Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2017, 07:01 AM   #1

PDI

I'm new to this forum and new to forums in general. Pardon any newbie mistakes. We just bought a 2018, 243RBS. We are picking it up and doing our PDI on Monday. Is there anything specific that we should look at or ask about.

We've camped all our lives but have had a hiatus the last 7 yrs from it. We've had a couple older TV's but this is our first brand new RV.

Thanks in advance for any info.
bgoakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:08 AM   #2
Insert witty title here

Ask absolutely anything you can think of. Go over every square inch, flip every switch, turn every knob and pull every lever. If there is anything you are unclear on, ask. Make them show you everything.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #3

If you've got a smartphone use it for pictures and video of items checked that are tedious and have sequences that must be followed.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:27 AM   #4
Professional Curmudgeon

I don't know of any dealership that wants to hook water up to the camper, but you should put water in the tank and run the pump. If it cycles on and off without turning on a faucet, you have a leak somewhere.
Also check air pressure in the tires. I just bought a camper from a very reputable dealer, but they forgot to check the tire pressure. It happens.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Ask absolutely anything you can think of. Go over every square inch, flip every switch, turn every knob and pull every lever. If there is anything you are unclear on, ask. Make them show you everything.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If you've got a smartphone use it for pictures and video of items checked that are tedious and have sequences that must be followed.
I do and will do. Some of the reading I've done on this forum, there seems to be a common topic on hidden shutoff/bypass valves that usually entail using tools to get to.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I don't know of any dealership that wants to hook water up to the camper, but you should put water in the tank and run the pump. If it cycles on and off without turning on a faucet, you have a leak somewhere.
Also check air pressure in the tires. I just bought a camper from a very reputable dealer, but they forgot to check the tire pressure. It happens.
Got it. Never even thought of the tires.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #8

The main thing is to make them repair anything that you are not happy with before you sign any papers or any money changes hands. Once you sign and leave it is yours. Do Not be rushed a good thorough PDI will take several hours.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #9
Site Team

Welcome
Go to the library section and print out a delivery check list. Take your time and go over everything. Use your phone to video anything you think you might forget later on. If there are any major items ( aka things you are not comfortable fixing yourself) that need repair, do not sign paperwork until they are done. The dealer wants their money and will get them repaired quickly. Don't accept " Take it now and bring it back in a few weeks to have repairs made". Once they have been paid, many dealers will put you at the bottom of the list. Don't let your emotions cloud your decision process at delivery. It is better to have your TT sit at the dealer for an extra week now than a month or two during the summer. Wal Mart and amazon are your friend when buying supplies. Make sure you have a way to take notes as you will find many things you will think you need on the first few trips. If you can driveway camp for a night. This will not only give you practice using equipment, but you have a back up in case you really need something. Most of all you are buying this to have fun. Don't let a few minor issues spoil that.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #10

Here is a PDI check list.....

RV Inspection Checklist
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
The main thing is to make them repair anything that you are not happy with before you sign any papers or any money changes hands. Once you sign and leave it is yours. Do Not be rushed a good thorough PDI will take several hours.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post

RV Inspection Checklist
Thank you. I will be printing this out and taking it with us for sure.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Welcome
Go to the library section and print out a delivery check list. Take your time and go over everything. Use your phone to video anything you think you might forget later on. If there are any major items ( aka things you are not comfortable fixing yourself) that need repair, do not sign paperwork until they are done. The dealer wants their money and will get them repaired quickly. Don't accept " Take it now and bring it back in a few weeks to have repairs made". Once they have been paid, many dealers will put you at the bottom of the list. Don't let your emotions cloud your decision process at delivery. It is better to have your TT sit at the dealer for an extra week now than a month or two during the summer. Wal Mart and amazon are your friend when buying supplies. Make sure you have a way to take notes as you will find many things you will think you need on the first few trips. If you can driveway camp for a night. This will not only give you practice using equipment, but you have a back up in case you really need something. Most of all you are buying this to have fun. Don't let a few minor issues spoil that.
Thank you very much for the info.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post

RV Inspection Checklist
Thank you very much. I will definitely print this out and take it with me.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:37 PM   #15

We took the checklist with us today and it went great. The person doing the walk through with us did not mind at all, and it helped us stay on track with making sure we covered everything. Hope you love your new trailer!
2018 Wildwood X-Lite T282QBXL
2005 Ford E-350 XLT
2017 Ford Expedition EL XLT
MarinesWife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdi