Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #1

Ever get so angry that you just want to say KEEP IT at the service dept?

I have class "A" 29ss Coachmen Pursuit. Twice I couldn't get the levelers to retract and one time leaving my driveway the back right leveler dragged on the driveway pulling the rubber cushion off. To add to that as I pulled onto the road the levelers were doing something so I pulled off to the side. It seemed like the levelers were doing some kind of self-test. Lights on the control panel flashing and it sounded like the levelers where going up or down. This was while I was driving on the road. It is an intermittent problem! Twice not retracting, once self-test while driving, and one time the front right making popping noises (and a charge of $71.50 for can't duplicate the problem ") after we were level and was setting for a while. I made General RV Canton Ohio aware of the problems at the time. Now it is in there for service and their reply is: Ran the levelers up and down and can't duplicate the problem with a charge of $71.52 for Labor and $2.98 tech time for not retracting or self-tests on the road, while still under warranty. "Can't duplicate the problem " means they won't replace ANYTHING to make it better or eliminate the problem! Anyone want to take my unit on a trip knowing this can happen at any time?? TIM BUSS coachmen parts and customer satisfaction is the only reason I'm not saying "Just keep it". He listened to my problems, feels my concern. He is also taking action to help me. I have worked customer service phone lines myself and Tim is definitely the right person for that job!
ALSO to add insult to injury, this is the 4th time the unit is in for a rain water leak in the front of the slider multiple times last summer. We have stayed up at night replacing the paper towels in the drip pan, gave the service dept. pictures of water running across the floor and pictures of exactly where the water is dripping on the floor.
Their reply is: " Can't duplicate the problem " .
Think it will happen again??
dfriges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #2

In the last 6 months of traveling I have encountered at least a dozen people who were having leveler problems. Most of them were unable to get one or more legs to retract. Yours sounds even more of a problem.

Makes me wonder if automatic hydraulic leveling systems are really the convenience they were sold to be.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #3

Do you Big Foot jacks on There? If they are it's probably the board. That's not Coachmen but they should repair it, it's there Vendor, the leak is on them, are you sure it's the window? There probably soaking the window with a hose, water leaks are tough but I'm not defending them. It could be some other place and running down the path of least resistance. Are you still in Warranty? You might get more help from big foot, I would give them a call.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #4

Once in awhile my warning bell will go off when driving, I pull over and look but everything is okay, I'm sure mine is a fluke in the board. Other then that I have not had any problems at all with the big foot system. Good luck to you...

Old 03-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #5

Lippert

The levelers on my unit were manufacture by Lippert.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #6

For you water leaks do a pressure test. My leaks were from the front & rear lights on my TT. I had inspected them before & they looked sealed to me. The roof was OK but now I have some self doubt on inspecting for possible leaks.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfriges View Post
ALSO to add insult to injury, this is the 4th time the unit is in for a rain water leak in the front of the slider multiple times last summer. We have stayed up at night replacing the paper towels in the drip pan, gave the service dept. pictures of water running across the floor and pictures of exactly where the water is dripping on the floor.
Their reply is: " Can't duplicate the problem " .
Think it will happen again??
Happen again?.... likely. You're probably going to have to find that leak yourself, and it's probably not coming from the area you think. Sometimes those leaks come from the roof, run down the walls and come out in strange places.
In the meantime, I'd suggest putting a dehumidifier in the rig set to the highest setting and pull the leftover water out of the walls.
Good luck.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #8
Site Team

In my last RV leaking marker lights manifested themselves as a leaking window as water channeled from the leaking lights to the window cutout and then into the RV.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:00 PM   #9

I would find a different and independent service only shop......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #10

Try calling the manufacture directly. When I had an Itasca class a I had problems with my levelers ( back one would drop down 1/2"while driving and the front ones would pick the front up to full extension when leveling at camp!). After talking to Winnebago (dealer CW couldn't find the problem) they asked if I would be willing to talk to the manufacture. I said yes and they gave me a name and number. The person was great. Walked me through the entire resetting process while I was under the camper resetting each corner. (I think he spent an hour with me) Fixed my leveling problem. The back one that kept dropping down about 1/2 inch he said the best fix would be to replace it. He asked if I was comfortable changing the leveler myself. I said I was so he sent me a new one with a return label to send the old one back. No charge. Problems all fixed by talking to the manufacture of the levelers.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:43 PM   #11

I agree with NMWildcat find another location, or call around to see if any of them have had, these types of problems in their shop. Perhaps a shop with an older experienced tech? I will defend the dealer on this one, as a retired Road tech. the phantom intermittent problem are the worst to find, If its not broke, you cant fix it. Someone has to pay for the parts changed, especially, in the hopes, the parts fixes the problem. The Factory for a warranty, will not pay, if the Dealer returns non defective parts! I too have had the same problem, with my, Durango, ( I have a life time warranty ) intermittent issues are the nightmares for dealers' and customers'! The Dealer has to pay the tech. to try to find it! Either the Factory or the customer pays that cost!

Good luck! Hopefully some of these ideas on the Forum help! They have for me on some of my problems!

cheers... David
Old 03-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Close to a window? Had a leak that got the bed wet. Thinking it was the window I pulled it and found that it had not been centered in the opening. Place new duct putty, entered the window and reinstalled. Placed sealant across the top and 4-6" down the side.

You might place some Gorilla tape over suspected areas and try the water test. t sometimes takes a few minutes for the water to get to the leak.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:12 PM   #13

If they are Bigfoot I have been told by them to take the cover off and unplug the controls. Then plug back in and it will reset any default codes back to factory settings.
Chuck.virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #14

If the levelers are an independent system, I would want to remove all power while in transit. May not be possible.
On your leak, I woild have a sealtech air pressure test done. This will find all leaks. Ask your dealer. He should be able to set it up.
I just had my Sunseeker tested and found 18 possible leaks. We repaired the ones in areas we have had issues but took a wait and see on the other. Some I can fix myself.
Check the Sunseeker Forum for the pictures I posted.
Good luck on your intermittent leveler problem.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfriges View Post
The levelers on my unit were manufacture by Lippert.
I would call lippert, there C/S is really pretty good, they do try and help, I had to call them a few times when I had there complicated 6 pt. System to many screens and non information. I really didn't care how many degrees each jack was, I just wanted it level.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #16

RE the LEAK: Service found an upper flap on the slider with cracked caulking. They tested and found no more leaks. We'll find out this summer if it is really fixed.
RE the Levelers: Service couldn't duplicate so they charged me for their time an trouble. This chapter is still open!
Old 06-04-2020, 10:24 AM   #17

pursuit 29ss rainwater leaking inside

pursuit 29ss Took unit in over 5 different times to fix raib water leak, Water came inside from under front of slider and migrated behind the seats to door steps. It didn't matter if slider was in or out. Every time we took it in, they said it was coming from the front window of the slider and that includes taking it back to the factory. Every time they said they tested it an it was fixed. WRONG. Now out of warranty. Went to lemon lawyer and they suggested take it to a collision repair to see if they can fix it. Don't have the unit back yet but he found the pan under the refrigerator is supposed to drain out fridge water and any rainwater out of the unit. It only accepts so much water then will overflow into the coach. He warned me if the coach is parked with the passenger side very low, it will still leak.

Tags
service