Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #1

Need help choosing an expandable trailer

Hello,
We need help! My husband and I looked at a 2013 Coachmen 22DSX. We really liked it but of course think we should check out other brands. We are looking for a 21 - 23 ft. trailer that is expandable and has a pop out. We really liked that the coachmen has a popout that is almost the full length of the trailer. I have been trying to do research online, but find it hard and confusing to find info on the exandables. Another problem is that we live in the bay area and there arent a lot of rv dealers around. in fact, the only one that is somewhat close (within and 1 1/2 hr drive) only carries the coachmen expandable, which we have already seen. If anyone has opinions as to which brands they prefer, good websites for us to look at, or any input, I would really appreciate it. I dont want to buy the only trailer we have looked at. Doesnt seem like a good plan!
Thank you,
Christa
luckyme67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #2

I'd take a look at Rockwood Roo. The 21SS and 23ss are very nice.

Roo Hybrid Travel Trailers by Forest River

I was going to suggest taking a look at Jayco too but it doesn't look like they make a hybrid with a full slide anymore.

Jay Feather Ultra Lite Travel Trailers - Jayco
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Christa and welcome to the forum!

I think those two Roos or the sister versions in the Shamrock might fit the bill. I'm not too familiar with Coachman and there are not many owners on our forum but there are a few so maybe they can chime in.

Your last thought about floor plans is dead-on. The first rule of thumb to buying a trailer is to buy the best floor plan for your situation. All the rest will pale in comparison if the floor plan is wrong right off the bat.

The west coast seems to be light on Hybrids and dealers who sell the various lines generally charge higher prices than if you bought in the midwest. If you are willing, you might save thousands and have a wider selection of hybrids to choose from if you are willing to buy out of state. RV Wholesalers, RV Direct, House of Camping and others are all large dealerships that many order from; even though they are far away. Be aware that buying local does sometimes have its benefits, too; especially with servicing. You can look through a lot of threads regarding this issue.

Good luck with your buying decision and let us know if you have any more questions.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme67 View Post
Hello,
We need help! My husband and I looked at a 2013 Coachmen 22DSX. We really liked it but of course think we should check out other brands. We are looking for a 21 - 23 ft. trailer that is expandable and has a pop out. We really liked that the coachmen has a popout that is almost the full length of the trailer. I have been trying to do research online, but find it hard and confusing to find info on the exandables. Another problem is that we live in the bay area and there arent a lot of rv dealers around. in fact, the only one that is somewhat close (within and 1 1/2 hr drive) only carries the coachmen expandable, which we have already seen. If anyone has opinions as to which brands they prefer, good websites for us to look at, or any input, I would really appreciate it. I dont want to buy the only trailer we have looked at. Doesnt seem like a good plan!
Thank you, Christa
not sure where in the Bay Area you are, but there is a dealer with locations in Santa Rosa and Cordelia, that has Roo hybrids and one used '03 Tahoe hybrid.
also, Sacramento has a number of dealers with hybrids. not sure if the Vacaville Camping World has any, but they might.

hard to say since you don't specify where in the Bay Area you are.
i recommend the Roo/Shamrock and the Jayco and Starcraft hybrids.

warning: you're going to be shocked at what West Coast dealers charge for hybrids.
we ended up driving to Chicago and back for ours. we still saved over $4k after trip costs. and made the trip back, a camping trip.

send me a PM if you need any info or help shopping.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote