Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

15 degree temps (-10c)

Got a new 2018 xlr 30hds the underbelly is enclosed..but is there any heat getting in there to keep tanks n lines from freezing.?
Heading out hunting this weekend in northern ontario..and temps one night are showing -10celcius the heat will be on but what about everything in the enclosed underbelly .?.. I wanna fill the water tank for the weekend..we run off a generator and propane 24hrs a day
yamaharuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

I’ll be watching.....

But your temps are concern enough for me to not have water on board anywhere....and your rig is brand new?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:48 PM   #3

Well a few months old..used it a couple times already
Old 11-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
WFD

Typically there is some heat going into the storage area, and with the furnace in the underbelly there is usually always some heat getting in there. Having said that, -10c is getting chilly and not sure that will be enough to prevent water lines from freezing, sounds risky to me! Hopefully someone who has experienced those temps will chime in.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:01 PM   #5

Head south Quick !!
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:08 PM   #6

I wish..but that means i gotta take the wife..if i go hunting..she wont go..phew !
Old 11-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #7

Admins can you please find my post about heat tape and pipe foam insulation. This will definitely help the gentlemen. It (heat tape) can be placed from the inside. I picked up a new computer and cannot find where I posted same a week or so ago.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #8

I would not take a chance at that temp. There is not enough heat going in the underbelly and the insulation is not adequate. Itr is only a thin piece of aluminium foil and some sort of insulation
Lappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappy View Post
I would not take a chance at that temp. There is not enough heat going in the underbelly and the insulation is not adequate. Itr is only a thin piece of aluminium foil and some sort of insulation
Also any heat to the water compartment won't keep the city water inlet and any outside faucet/sprayer from freezing. I would suggest getting winterized and carry fresh water inside for cooking and drinking.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #10

Don't do it, at the bare minimum your tank valves will freeze as well as the fresh water hose from the tank to the pump, unless everything is enclosed, insulated, heat pads under the tanks and heat tape on the hoses.
Use water jugs and a porta potty.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Also any heat to the water compartment won't keep the city water inlet and any outside faucet/sprayer from freezing. I would suggest getting winterized and carry fresh water inside for cooking and drinking.
Totally not accurate if you get heat tape and insulate the pump/spigott. I found my pictures and I live in winter climate until hunting ends or I get bored ice fishing.

The heat tape can be put inside also around the water heater etc. My water heater is insulated but I added this also. I have spent month in - 30 F temps and no issues. Make sure you connect it to a battery 110V socket so if Genny or podium goes out you will have approx 20 hours on 1 deep cycle battery as back up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NF101.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	156036   Click image for larger version

Name:	NF 101 a.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	156037  
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharuss View Post
Got a new 2018 xlr 30hds the underbelly is enclosed..but is there any heat getting in there to keep tanks n lines from freezing.?
Heading out hunting this weekend in northern ontario..and temps one night are showing -10celcius the heat will be on but what about everything in the enclosed underbelly .?.. I wanna fill the water tank for the weekend..we run off a generator and propane 24hrs a day

Check out Heatline in Haliburton, Ontario.

Link to website:https://heatline.com/

They may be able to help.
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:03 PM   #13

15 degree temps (-10c)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharuss View Post

I’m heading out sat for a week hunting as well. I’m doing the exact same thing as you and I’m in the Ottawa area. I have added the heat tape to my drain pipes and wrapped them in fiberglass tape and vapor barrier. My plan if it gets to cold and I feel there maybe a problem is to wrap the outside of the trailer with 6 mil black poly and put a heater under the trailer. Not sure if that will help but it’s better then nothing I also have a 100 watt solar panel I hope will keep the battery topped up to run the furnace when we’re away and gen is off. To answer your original question your underbelly should have a duct going into that compartment to provide some heat.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #14

If you have anything like the "Arctic Package" or "Polar Package" you should be good if you have the furnace on. We camp in temps down to 10 to 15 degrees F. Only time we had a line freeze is when I thought I would cheap out and just run the propane heater instead of the furnace. That let the water line from the bathroom sink to the toilet freeze. We did have some freezing of the waste lines but a small heater and plastic sheeting took care of that.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #15

Tony,

Actually your response confirms that my post was accurate: heat from the water compartment will NOT protect those items.

If you add enough barriers, heaters and insulation you can live in an RV all winter long and more power to you.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #16

Knowing exactly where your onboard water tank is located is important. If you have an in floor heating vent in close proximity to the tank and you run your main furnace you likely will be ok assuming you don't have any wind with the cold.

Our unit has a closed underbelly. This summer dropped the cover for another reason to find the water tank was fully aft on the RV but, we had to separate heating ducts feeding floor units which had been placed close to water lines and water tank. We found ourselves in a similar situation with 18 Deg F temps with no freezing of onboard plumbing. We just ran our Suburban Furnace so not to confuse the thermostat.

Hope that helps a little
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #17

Thx all..im gonna winterize it..till i get some time to scope out where water lines are and tanks..and see how well things are routed in the heated area..
Old 11-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #18

This is a nice summer project . I think i will invest time and money with the heat tape and ad a ehaust directly to my tanks from my propane heater.

All the answers were very interesting.

Merci ( Thank's )
Lappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubanut View Post
I’m heading out sat for a week hunting as well. I’m doing the exact same thing as you and I’m in the Ottawa area. I have added the heat tape to my drain pipes and wrapped them in fiberglass tape and vapor barrier. My plan if it gets to cold and I feel there maybe a problem is to wrap the outside of the trailer with 6 mil black poly and put a heater under the trailer. Not sure if that will help but it’s better then nothing I also have a 100 watt solar panel I hope will keep the battery topped up to run the furnace when we’re away and gen is off. To answer your original question your underbelly should have a duct going into that compartment to provide some heat.

Dodged a bullet!!!
Well, I made it through the week without damaging anything. We had a flash freeze the day before I left with -25 c It never really warmed up much above 0 c. I had to run the furnace all the time, I wrapped the area around the low point drains, water tank and sewage drains with poly and some reflective board. I ran a heater under there when ever the generator was running and had tape heaters around the drains as well. I managed to winterize with pink before I came home.

Lesson learned: not worth the stress or worry of freezing lines. Next year I will winterize in the fall and use bottled water and not rely on onboard water.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #20

You make a good point about avoiding stress. Not what we need when camping! [emoji1303][emoji1303]