer, and I love venison. We mix a little beef with the venison when we make burgers because it does add just a little fat and will mellow that flavor you are thinking of! You really do have to learn how to cook it but it is very healthy because it so so low on fat and high on protein.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #65

Stop at the Missouri River rest area. they have a very good exhibit on the Lewis and Clark travels through the area. very informative. I don`t believe there is much to see until you get into eastern SD. and even then it is very flat. once you get near the Missouri River then it becomes scenic. take a drive through the Badlands and take your time at the pullouts to get some great views and pictures! and the Black Hills, well you shouldn`t need help finding anything there! make sure you do the Needles HWY/Iron Mountain Road scenic drive, this IMO is the best drive in the Hills!

Have fun!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Stop at the Missouri River rest area. they have a very good exhibit on the Lewis and Clark travels through the area. very informative. I don`t believe there is much to see until you get into eastern SD. and even then it is very flat. once you get near the Missouri River then it becomes scenic. take a drive through the Badlands and take your time at the pullouts to get some great views and pictures! and the Black Hills, well you shouldn`t need help finding anything there! make sure you do the Needles HWY/Iron Mountain Road scenic drive, this IMO is the best drive in the Hills!

Have fun!
The Lewis and Clark exhibit sounds great! We differently have plans on driving through the Badlands. I just hope it's not to hot in June.
Hybrid 233T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #67

How was the Rushmore KOA? Where going for July 4th week and have never been there?
JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #68
Wanna Be Camper

Palmer Gulch KOA Resort is very nice. They have horse back riding, ATV rentals, a restraunt, pizzia place, 2 pools and it is situated on the back side of MT RUshmore probably less than 10 min from the heads. It is a great base to travel from for sight seeing in the area as well. We stayed there for a week 2 years ago and would go back in a heartbeat.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #69

Thanks, we're real excited for the trip. Looks great on paper, so it's nice to hear from others.
JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #70

The BH`s, Badlands trip is IMO the best trip for people with kids under 10. I plan on going to Yellowstone in a few years, the kids will be around 14, so they will be able to appreciate the area more!

Have a great trip!

Old 04-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #71
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
make sure you do the Needles HWY/Iron Mountain Road scenic drive, this IMO is the best drive in the Hills!

Have fun!
The DW provided some very interesting commentary as we drove that road with her fingers firmly implanted in the dash. Was pretty funny IMO of course she saw it a bit differently.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #72
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post

The DW provided some very interesting commentary as we drove that road with her fingers firmly implanted in the dash. Was pretty funny IMO of course she saw it a bit differently.
We did that ride on Harley's ...... I video taped the entire ride!!! That was the only way I could keep from freaking out! It was great!!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #73

She thinks that was bad! See how she does on the Going To The Sun Road!!!! My wife didn't like that drive very much, except for the scenery, which of course is why she was scared to death!

Old 04-20-2013, 04:16 AM   #74

We're booked in at the Rush-no-more RV resort for a week over July 4th, has anyone been there? Looking forward to driving down from Winnipeg, through ND, 3 weeks on the road. We haven't even seen our TT yet this year, still under snow, and forecast is for another few inches tomorrow!!
Winnipegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #75
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
We're booked in at the Rush-no-more RV resort for a week over July 4th, has anyone been there? Looking forward to driving down from Winnipeg, through ND, 3 weeks on the road. We haven't even seen our TT yet this year, still under snow, and forecast is for another few inches tomorrow!!
We stayed at the Mount Rushmore KOA...was great!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #76
Director, FROG

Depending on where you're going to be in ND, you might want to check out The Enchanted Highway running south from I-94 near Regent. It has about 20 miles of huge whimsical sculptures, and is well worth the side trip, IMHO.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote