Old 05-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #1

Removing Bunks and building Queen Bed in Surveyor SV261T

We've had our 2004 Surveyor SV361T for right at a year now, I've found most of the little quirks and pretty much settled on my likes and dislikes. My major dislike is the "hybrid" function, the canvas pop out makes heating and cooling the camper a nightmare and the queen bed just plain sucks. We've had one person sleep on one of the bunk beds in the back and he said it was terrible. I'm seriously thinking about taking the bunk beds out and building a base for a queen mattress with storage under it and a couple of wardrobe closets on each side of the bed and some other storage in that area. I can imagine some would say I should just trade in for a different model camper, truth is I pretty much like everything about this camper except the pop out bed, it fits our family just fine, tows great, and the best part is it's paid for...
I don't' really want another payment right now and I figured I can do the bedroom conversion for about $400-$500. I will have more storage and still be able to sleep all the people I would ever have the need to. I have one daughter and if she ever has friends camping with us there will still be the dinette, couch, and the queen pop out bed, if necessary. Any thoughts, ideas, etc before I finish talking myself into it?

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #2

Do it !!!

You need to use light wood to keep the weight more or less where it was though. Good luck !

Old 05-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #3

I'm thinking of using 2"x2" to make a frame and 1\4" sanded plywood panels on the outside of the frame and 1\2" sanded plywood as the mattress base. I looked at the bed in my grandparents camper and pretty much copied that design with the gas shocks to lift the mattress up to have storage under the bed. I'm going to reuse as much of the bunk and cabinet material as possible to keep the original look.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
Old 05-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

just a question about your issues heating and cooling.

don't you use Popup Gizmos or the generic solar blankets? nearly everyone that does, has significant improvements in temp control with their canvas ends.
Reflectix in the windows offer even more assistance.
plus the PUGs keep the canvas clean and also help cut condensation down to almost nothing.
PUGs are the #1 mod for Hybrids.
and since you only have the one canvas end, i believe, then using a PUG will help even more than a hybrid with 2 or 3 canvas bunk ends.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #5

I've thought about buying a PUG but it's just one more thing to have to setup after folding out the bed. The fold out bed is terrible anyway and we only use the bunks for storage because no one wants to sleep on them. I've looked at some new Surveyors today and I may be talking myself into a new trailer anyway and just trade mine in.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada