Old 02-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

Tailgater

We are going to buy a Dish Tailgater system before camping season starts. Can someone tell me how you hook it up? Does the tailgater plug in where the cable tv comes into the camper?

Thanks - Beth

Old 02-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #2

I have the tailgater, you have to run a coax from the dish directly to the receiver either purchased or brought from home. We bring our VIP211k (the only receiver that works) from home. It's pretty easy to set up, put the dish somewhere with a good view of the right satellites, run you cable to the receiver and power up the receiver. It will prompt you for a state you are in and go to work by itself pulling in the signal. I have a app for my phone for looking at satellites, which helps as well.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #3

So, you have to run the cable through a window to the receiver? Is the app a dish app? Thanks so much...
Old 02-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeyes View Post
So, you have to run the cable through a window to the receiver? Is the app a dish app? Thanks so much...
I can't help you with how your particular trailer is set up for satellite but I do know about the dish tailgater.

You only need to point the tailgater to a unobstructed view of the southern sky and the tailgater will automatically lock onto the satellites. You don't need an app.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Do you have a sat connection on the outside of your camper? Or just cable?
Or both?
Year make and model of camper would help.

Turbs
Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #6

Quote:
I ran a line from where I keep my receiver to the front storage bin and installed a residential wall plate. I hook my outside coax to the wall plate and it sticks out of the door. I can still shut and lock the door and it works for me, your results my vary!
No you don't NEED the app, buts it free and helps at least get an idea if there's a big tree or something in the way. Again, it's up to you.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #7

We have the Tailgater and also take the receiver from the house. Our Sunseeker has a separate input for satellite and another for cable, so we can have both at the same time if the campground has cable hookups.

The only real issue is that if you want local channels, you have to contact dish and get them to change your address to where you are camping at the time. We never bother with that since we haven't spent much time in the same campground. That will change when we retire and take things a little slower.

So far, I have been pleased with the Tailgater. There have been a couple of times that the trees were "obstructing" the view or the weather was so rainy and cloudy that we were not able to get any satellite reception. Most of the time, it works like a charm and is easy to use.

stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #8

We love our tailgater. Easy to use, and stow away in the 5th. We have the sat connectors in the docking station of our Sanibel.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #9

Well, the camper is in winter storage, but it is a 2013 and I think maybe it does have a sat connection. Not sure.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

IF it does have an actual sat coax connection on the exterior then the tailgater coax will hook to that.
Then theres another "sat" coax connection inside by main tv. cable from there goes to your receiver then to your tv.

What I did since I use a receiver that has uhf is put my receiver in the basement since receiver does not need to "see" remote to change channels and such.

MINE is wired like this
Dish or in your case dome coax goes to sat connection on camper then I have a short cable to my reciever .
Then a cable from receiver to coax cable that goes up to tv wall socket.
Then a cable from there to tv.

clear as mud ?

turbs