Old 06-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #1

Surveyor SV261T

Anyone else own one of these? Just curious if you had any leaking around the back door in the bunk area? Any other things I should know about this camper?

Old 06-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #2

We have a 2004 model SV261T that we purchased last year (spring 2011). Just took our first trip of this 2nd season. It tows fairly well behind our 2006 V8 Mountaineer. Embarrassed to say I haven't had it weighed yet, but I know it must be less than 5000 loaded, and I have 7000 lbs tow rating.

We bought it fairly certain that there had been repaired water damage. From the looks of things, they fixed the original problem, but only masked some of the cosmetic issues, the biggest being carpeting over the original flooring. WE just pulled the carpet, will repair a soft spot that we know of, and plan to put down some 12" square peel-n-stick.

But as far as leaks in the bunk area, I have no signs of water past or present. I've never had moisture anywhere in the camper for that matter. And that's after a winter at Camping World in Cleveland (where we bought it), and another winter here in Michigan. It's seen plenty of rain uncovered last year from March thru November. The original flooring is still uncovered in the bathroom, front pass-thru, and the little rear cabinets under the bunks. No signs of water anywhere. Only signs of water were in the middle from something since repaired.

It's a layout that you will not find anywhere anymore, certainly not in this "Super-light" weight range. Anything with this many beds will by 32+ feet, and another 1000 lbs or more.

Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #3

Mine is also a 2004, it tows really well with my Silverado, mine still has the original flooring and there is a soft spot in the back where it has leaked. I'm going to pulled up the old flooring and replace it with something, haven't decided what yet. Since it is so light I was contemplating some kind of lightweight laminate flooring like Pergo.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #4

I think you and I should keep talking!
After pulling the carpet, we only have 1 spot that I would call "soft" (sinks down when you stop on it). But there are other areas (including part of the bunkhouse now that we have a better look) where the original flooring is no longer adhearing to the subfloor. It's "bubbling". This, and the high amounts of wear is probably why they put carpeting throughout. We suspect that we will have a significant amount of subfloor to replace. Unfortuantely, we already started the job, and now we have to finish before our 2 week trip in late July.

My wife did a lot of browsing online yesterday, and found that the laminate flooring is not what you want, considering the high amount of temperature and humidity fluctuation. So far, we have found lots of recommendations for "floating vinyl", with a good urethane coating for high-traffic. These have strong adhesive tabs to lock the pieces together, but they do not use any adhesive to the floor itself (hence "floating"). We found a blog where a couple redid their motorhome with such material and was very happy with it. They were going to use an interlocking laminate, but a home-improvement store guy steered them into this instead. Recommneded they caulk the entire perimeter to the wall so that spills can't get underneath to the subfloor.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #5

I also have a 2004, 255. My flooring is bubbling from the subfloor at my entrance towards the bathroom and towards the rear.
Brakeman you are not going to go with the peel and stick now? When I get back from my trip in a week I was going to pull up the laminate and see how bad my subfloor is, I'm just hoping that like you said the laminate just pulled away due to heat and humidity and the subfloor is solid ( its feels like it is, fingers crossed) and use the peel and stick tiles To replace
Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #6

I'll look into that peel and stick, I just know the flooring in there now looks like crap and it's stained in a couple of places where it has bubbled up. My grand parents 5th wheel has some kind of laminate wood in the kitchen that looked really nice which is why I was thinking of going that route.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #7

My recommendations should really be just information, as it's all 2nd/3rd-hand, and I haven't actually seen any of my subfloor yet. Well, only a small bit by the entrance.
The entrace definitely had water. We've pulled that back, the wood is dark and a bit spongy, and the threshold screws came out with basically pulp in the threads. Across from the entrance/sofa, right at the dinette seat (which houses the fresh water tank), we noticed a soft spot before we bought. Now in our second season, that spot has grown larger. Now with the carpet removed, the "softness" seems even larger, maybe 3 sq-ft. I do not know if this is due to moisture, or simply cheap luan/styrofoam breaking down. Finally, in the rear bunk area (now with the carpet removed), the underfloor feels solid, but the flooring is no longer adhered to the subfloor...I guess that's what we're calling "bubbled", on about 1/4 of the bunkhouse.

We have a 2-week trip coming up, leaving July 21st. Since I do not trust a dealer to have my camper back in time, and I do not know the extent of the work required to do ourselves, we have decided to clean off the adhesive on the old lino. floor, and leave things as is until camping season is over. I'll probably take the camper to a dealer or 2, just to get some quotes. If someone's shop is empty, and they seem hungry for business, and the quote is too good to pass on, we might pull the trigger. Otherwise, we will do this job in the fall before we tuck it away for the winter.

I'll keep this thread updated with whatever I find. Please do the same.
Thanks, guys!
Old 09-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #8

I have a 2004 SV261T that we bought new. I am in the process of doing a little make-over. New awning, refresh sun damaged decals, re-seal the roof. The front panel that folds out has some separation in the exterior between the skin and insulation. Any thoughts on repair? inject ahesive, etc.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #9

The back corner of my Surveyor has skin separating from the frame as well, not sure how to fix it other than break the seal and inject some adhesive as you suggested. I've got a soft spot under the window at the dinette, I'm about to take the dinette and couch out and fix the floor and have the dinette cushions and couch reupholstered. THe wife wants to change up the color scheme inside the camper.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote