Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #1

Water damage

I have a 04 Surveyor. This summer we started to nice a soft spot in the floor near the front bed area. I pulled the linoleum and found we spots all along the outside perimeter of the floor-on all sides. Looking for suggestions as its a much bigger issue than I anticipated.
04SurveyorOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #2

put it back together and trade it in for a new unit.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #3

Hopefully someone who has more experiance with floor replacement will come along and offer thier suggestions. Do you know what caused the issue? I would work on that first. What model Surveryor do you have?
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #4

SV190T. Hybrid
Old 09-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #5

I hate to give this advice. But I encountered the same issue. Trade it in before the floors degrade any further. Once they do, the camper will be nearly worthless other than for parts.

If your a brave soul who is good with tools and has a lot of time and patience...you can attempt to replace the floor. Be warned however, this is an endeavor. All furniture, cabinets, and nearby walls have to be removed to access the areas. Many people have encountered this and have succeeded in replacing flooring so it's not impossible. But it is a substantial amount of work.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
I hate to give this advice. But I encountered the same issue. Trade it in before the floors degrade any further. Once they do, the camper will be nearly worthless other than for parts.

If your a brave soul who is good with tools and has a lot of time and patience...you can attempt to replace the floor. Be warned however, this is an endeavor. All furniture, cabinets, and nearby walls have to be removed to access the areas. Many people have encountered this and have succeeded in replacing flooring so it's not impossible. But it is a substantial amount of work.
yup, waaaaay to much work for a 9 year old trailer unless that is your only option. Trade it asap.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #7

Just thinking if this unit is traded in, what are the chances of the dealership selling it "as is" to someone with out fixing it? When I first started looking for a unit we found one we liked but it had a very soft, mushy floor through out the whole 5ver. The dealer's salesman said this was the way the rig was made for comfort reasons. This was also a very well known, national RV sales, and service company. At the time I was pretty green about RVs, but not that green. I pulled up a corner of the linoleum, and it was swollen press board, with mold underneath. At some prior point, there had been severe water damage to this unit. As we were walking to our car the salesman was actually cussing me out, wanting me to pay for pulling up the linoleum.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
Just thinking if this unit is traded in what are the chances of the dealership selling it "as is" to someone with out fixing it? When I first started looking for a unit we found one we liked but it had a very soft, mushy floor through out the whole 5ver. The dealer's salesman said this was the way the rig was made for comfort reasons. This was also a very well known, national RV sales, and service company. At the time I was pretty green about RVs, but not that green. I pulled up a corner of the linoleum, and it was swollen press board, with mold underneath. At some prior point, there had been severe water damage to this unit. As we were walking to our car the salesman was actually cussing me out, wanting me to pay for pulling up the linoleum.
I'd have taken photos and told him to go ahead a file suit. I'd tell em how much I'd enjoy the funds from the counter suit in picking out my new rv.

Sorry to the OP for getting off topic.

2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Old 09-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #9

Depending on the extent there are wood hardeners that you can get at home improvement stores. Larger areas cut out and patch; locate the floor joists and cut along these seems. As another poster indicated this is a serious repair; expect to remove cabinets, etc.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #10

I've started the task of repairing the floor. Removed cabinets and isolated the area. Thanks for the advice. Will post more as it progresses.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:03 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SurveyorOwner View Post
I've started the task of repairing the floor. Removed cabinets and isolated the area. Thanks for the advice. Will post more as it progresses.
Good luck with your repairs and thanks for offering to report back. If not too much trouble, repair reports like this are great if you can also include pictures of what you are doing, etc. Not trying to create extra work for you, but it would be helpful to see.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #12

Good luck with your repair, and thanks for not just passing it on to the next poor soul.

bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #13

I'm impressed! I'm very interested in hearing you experience and how well everythinf turns out.

2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Old 09-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #14

There are several posts on here from user thebrakeman he has a 2004 Surveyor SV261T and has replaced about half the floor in the front of the unit. He had some really good photos and hows tos in his post.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water