Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #1

Smile Hybrid Beds

We have a Surveyor Hybrid that we just love. Had it since April and used it every month. The problem we have is the manufacturers planning of using velcro to try and keep kids in . Three times now we have lost two kids and one dog out the side of the trailer. The velcro gives while they may lean against it while sleeping.Nothing wakes up a campground like a screaming,hurt kid at three in the morning because they fell out of the trailer. The ends of the bunks are fine because they have elastic bungees from end to end. We are now currently draping an extra sheet over the metal bars that hold up the vinyl and then tucking it under the width of the mattress. So using the window is not an option.Short of purchasing those little fences that you put under kids beds so they don't roll out. If anyone has any ideas or mods that work and aren't too heavy it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
3 kids,5 grandkidsand Whisper the dog
Days camped in 2011-30 and it's not over !
WhispersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry to hear about the kids' falls.

I don't have your trailer and I'm not sure of your bungee/Velcro ystem, so I'll just describe the system we have on our Shamrock/Roo. We've never lost a kid out the side or end on our trips.

Our current trailer is a Shamrock 233S. There are five snaps across the end of each bunk. The sides of each bunk are closed by bungee cords connecting one side to the other. There is a "child guard" flap that goes under the mattress and attaches with Velcro to the top of the bunk wood on both sides, although I usually forget to do that.

Bottom line is that there is no way that anyone is going to fall out the sides or ends with this setup.

You might consider reinforcing the Velcro with some product like this.

Also, do you think there is too much slack in your canvas?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #3

We had that set up in our tent trailer, Palimino yearling. Our canvas/vinyl is fine. The velcro is very sticky still it just needs some kind of second support to avoid it ripping off. The grandkids only weight 30-40 pounds, it should be able to withstand a bit of leaning.
3 kids,5 grandkidsand Whisper the dog
Days camped in 2011-30 and it's not over !
WhispersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #4

I have used the Industrial Strength 2" Velcro purchased from HD for several other projects and it almost works too well. Maybe you could upgrade the Velcro to prevent the falls.
electrician549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #5

We have the same system as Triguy and we haven't lost anyone out of the sides yet. The velcro hasn't come undone at all unless we're closing it up.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, beds, velcro