Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #1

Nothing working in the surveyor 191T

Just bought this trailer and pulled it home and set it up in my driveway about 4 days ago. All the lights and everything was working until today and now the whole thing is dead. We've barely run anything, just given a few friends a tour. So we've had lights on for maybe half an hour in total for the last four days. Went out there just now...nada. Can a battery run down that fast and with that little use? And, if so, how do we charge it?
Any help appreciated.

Signed,
Confused in Kentucky
Suzanne Camps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Yes
There are several things that are always on ( parasitic draws) that don't draw much but enough to kill a battery in about a week. If you are going to store the new toy for more than a few days, you need to do one of the following.

1. Keep it plugged into shore power ( 110VAC)
2. Disconnect the battery by either removing the ground wire or have a disconnect switch added.
3. If you have 110VAC available you can add a battery tender or CTEK maintainer to keep the battery charged.
4. Add solar panel and controller if you have access to sun.

Number 2 is easy and quick, Number 3 and 4 are good longer term solutions.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Camps View Post
Just bought this trailer and pulled it home and set it up in my driveway about 4 days ago. All the lights and everything was working until today and now the whole thing is dead. We've barely run anything, just given a few friends a tour. So we've had lights on for maybe half an hour in total for the last four days. Went out there just now...nada. Can a battery run down that fast and with that little use? And, if so, how do we charge it?
Any help appreciated.

Signed,
Confused in Kentucky
You don't want to allow your battery to discharge too much or you can ruin or shorten it's life.

Your RV has a built in converter, which is also a battery charger. For now, You just need to plug into 120 volt AC shore power to power the converter (and thus charge your battery). You may have an adapter that will allow you to plug your RV into a household outlet at home.

These links may help you understand:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:53 PM   #4

Thank you so much for this quick feedback!
So, apparently, it's actually dangerous to drain the battery to zero. We had no idea about the less obvious drains and thought we had it buttoned down. One last not very smart question: how to you charge the thing back? I have one of those plug in chargers for cars that plugs in? Can we hook the paddles on that thing to the ports on the camper battery?
Old 04-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you so much for this quick feedback!
So, apparently, it's actually dangerous to drain the battery to zero. We had no idea about the less obvious drains and thought we had it buttoned down. One last not very smart question: how to you charge the thing back? I have one of those plug in chargers for cars that plugs in? Can we hook the paddles on that thing to the ports on the camper battery?
The batteries are really explained in the 12 volt side of life link.

I see you are a newer RV owner and welcome to the family.

The below is a copy and paste of useful information, and I usually recommend it to those just starting out. Some of it, you may already know, or may not be applicable to your particular RV. You will be able to filter out what pertains to your situation or not. I would suggest you read the electric threads and energy management first, and then the converter thread. This will help explain your different electrical systems of your RV, and how they operate...as well as what the converter does. The very first link will explain what operates off what system.

You can just peruse at your leisure as you get to know your RV:

Basic electric:

RV Electric

Your very important converter:

Converter or Inverter (they are different)

Installing a dedicated 30 amp RV outlet at home (Make sure you understand it's 120 volts ONLY):

How to wire a RV 30 amp outlet

12 volt DC:

12 Volt DC Circuit Breaker with Manual Reset

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Suburban water heater (if applicable to your RV):

Suburban's electric switch and much more

Suburban Water Heater Video Guides

Water Heater bypass/crossover valves:

NO (OR LUKEWARM) HOT WATER -Please read first

And the newest additions to help understand what constitutes a true full cylinder in refilling vs exchanging propane cylinders... as well as how the automatic propane changeover regulator works:

Propane Cylinders (Refilling vs Exchanging)

Propane automatic changeover regulator

Inverters and residential refrigerators in RV's:

http://rveducation101.com/articles/rvinverters.pdf

Hope it helps
Bobby

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #6

do you have the simple common adaptor to change your 30 amp rv plug to a standard house hould plug? that is the easiest way to keep your battery charged while not using camper. Yes you can hook your charger to the battery terminals just make sure its a smart charger and don't over charge.

The responses from the site team were complete and spot on.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Any help appreciated.

Signed,
Confused in Kentucky

Sorry to hear you are having problems,

I would call the dealer and ask for a proper PDI so you know how everything works. Who was the dealer so we know to avoid them.

A PDI Is a Pre Delivery Inspection where they are suppose to show you how to work the systems in your trailer.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #8

The did give us a VERY quick demo. We bought it at mid-state RV near Macon, Georgia. While they mentioned disconnecting the battery if we were "going to store it", I took this to mean like storing over the winter. It didn't occur to me the thing would die inside of a week. But I now understand this is to be expected because of drains on the battery that aren't obvious.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:01 AM   #9

Nothing working in the surveyor 191T

I would guess your battery was barely charged when you picked up your camper, you can run a heavy duty extension cord from your house or garage and use an adapter so it will plug into your regular extension cord.

Once you plug in your camper to the house, your built in charger will charge your battery and keep it charged.

Here is a link to one, sometimes Walmart has some in store.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-PowerGr...cmL&ref=plSrch
Old 06-10-2018, 06:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The batteries are really explained in the 12 volt side of life link.

I see you are a newer RV owner and welcome to the family.

The below is a copy and paste of useful information, and I usually recommend it to those just starting out. Some of it, you may already know, or may not be applicable to your particular RV. You will be able to filter out what pertains to your situation or not. I would suggest you read the electric threads and energy management first, and then the converter thread. This will help explain your different electrical systems of your RV, and how they operate...as well as what the converter does. The very first link will explain what operates off what system.

You can just peruse at your leisure as you get to know your RV:

Basic electric:

RV Electric

Your very important converter:

Converter or Inverter (they are different)

Installing a dedicated 30 amp RV outlet at home (Make sure you understand it's 120 volts ONLY):

How to wire a RV 30 amp outlet

12 volt DC:

12 Volt DC Circuit Breaker with Manual Reset

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Suburban water heater (if applicable to your RV):

Suburban's electric switch and much more

Suburban Water Heater Video Guides

Water Heater bypass/crossover valves:

NO (OR LUKEWARM) HOT WATER -Please read first

And the newest additions to help understand what constitutes a true full cylinder in refilling vs exchanging propane cylinders... as well as how the automatic propane changeover regulator works:

Propane Cylinders (Refilling vs Exchanging)

Propane automatic changeover regulator

Inverters and residential refrigerators in RV's:

http://rveducation101.com/articles/rvinverters.pdf

Hope it helps
Bobby
Too bad you can't make this a terms of use agreement before joining the Forum. It would be helpful for as to say "You may find your answer in the terms of use"
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor